Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pellet smoker recommendation needed!!!!

11,009 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Streetfighter 02
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the non wifi version, so I can't speak to the Wi-Fi capabilities. I seem to be able to get enough done with a wireless probe.
NowhereMan
Yoder is one of the most expensive but it holds up, made in USA.

Recteq Traeger are China built

Pitts and Spits is a quality pellet designed and built in Houston.
Absolute
AG
So I have my recteq 1070. I have not been able to find drip pan liners. Do they exist? Is there an offbrand alternative? Suggestions on lining the drip tray (the Teflon liner is "sold out".
Shooz in Katy
AG
Just heavy duty aluminum foil. That's all you need. The wide kind.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
EFE said:

Start your brisket straight out of the fridge at 45* (or whatever your fridge is set at I just notice that mine probe at 45* or thereabouts when I start) . I also start the first 100* of cook at 225*, then bump it to 250* until done. And the last thing I do differently is I do not wrap and instead use a lemon butter sop anytime I open the lid. Usually every hour after it gets to 165*.

And fat side down.

Trying this recipe today on the new bullseye deluxe. Will report back.
EFE
AG
Bolners #30 pepper
Kosher Salt
Mustard Flour
superunknown
AG
EFE said:

Bolners #30 pepper
Kosher Salt
Mustard Flour

go on...

Also last brisket I did, I added celery seed to my s&p mix to see if it would help out the smoke ring. Idk if it did or not but I'm also pretty sure I don't care at this point .
EFE
AG
Ground Mustard=Mustard Flour, just depends on who's selling it

I'm using this:
https://a.co/d/fyfS1Mo
and I could swear the packaging I'm using says "Mustard Flour", or at least one of the prior big containers like that I've bought said "Mustard Flour"

My process is pepper first, then salt, then mustard, then seal up in a vac bag the night before cooking.
superunknown
AG
Ahh i gotcha, figured that was = ground mustard. Having used yeller mustard (or fancier if thats all I have) as a binder for the rub, does is it provide much flavor or color?
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Will try adding the mustard flour next weekend. Brisket turned out fine but didn't bark as good as your pic. I made some brisket kolaches with the leftovers and my one year old loves them so all in all was a success.
gggmann
AG
I've had my recteq for about a month now. I've been using Knotty Wood almond pellets, and I've been happy w/ the amount of smoke flavor I'm getting. Also, I found that if I prefill the burn pot about 1/2 way w/ pellets before starting and put on my meat when i start it up I get a lot of smoke at the beginning which helps.
AgsMyDude
AG
TrailerTrash said:

Yoder YS640 and don't look back
EFE
AG
superunknown said:

Ahh i gotcha, figured that was = ground mustard. Having used yeller mustard (or fancier if thats all I have) as a binder for the rub, does is it provide much flavor or color?

Not so much that it tastes like you're eating a Dodger dog, but I think it combined with the lemon butter all marry very well.
EFE
AG
Doing some Dino ribs tomorrow.

Same rub as my brisket
Will post final product
superunknown
AG
Ribzzzzz
EFE
AG
My ribs just hit 165*
EFE
AG
175*, bark is starting to take shape
superunknown
AG
And they're done.
EFE
AG
Damn thing stalled right after my last pic, just broke out and creeping up to 185*. Not popping the the top again until it hits 195*

And I usually start briskets at 6am to avoid this, but sleep sounded better this morning so it didn't go on until 9ish
EFE
AG
Just came off, rest and cut in a bit
EFE
AG
These are pretty ridiculous…
AgsMyDude
AG
Time and temp?

I've only done these once and they were super dry
EFE
AG
Went on a 9ish at 225, then bumped to 250 once they hit 100 internal. Pulled at 200 when they probed like butter at 8pm and let rest until 9.
AgsMyDude
AG
Did you wrap or anything for that hour? Or did they maintain temp?
EFE
AG
I have a styrofoam cooler that I use to hold temp while resting, similar to a Cambro
TXAGFAN
AG
TrailerTrash said:

Disagree re: Yoder. Their construction is not as good, as well as paint quality and when I bought mine controller too, compared to P&S.

Get a P&S and never look back, I LOVE mine.
Philip J Fry
AG
cityagboy said:

Hey y'all!

I'm looking to buy a pellet smoker. I know many hate on them but I'm looking for something a little easier than the offset.

What have y'all used and what would you recommend? Can you turn any on for quick grilling or are they only used for smoking?

Thanks!

Masterbuilt gravity fed charcoal grill/smoker.
superunknown
AG
EFE said:

These are pretty ridiculous…

Does it make me a bbq snob to say that beef is far superior bbq to pork? My ribs were fine. But I'd throw them all in the trash for a beef rib. Pulled pork and ribs just bore me.
AgsMyDude
AG
Sweet, I'll try that next time.

I bet I met mine go a little too long on the smoker and didn't rest.

Thanks
NColoradoAG
TXAGFAN said:

TrailerTrash said:

Disagree re: Yoder. Their construction is not as good, as well as paint quality and when I bought mine controller too, compared to P&S.

I agree. Ive seen and cooked on both and don't understand why anyone in Texas would choose an ugly ass Yoder made in Kansas when Pitts and Spitts is in your backyard. If/when I get a pellet it'll definitely be a P&S.
AggieSam02
AG
I have sold both.

Yoder is made very well. P&S is probably slightly better built.

The look is subjective. I personally prefer the Yoder design, especially with the competition cart. The standard carts are about the same as far as the cart is concerned.

P&S costs more when you add the Wi-Fi controller. The Wi-Fi interface and the controller are MUCH MUCH better in the Yoder. It used fireboard as a third party app and it's seamless. You can also pair the fireboard spark instant read Wi-Fi thermometer.

Yoder comes with two probes. P&S one probe.

All in all you can't go wrong really with either unit. If anyone's interested we still sell Yoders at Creekstoneoutdoors.com and I have them in stock.
AggieSam02
AG

Bmac04
AG
Was looking at P&S, Yoder and Lone Star Grillz and decided on LSG. Have had it for a few months and it's been phenomenal.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
TXAGFAN said:

TrailerTrash said:

Little more to the RecTec comment too.. metal is fabricated in China. The electronics, assembly, quality control and powder coating is all USA out of Georgia. Their customer service is also fantastic. I've only had one issue in 4 years on mine and that was lightening/surge related. Guy called me from his cell phone on a Sunday and processed a warranty claim on something I thought for sure I'd be paying out of pocket for.. had the new part in 48hrs and then they called again making sure I didn't have issues wiring it back up.
agdad01
Lone star grillz makes a very good product. They are out of Conroe. Very well built and all American fabricated. Uses FireBoard controllers, short auger and easy to clean fire pot
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.