Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Who else has given up on turkey?

9,928 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bruce Almighty
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiedata said:

Nope!

We had two fried turkeys and two smoked turkey breast. The family voted next year to have all smoked turkey. It was a major hit.

Ok I'm dropping the challengeā€¦ next one you do that's not under scrutiny by othersā€¦ wrap with butter at 135*F and pull at 145*F and rest in a warming oven or yeti cooler for 20 min. Then serve.
Ag 11
AG
We did ribeyes at my house on Thanksgiving & they were delicious
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Honey glazed smoked ham. Way easier and quite tasty.
jtp01
AG
We did Thanksgiving by ourselves this year, wife, 2 boys and me. We decided to just get a smoked turkey breast from Rudy's for ease. We cooked a ham and did home made sides. I made a killer Mac and cheese, wife did dressing and the usual sides. But the Brussels Sprouts were amazing.

We kept things very simple this year. It was the first holiday in our new home and it was perfect. No stress with tons of people coming over. It's funny how when stress is gone how things go so much better. We laughed and all 4 of us were working in the kitchen together. It was a perfect day.

We did have family come over for drinks, and snacks about 6 pm and enjoyed the company.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I sous vide a'la Kenji. Last year was turchetta but this time I just seasoned liberally the night before with meatchurch holy gospel, rolled and tied into a uniform log, then toss the bag in the water the next morning.

Best I've done yet. Removed skin first and blackened b/w 2 cookie sheets with parchment. That went to the trash. It was an oven in an Airbnb and I should have pulled it earlier.
Take the trash out staff.
Cyprian
AG
newbie11 said:

Being Chinese, the only reason I ever cook a Turkey is to use the carcass to make jook or congee. Roasted a 24 lb bird today because I had 12 people over. Gave away all the meat that was leftover and kept the carcass for myself. IYKYK.

Hell yea! Big congee fan here, we use up meat too... but don't let those good bones go to waste!
aggiedata
AG
Just a tip for those thinking about smoked turkey breast for Thanksgiving: I have seen many HEB Natural Turkey breast at the store recently. I would get them now and freeze for November. They are tough to find the closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas.
bigtruckguy3500
Interesting thread. I'm also not fond of turkey. But I've only ever done the oven roasted. Just too dry and tasteless for me. I have had smoked turkey before that my cousin make, since he has a smoker, and that was tasty. But until I get a smoker, I think I'm going to be just avoiding it.
DiskoTroop
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Interesting thread. I'm also not fond of turkey. But I've only ever done the oven roasted. Just too dry and tasteless for me. I have had smoked turkey before that my cousin make, since he has a smoker, and that was tasty. But until I get a smoker, I think I'm going to be just avoiding it.
Follow the steps I posted on page one for a boneless turkey breast. Just bake at smoker temps (250*-275*F) to internal temp of 135*-140*, foil wrap in butter, continue to bake to internal temp of ~150*F. Let it rest for half an hour. You'll never go back.

REMEMBER... A: pasteurization is a function of time and temperature. You do NOT have to cook poultry to 165*F internal temp to be safe. 10 min at 150* does the same thing. B: Dark meat is a completely different game. These suggestions are for White Meat only.
DiskoTroop
aggiedata said:

Just a tip for those thinking about smoked turkey breast for Thanksgiving: I have seen many HEB Natural Turkey breast at the store recently. I would get them now and freeze for November. They are tough to find the closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Solid rec.
HTownAg98
I cooked the Honeysuckle brand (HEB was out of theirs), and it was really good. Soaked in plain water for 30 minutes, then rubbed it with garlic powder, black pepper, and some smoked paprika. These things can take a little more heat because they're nearly cured.
Charlie_Harper
These are money! Berta made some last Thanksgiving!
Gilligan
AG
Go small. I buy multiple turkeys under 10lbs and they're awesome oven roasted.
Gilligan
AG
DiskoTroop said:

aggiedata said:

Solid rec.
The rub in the pic is awesome on smoked turkey.
aggiedata
AG
Update from my HEB meat manager: if you haven't got your turkey breast yet, a big shipment is coming in mid week next week. It's going to be Honeysuckle brand but you can't tell any difference from the HEB Natural brand.
DiskoTroop
aggiedata said:

Update from my HEB meat manager: if you haven't got your turkey breast yet, a big shipment is coming in mid week next week. It's going to be Honeysuckle brand but you can't tell any difference from the HEB Natural brand.

I think HEB's are Honeysuckle rebranded.
DiskoTroop
aggiedata said:

I am chicken! Maybe I'll go lower when the pressure is off. I got a ton of kudos at 165. Now I just want to repeat it for the big day. If I put it in the warm oven to rest , I can see it meeting the threshold, but I don't want to tweak it now.

You ever try the lower finish temp?
aggiedata
AG
I bought two last year after visiting 5 HEB's in search of them. The more popular smoking turkey breast get, the harder they are to find this time of year.
aggiedata
AG
Does 155 count?
DiskoTroop
aggiedata said:

Does 155 count?

Chicken!
Ornlu
AG
aggiedata said:

I bought two last year after visiting 5 HEB's in search of them. The more popular smoking turkey breast get, the harder they are to find this time of year.

I really can't understand this. I bought an entire 15lb turkey on Sunday for $1.09 a pound. It cost just over half this, and has two breasts. Plus I get the legs, wings, and thighs for free.
aggiedata
AG
You need to chop it up to get a good smoke, it's better to just have all the same meat, either white or dark for consistency as they each need different temps.

Also its already brined. So you pay more per pound for the process.

I'm not a big fan of dark meat. I'd rather just get what I like.
DiskoTroop
Also I've deboned a number of turkeys. Never seen a whole bird with breasts as big as these boneless ones. Must be growing these in Dollywood or something.
Ornlu
AG
I mean, if you'd rather pay more to get less ...

A fool and his money shall soon be parted.
StinkyPinky
AG
Man, I'd love to can the traditional Turkey at T-Giving. But family won't have it, traditionalists. Would rather do a Surf and Turf.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
good info here
Bocephus
AG
I'm not a big Turkey guy. Pretty much the only time I cook it all year so I'm good with doing it once a year. I find Turkey by itself to be pretty bland, so have to smoke it or fry it to change the flavor a little.
TAMU ā€˜98 Ole Miss ā€˜21
cecil77
AG
Smoked breast side down, I actually love turkey. Try to do a couple other than just Thanksgiving and Christmas.
dustin999
AG
I tried talking the wife into ditching the standard Thanksgiving menu for something more appropriate for a "food" holiday... it almost ended in divorce.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Family is split on oven roasted or smoked. So instead of 1 big bird, we're now doing 2 smaller birds.

Works for me.
Farmer1906
AG
For the life of me, I cannot understand why people like roasted turkey over fried or smoked.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I tried fried once and wasn't impressed. Smoked is 100% the way to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.