Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pellet smokers recteq rt-700 vs treager pro series 700

5,041 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agdaddy04
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about investing in a pellet smoker.

After some research, I think I have narrowed things down to one of those two choices.

Thoughts and experiences from those that may have one or who has personal experience with the different brands.

Tia
Old Town Ag
AG
Grilla Silverback
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I own the rectec 700 and it is fantastic. I don't know what else to say. No complaints about it in any way.
FIDO*98*
AG
I wish Rectec would make a straight bar handle available. I like their grills, but the bull horns look idiotic to me
dallasiteinsa02
I had an Traeger Ironwood and now have a Recteq 1250. The Traeger couldn't get hot enough to sear but was a great smoker. The Recteq is just a better built all around smoker. It is like you took all the parts and went with the better option than Traeger would choose every time.

I agree on the handles and wish someone would come out with an aftermarket option.
smstork1007
AG
Have the Recteq 2500 BFG and could not be more happy with it. Had for close to two years and never a single problem or issue. Parents have the 700 and i've used it a handful of times at their place, and other than size, it's the same. Hopper size would also be a consideration for me, i cook briskets very low to start, and usually overnight, so the recteq 40lb hopper versus the 18lb on the Traeger is disappointing. Double the warranty on recteq also, not that I think you will need it.
Absolute
AG
Thanks for the responses. They appear to reinforce the information I found online.
Mookie
AG
I own an RT 590 and feel the same way. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the RT 10/10 times
NoHo Hank
AG
I have an RT700 too. Couple things to know:

The newer version of it has a better on board computer, which makes connecting to wifi better. My version had issues with that, which was annoying cause every now and again it would unpair - only 2-3 times in 5 years owning it. So that should be fine, but if you get it and it's not pairing, that's because you need to force your phone onto 2.4GHZ band. Which you can do through your router app or just by walking to the edge of your range.

Regardless of the pellet smoker, if you want a super robust smoke flavor you ain't gonna get it. A smoke tube can help I'm told, but I don't use one. Really smokey stuff gives me indigestion, and so this is a nice compromise for me.

Watch out for humidity with your pellets. They'll break apart in the hopper and then you gotta empty it and clean out the auger, which is a PITA.

Others may disagree but I don't find the pellets make a huge difference. I've bought premium ones at $1/lb and I've bought cheap ones. These days, I just get the pitboss bags from lowes. $17 for a 40lb bag for their competition blend, which is good enough and on the lower end for price.

Other than that, it's great. 80 cents on a log burner's dollar with 1% of the work. Someone might show up with that stupid meme of the cut off jeans and the easy bake oven comments, but I've got a little kid with another one on the way. I can't stay up all night babysitting my smoker. The convenience factor is so much higher.
Seamaster
AG
i was gonna get the RecTec and shortly before I did I found a Traeger Pro on sale pretty massively so decided to save the cash and got the Traeger. Been very happy with it. Really great smoker - haven't tried a very hot cook yet because when I am searing I tend us use the fire disc.
jtp01
AG
I have the Traeger. Bought during the Labor Day sale. I really like it for the simplicity. I can turn it on and enjoy the cook. My only complaint is the tremendous temp loss when you open the lid, but warms right back up.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Something else to take a look at - Gravity Cookers.

I was steering towards a RT-700 but just didn't want to spend $1K when I found the gravity grill/smokers from Masterbuilt and Char-griller.

I went with the Char-Griller 980 - same concept as a pellet grill, but uses normal charcoal &/or wood. I've been really pleased so far.
rononeill
Recteq here - just be prepared to buy the searing plates if youre looking to grill. it's just an oven without them. im a cheaps so i just took the cast iron grate from my bge bc i havent wanted to spend 100 on the plates.

BUT - it is so easy to use. i love(d) my bge but, even though i was proficient with it, i still had the periodic longer-thank-expected-to-get-the-fire-going that i dont miss at all.
Absolute
AG
Thanks for the info, very useful and answered some questions I hadn't asked.
Absolute
AG
I could see doing this. My research suggests no big complaints with Traeger, just the recteq is slightly better in most ways. May wait until the end of the month to see if any black Friday sales pop up.
Absolute
AG
I saw these. Reviews looked good. Don't need more options..... Information overload.....
Absolute
AG
This is basically me. I plan to keep the kamodo for actual grilling high heat stuff. So I'm cool with the pellet unit basically being an oven/smoker.
Absolute
AG
Any advice/tips on cleaning. Hear that is a big deal with these. The lack of a way to empty the hopper was the one big negative I saw in the recteq design. Figure maybe you just get a small shop vac for grill ash cleaning duty.

Other advice on general use or factors to consider?
superunknown
AG
Absolute said:

Any advice/tips on cleaning. Hear that is a big deal with these. The lack of a way to empty the hopper was the one big negative I saw in the recteq design. Figure maybe you just get a small shop vac for grill ash cleaning duty.

I don't empty the hopper on mine but I'm lazy. Shop vac a good idea for ash cleaning but mine tends to run pretty clean so I just scooped most of it out with a paper plate since I didn't feel like messing with the shop vac.
Absolute
AG
Understand that, I tend to be lazy on that too. One reason I like my Kamodo grill. Clean and oil the cooking surface, close it up. Reuse the charcoal.

Also part of the reason I like the idea of turning on the pellet grill with an app, setting and forgetting. I need all the advantages I can get in the cooking arena.
Txmoe
AG
Absolute said:

I live in BCS which is more humid than any place not called Houston or some parish in LA. I have a Traeger and have never bothered to empty out the hopper between smokes. I'm sure you can buy a better pellet smoker than Traeger but I got mine at a good price and it's never given me a lick of trouble. So, between the two you're looking at, I'd go with the best value. We're at the end of the grilling season so you can probably find a good deal on one of those.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have never emptied anything on my rectec. I think I will look into this today.

Actually, I emptied the drip bucket once. That's it. Probably time to do that again.
superunknown
AG
I have a pitboss so it's probably janky low rent compared to a traeger or others but I also don't always trust the onboard temp gauge and for some reason (I think my phone forgets the settings) I can't always get Bluetooth or wifi to work unless I'm standing next to it, but I don't mind checking the hopper and temp every hour or so, especially on the brisket cooks where I seem to wind up overshooting on the flat to the point where it's dried as hell. But the trial and error is fun.
Positive Yardage
AG
I have a GMG, but to add to the hopper clean out discussion I have vacuumed it out once in 4 years of use, and it was only because I got a wild hair to use the shop vac. The hopper empty function is helpful to change out pellets for different blends (going from mild with chicken to oak for brisket etc) but I haven't needed to 'clean' it.
fire09
AG
Recteq 590 owner checking in. Cooked on a traeger several times. 590 is the superior grill. I don't use it for searing, keep a little 3 burner propane grill for that. I have the sear plates, they work ok at best.

I also bought the attachment that sits on the combustion chamber that allows you to combust real wood chunks. You can use these on either grill. It helps the smoke flavor significantly. Be careful using these, they will set your grill on fire if you are not paying attention.

I use the RT at least 2-3x a month, and have made some of the best food I've ever cooked, at volume for large groups. This weekend was the first time I ever ran out of space on the grill, cooking chicken legs and wings for 15 people. Not sure of your mission, but I was torn between the 590 and 700, and the 590 has been perfect size.
Absolute
AG
Good to know. Sort of randomly picked the 700 for being in the middle,but you are right, the 590 would probably be fine for what we would do with it.

Anyone know if recteqs go on sale for black Friday or other holiday times? Trying to decide if I should wait for a potential sale or just go ahead and pull the trigger.
NoHo Hank
AG
Rectec didn't used to do sales, but I bet they'll have some black friday sale this year.

As for cleaning, it's generally not a huge issue. 1-2 times a year, I'll take out the drip tray and shop vac out the ash. Takes less than 15 minutes. No biggie.

I used to be a bit more neurotic about cleaning the drip tray and grates, but honestly, don't think that's a huge issue. My drip tray is pretty dirty right now but I'm not sure it matters.

Cleaning out the pellets is a PITA if you actually have to do it, because the pellets in the auger itself are super hard to get to. But, I've only had to do that twice in 5ish years, and once was clearly my fault - I was using marginal pellets that were clearly decomposing a bit.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Absolute said:

Good to know. Sort of randomly picked the 700 for being in the middle,but you are right, the 590 would probably be fine for what we would do with it.

Anyone know if recteqs go on sale for black Friday or other holiday times? Trying to decide if I should wait for a potential sale or just go ahead and pull the trigger.

I bought mine on Black Friday last year. They knocked it down like $125 or so. I did exactly what they wanted and added on the folding shelf for just about $125, so basically you get the shelf for free. The shelf is nice.

They did run a promotion of buy a 700 and get a bullseye at a serious discount. That might be worth investigating. The little bullseye works well for camping or small tailgating.
Absolute
AG
Well ***** The recteq prices went up a hundred bucks today. Guess I should have pulled the trigger. Suppose now I'll wait until black Friday to see if they come down again. Not going to need it until after that anyway.
aggiedata
AG
I bought a RecTeq 700 this past month after reading several threads on the Outdoor board. I really like it.

They had a bundle deal going with pellets, spices, grill mat and cover.
I like the RecTeq rock solid Wi-Fi hookup and app. It is very easy and works flawlessly.
We have been enjoying it so much I haven't been using my gas grill at all.

aggiedata
AG
Quote:

These days, I just get the pitboss bags from lowes. $17 for a 40lb bag for their competition blend, which is good enough and on the lower end for price.

Did you know that Costco has relabeled Pitboss pellets to Kirkland at $12.99?

Absolute
AG
For those looking, recteq started their black Friday sale. Not huge, but can save a couple hundred or so depending on what you buy.

Think I'm going to go ahead and get the 700.
agdaddy04
AG
Just went ahead and got one, thanks for the heads up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.