Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's on your Thanksgiving menu?

12,114 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DiskoTroop
aa4136
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for inspiration.
Martin Cash
AG
Sauerkraut
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
FIDO*98*
AG
Hopefully anything besides Turkey and Dressing with a bunch of casseroles. My dreams are typically shattered by family though.
jh0400
AG
Martin Cash said:

Sauerkraut

I am considering smoking a turkey breast and serving Alsatian-style sauerkraut along with it as a riff on choucroute garnie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm hosting Thanksgiving for the first time ever, so I'm going conservative. I'm smoking a cajun flavored turkey and making the stuffing. I'm sure the rest of my family is bringing the usuals.
beagle2009
AG
My FIL usually does an air fried Turkey in one of those big outdoor air fryers, and I normally smoke a brisket. Will also have jalapeño cornbread dressing, smoked boudin and sausage, and a million sides/casseroles. Thinking about making dirty rice for the first time this year.
Ornlu
AG
Duck confit
Potatoes au gratin
Ratatouille
Rosemary Espagnole sauce
Tarte au chocolat l'orange

And probably some cornbread stuffing. Because Thanksgiving.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Smoked a rabbit for Dad's birthday as something different and it was delicious. If you have to do a turkey, spatchcock, brine and smoke.
10andBOUNCE
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Hopefully anything besides Turkey and Dressing with a bunch of casseroles. My dreams are typically shattered by family though.

Agree. Last few years we have been grilling up some nice filets and sides/deserts people are actually thankful for.
MookieBlaylock
AG
waiting to see turkey prices this year- could be Chilli over spaghetti
Max Power
AG
Dang, Thanksgiving is around the corner and I don't even know whose house is hosting. We had it last year and I got one of the Popeye's turkeys and it was ok, didn't understand all the fuss. If it's us again I'll probably order a smoked one from one of the bbq places around here. But since we hosted last year I'd prefer one of the other houses take that responsibility due to all the planning and cleanup. My wife and I try to go all out but it's a huge undertaking. The rest of the family just doesn't put in the same kind of effort that we do so the meal isn't as good, but it's certainly much less work for us.

If we don't host all I really ask is for some high quality mashed potatoes and some pecan pie.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Last year I deboned a turkey, stuffed it with dirty rice, and smoked it. Looked real nice on the plate.
cbaker20
Spatchcocked turkey
Braised red cabbage with apples
Cornbread dressing
Rice dressing
Giblet gravy
Pecan pie
Milk bread rolls

I could just have the 2 dressings with gravy and be happy.
Buzzy

Think we're having a big crew over for this year, so expecting either stuffed shells or lasagna

a turkey and/or a smoked ham

normal sides of stuffing/green beans/rolls/salad

Wild West Pimp Style
Rattler12
Max Power said:

Dang, Thanksgiving is around the corner and I don't even know whose house is hosting. We had it last year and I got one of the Popeye's turkeys and it was ok, didn't understand all the fuss. If it's us again I'll probably order a smoked one from one of the bbq places around here. But since we hosted last year I'd prefer one of the other houses take that responsibility due to all the planning and cleanup. My wife and I try to go all out but it's a huge undertaking. The rest of the family just doesn't put in the same kind of effort that we do so the meal isn't as good, but it's certainly much less work for us.

If we don't host all I really ask is for some high quality mashed potatoes and some pecan pie.
It could be worse for you. We've hosted TG for the last 20 years with anywhere from 35 to 45 people showing up. I fry 2 14 poundish turkeys and bake another 20 plus pounder, make about 12 lbs of mashed potatoes and a gallon or so of gravy. Others folks bring sides, desserts, bread, wine etc.
FincAg
AG
Brisket, smoked chicken and sausage
Cornbread dressing
Twice bake potatoes
Bacon Brussels
Sweet potato casserole
Country style green beans
Copper penny carrots (for the kids)

Pennsylvania Dutch
Woodford Reserve
Toddy House Vodka - new from Goldthwaite/Priddy
Coors Light
bularry
FIDO*98* said:

I'm guess I'm the exception, but I like a good roasted turkey and my wife's family dressing recipe.
bularry
Ornlu said:

Duck confit
Potatoes au gratin
Ratatouille
Rosemary Espagnole sauce
Tarte au chocolat l'orange

And probably some cornbread stuffing. Because Thanksgiving.
how many people do you do duck confit for? Where do you buy your duck (or do you hunt duck)?
BurnetAggie99
Smoked Turducken
Smoked Brisket
Smoked Bone-In Whole Ham
Smoked Cornish Hens
Bavarian Potato Salad
Rotkohl Bavarian Red Cabbage
Big pot of Pinto Beans
Boudin Balls
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Cajun style Bread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Mac & Cheese
Greek Style Salad
Homemade Rolls
Various Homemade Dips, Queso and Salsa
Then there will a ton of homemade pies and so forth for desserts.
TXAG 05
AG
We always do steaks. I'll smoke a Turkey breast for sandwiches later
GIF Reactor
AG
Be the change you want to see
GIF Reactor
AG
bularry said:

FIDO*98* said:

I'm guess I'm the exception, but I like a good roasted turkey and my wife's family dressing recipe.

+1. I respect the tradition.

AustinCountyAg
I agree. Give me a steak, fried fish, shrimp, beef fajitas, anything really besides turkey and a damn honey ham.

Of course the in laws insist on making every typical thanksgiving dish imaginable and they barely get eaten.
HTownAg98
bularry said:

FIDO*98* said:

Same. Most of my family are pretty good cooks, so we usually have good sides to go with the turkey. When it comes to the turkey, I prefer to slow roast the breast and braise the legs and thighs.
Ornlu
AG
bularry said:

how many people do you do duck confit for? Where do you buy your duck (or do you hunt duck)?
8 Adults, 7 kids under 10. I do 3 birds at a time, in 1 big roasting pan. I just get it from my normal grocery.
schmellba99
AG
Fried turkey
Usually another meat of some sort - either a small brisket, maybe a small rib roast, etc.
Generally do some pork belly burnt ends as a snack while I'm cooking everything else
Sometimes I throw a few links of deer sausage on as well for appetizers

We do green bean casserole, not my favorite but it's always there
I make home made mac and cheese with some mixture of cheeses I come across or have on hand
My grandmother's oyster-rice dressing is always on the menu
Maybe some other item but nothing regular

The last few years I've really hammered on the attendees to not bring a lot of food, because we never eat it all and everything but the turkey and meats end up going to waste. We still make way too much but are getting a little better on volume.
schmellba99
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Smoked a rabbit for Dad's birthday as something different and it was delicious. If you have to do a turkey, spatchcock, brine and smoke.
Fry. In oil. Always.
Max Power
AG
Rattler12 said:

Max Power said:

It could be worse for you. We've hosted TG for the last 20 years with anywhere from 35 to 45 people showing up. I fry 2 14 poundish turkeys and bake another 20 plus pounder, make about 12 lbs of mashed potatoes and a gallon or so of gravy. Others folks bring sides, desserts, bread, wine etc.
Dang, I thought it was bad when we have a dozen people at our house.
Rattler12
schmellba99 said:

Fried turkey
Usually another meat of some sort - either a small brisket, maybe a small rib roast, etc.
Generally do some pork belly burnt ends as a snack while I'm cooking everything else
Sometimes I throw a few links of deer sausage on as well for appetizers

We do green bean casserole, not my favorite but it's always there
I make home made mac and cheese with some mixture of cheeses I come across or have on hand
My grandmother's oyster-rice dressing is always on the menu
Maybe some other item but nothing regular

The last few years I've really hammered on the attendees to not bring a lot of food, because we never eat it all and everything but the turkey and meats end up going to waste. We still make way too much but are getting a little better on volume.
We have the same problem with leftovers. There are 7 families involved, all kin, my side and MZ R's side and everyone thinks they need to bring enough for 35 plus people. I tried to explain for years that they didn't need to make that much of whatever they were bringing but to no avail. The rule is now if you brought it in it goes home with you. My MIL used to put it on 20 years ago and she was mid 70's then. I asked her at her last if she was OK with me taking over and hosting at our place. I thought that I might offend her but her reply was.....I thought you'd never ask. Sweet lady may she rest in peace and she raised a wonderful daughter.
Rattler12
Max Power said:

Rattler12 said:

Max Power said:

Dang, I thought it was bad when we have a dozen people at our house.
I'm used to cooking for large groups. Was involved in the Cowboy Breakfast in SA for years. Still involved with the SA rodeo Jr, Livestock auction where we cook for 300 or so buyers three days in a row, Did a funeral wake dinner for about 250 several years back for the family of a deceased friend. Another birthday dinner for another friend with about the same number. Last April we que'd somewhere around 350 chicken halves for a local fundraising benefit.
GIF Reactor
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Smoked Turducken
Smoked Brisket
Smoked Bone-In Whole Ham
Smoked Cornish Hens
Bavarian Potato Salad
Rotkohl Bavarian Red Cabbage
Big pot of Pinto Beans
Boudin Balls
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Cajun style Bread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Mac & Cheese
Greek Style Salad
Homemade Rolls
Various Homemade Dips, Queso and Salsa
Then there will a ton of homemade pies and so forth for desserts.

HtownAg92
AG
In-laws are in charge of the mains (bird and dressing) every other year, so I make sure that we have something green and not casserole -- roasted brussels and sauteed green beans. Sometimes I tip my cap to my grandmother and make an old school cold pea salad (with bacon, cheddar, Miracle Whip). I might pre-make a pan of crawfish dressing this year.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Holy **** can I come over?
BurnetAggie99
Thanksgiving is when we have a big family reunion. So will have a lot of over for that time. So why there is always a lot of food. I usually do all the BBQ stuff since I have the big reverse flow stick burner pit. I'll also do the Pinto Beans, German Potato Salad & German Red Cabbage since I know my German Grandfather's recipes.
bularry
Ornlu said:

bularry said:

8 Adults, 7 kids under 10. I do 3 birds at a time, in 1 big roasting pan. I just get it from my normal grocery.
nice, I like it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.