Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Food Trailer ?'s

5,539 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 62strat
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Max06 said:

djmeen95 said:

B-1 83 said:

zooguy96 said:

B-1 83 said:

I'm thinking this food truck/trailer needs a TexAgs inspired name…….

You got one?

I was thinking "Flacos Tacos" - but I'm sure there is someone who has a better idea.
"Not Your Mama's Taco"

Or….

Your Mama's Taco.

Nacho Mama's Tacos

This one was my favorite. There is a "Nacho Buzinez" truck - but, it's not specifically tacos. And, it's average. Feta cheese in a taco.
zooguy96
ToddyHill said:

Hey Zoo...I think I can help you. I work with a guy in management that has a food 'trailer,' which he pulls with his pickup truck. All decked out and he's been permitted and inspected by the local health department in Sevier County. Let me talk to him on Tuesday and I'll get his cell number and forward it to you.

No question your idea has legs, even here in East Tennessee. And while you say the Mexican food sucks here (it does), I do believe there has been some progress...went to Soccer Taco in Market Square a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Probably a 7 out of 10 (which wouldn't cut it in Texas), but better than it used to be.

Toddy, give me a call. I think you have my #. If not, let me know.
djmeen95
AG
We're Jalapeño Bidness
ValleyRatAg
AG
Beto's Real Mexican Tacos
ToddyHill
AG
Zoo...

I thought I had your number but I don't. Shoot me an email at ,

psoasmajorman "at" "ya" "hoo" dot com

Thanks.

By the way, I talked to my co-worker and he'd be happy to talk to you about the in's and out's of getting set up and permitted.
zooguy96
ToddyHill said:

Zoo...

I thought I had your number but I don't. Shoot me an email at ,

psoasmajorman "at" "ya" "hoo" dot com

Thanks.

By the way, I talked to my co-worker and he'd be happy to talk to you about the in's and out's of getting set up and permitted.

I sent you an email.
zooguy96
These are some tacos I made for dinner. I make my tacos a little different. All they have here is meat + onions + cilantro and crappy salsa.

My base taco is marinated meat (I made up the recipe), seasoned rice, queso fresco, and lime juice. I also have homemade queso that people love to add to their tacos. I add the rice, as it adds a different texture and is an additional vehicle for a little bit different flavor profile.

This one also had homemade guacamole- I'm going to probably go with a guacamole sauce (guacamole blended with Greek yogurt) - it's very good.

I also make homemade salsa as an additional add-on.

I don't make the tacos super spicy - but blend in the flavors of peppers in a subtle way. People here don't do super spicy.

cslifer
You also need to check on permitting for all the different jurisdictions you plan on working in, it seems like all the requirements are slightly different. For instance you mentioned no gas because you don't want to mess with suppression systems. That works in some places but not others (College Station for instance).
Potcake
AG
Looks tasty but also a little light for 4-5 dollars, especially in TN.
Ornlu
AG
I would happily pay $3.50 for that taco, and order 3 of them.
Captain Winky
Are there any farmer's markets in your area that you could setup shop and use as a trial run/test of your concept to see if it works before dropping a bunch of money into a truck? I have seen plenty of these in Houston. Just a thought.
zooguy96
Captain Winky said:

Are there any farmer's markets in your area that you could setup shop and use as a trial run/test of your concept to see if it works before dropping a bunch of money into a truck? I have seen plenty of these in Houston. Just a thought.

I have already done this; that is how I know my food will be well received.

I also make tacos for my students at the end of each semester; I've been doing that for 7 1/2 years. All of them love my tacos and have been telling me I need to open a food trailer.

All of the money I would be sinking into this does not come from my primary job; i've sold things and done a lot of odd jobs for people this summer. Normally, I'd be sitting around doing nothing, as I am a teacher and have 10 weeks off.
twiley51
AG
Our family owns and runs a crawfish trailer and only open on weekends. However, buying propane, food, prep, etc make it at least a 5 day job. As others have said it is hard work. We were fortunate to be able to pay off trailer in one year. Again, hard work. It has to be a passion. Really work to get caterings which are much more profitable. Good luck.
medwriter
javajaws said:

Make a business plan. Figure out what you need to do to succeed.
I'm a BD guy and this is NECESSARY. You weigh the pros and cons, your potential customer base, etc. Good idea.
zooguy96
There were too many numbers in the phone number you sent me for that guy with the food trailer. Please email me again when you get a chance.
62strat
AG
My neighbor who did 25 years in corporate world threw it all away and opened a truck. It's cajun cuisine, in Denver area.
He quit dayjob the december before covid, then covid hit and Denver stopped all new permitting for about 12-18 months. He spent $100k+ on outfitting a truck, then finally 18 months later, he was able to sell some food.

Only in denver though, as other counties have their own permitting.

He works nights, weekends, etc.. with 2nd and 4th grader. His food is off the chain, but man I couldn't make those kind of sacrifices. At least he's in a mild summer climate. There is only one other known cajun food truck around here, so he has little competition.

Has anyone asked the million dollar question; what is this truck doing for 9 months during school? If it's sitting, then, well I haven't seen your numbers or business plan, but that sounds like a money pit.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.