Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Food Trailer ?'s

5,538 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 62strat
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been considering opening one on the side. I make "street tacos", homemade salsa, and homemade queso. Locals know nothing about spices or good tasting tacos here (East Tennessee). Everyone who has tasted my tacos love them (hundreds of locals). I've been to all the local food trucks and restaurants that sell "street tacos", and 95% of them suck.

I know I need to:

1. Spec out a trailer and equipment (will go all electric - no gas - don't want to mess with gas suppression).
2. Get a POS system (probably Square).
3. Talk with my Tax person.
4. Talk to local person in health dept.
5. Look into insurance (just talk to current insurance company?).

Anything else I need to think about / be aware of? I've been selling stuff and doing some odd jobs to save $$. I've probably got enough for a new trailer (local company). I've also managed a restaurant during college (and did all food service, cash management, food handling, training, etc), so I'm experienced in that realm.

Ideally, I would love to speak with someone who does/has done this.

I'd probably start with chicken/steak/fish, and then branch out to fusion (I.e. Indian, Asian, etc inspired fusion tacos).

I've never been anywhere that makes what I make (I created all the recipes and marinades) - and I think I could do extremely well instead of killing my self in the off-season (I'm a teacher) doing outdoor work to make extra $$. My idea is to use this as additional retirement - because, TN teacher retirement sucks - and I enjoy doing this.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If this your dream, then go for it. If this just a crazy idea, give 3/4 of your saved up money to your investment guy and go have fun with the rest. What you are talking about is a lot of work. Busting your butt to sell $3 tacos to folks that have only ever eaten $1 tacos is a rough start. Standing all day in a cramped taco truck, being hot because the window is open and the ac cannot keep up and the stove is on, dealing with people and all the bs, finding a spot to park this rig that is visible and doesn't cost you a ton, and I could go on and on. There are easier ways to make side money.
zooguy96
Milwaukees Best Light said:

If this your dream, then go for it. If this just a crazy idea, give 3/4 of your saved up money to your investment guy and go have fun with the rest. What you are talking about is a lot of work. Busting your butt to sell $3 tacos to folks that have only ever eaten $1 tacos is a rough start. Standing all day in a cramped taco truck, being hot because the window is open and the ac cannot keep up and the stove is on, dealing with people and all the bs, finding a spot to park this rig that is visible and doesn't cost you a ton, and I could go on and on. There are easier ways to make side money.

Well, they are used to paying 3 to 4 dollars for tacos; they just aren't used to paying 3 to 4 dollars for good tacos.

This is about the easiest way for me to make side money given my expertise. Tutoring has gotten old, and I'm only doing mowing and landscaping for the summer.
aggiespartan
AG
The next questions is, are you sure they even like good tacos? Are they going to say it's "too spicy" or "too weird" for them? I've been to places where people thought too much black pepper was too spicy, so you've got to know your crowd.
Potcake
AG
My wife and I think it would be cool to open a food truck wherever we retire to but MBL likely nailed the reality. They don't all turn out like:

LCE
AG
Open just weekends or 7 days a week?

How many tacos do you have to sell to make $$$?

What is food cost per taco?

Managed a Jason's Deli a few years and I know it's not the same but something always goes wrong and it's a tough job.
javajaws
AG
Make a business plan. Figure out what you need to do to succeed.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
zooguy96
aggiespartan said:

The next questions is, are you sure they even like good tacos? Are they going to say it's "too spicy" or "too weird" for them? I've been to places where people thought too much black pepper was too spicy, so you've got to know your crowd.

I've made them at venues with 750+ people, and they've been well received. No one has had anything negative to say.
zooguy96
LCE said:

Open just weekends or 7 days a week?

How many tacos do you have to sell to make $$$?

What is food cost per taco?

Managed a Jason's Deli a few years and I know it's not the same but something always goes wrong and it's a tough job.

Select weekends during the school year; during the summer - mostly festivals (we have a ton here), tourist areas (live 30 minutes from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge - there are several areas I could go which are dying for good food trucks).

Food cost per taco is around $.30-$.60, depending on what kind of meat I use (steak being more $$).

I managed a restaurant as well in college, so familiar with all of that.

Wrong emoticon. LOL.
LCE
AG
Okay. Good you are familiar with this. Good luck!
Matsui
AG
Go for it!
Jackal99
AG
Get it open. I have friends in Sevierville, and family in Kingsport, I'll send them your way.
tlepoC
AG
Near Gatlinburg? May need to do a moonshine and pancake syrup flavored taco to really tantalize that crowd. Maybe with a theme of "Ripley's"
Decay
AG
I assume there's plenty of thought put into this, but I think of that area as "Tennessee Branson" with retirees eating buffets and Dollywood funnel cakes, who would be terrified by salsa or onions.

I bet there is an angle here though.
zooguy96
Decay said:

I assume there's plenty of thought put into this, but I think of that area as "Tennessee Branson" with retirees eating buffets and Dollywood funnel cakes, who would be terrified by salsa or onions.

I bet there is an angle here though.

Yes, lots of thought put in. There are actually a ton of Texas and Cali people who have moved here. As mentioned, I've made them for hundreds of people at different venues and they've been very well received.
Jetty
AG
Go for it!!
rlb28
AG
I can give you a couple numbers on the cost of vehicle/food trailer insurance. I'm taking this from 2 food trucks we insure.

1. 2021 Dodge Ram 2500 pulling a 2021 enclosed food trailer valued at $81,000 (including attached kitchen equipment inside). Liability is $500,000; Comp/collision $500 each... Total premium is $2,343 for 12 months.

2. 2012 Toyota 4Runner pulling a 2021 enclosed food trailer valued at $22,000 (including attached kitchen equipment inside). This driver is 25 and had an at-fault accident on record. Liability is $300 CSL; Comp/collision $500 each... Total premium is $2,800 for 12 months.
B-1 83
AG
I'm thinking this food truck/trailer needs a TexAgs inspired name…….
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
zooguy96
B-1 83 said:

You got one?

I was thinking "Flacos Tacos" - but I'm sure there is someone who has a better idea.
Potcake
AG
All I know is, breakfast is the most important taco of the day.
zooguy96
Potcake said:

All I know is, breakfast is the most important taco of the day.

No one around here knows what a breakfast taco is. But, I made some for coworkers, and they all loved them.
B-1 83
AG
zooguy96 said:

B-1 83 said:

You got one?

I was thinking "Flacos Tacos" - but I'm sure there is someone who has a better idea.
"Not Your Mama's Taco"
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
djmeen95
AG
B-1 83 said:

zooguy96 said:

B-1 83 said:

You got one?

"Not Your Mama's Taco"

Or….

Your Mama's Taco.
zooguy96
B-1 83 said:

zooguy96 said:

B-1 83 said:

You got one?

"Not Your Mama's Taco"

That's pretty good.
deadhead aggie
AG
Tenn-Tex-Tacos?

anyway, im moving to NE Tennessee in 2 weeks….i'll be keeping an eye on this thread cuz i'll definitely send some business your way….good luck!
zooguy96
deadhead aggie said:

Tenn-Tex-Tacos?

anyway, im moving to NE Tennessee in 2 weeks….i'll be keeping an eye on this thread cuz i'll definitely send some business your way….good luck!

Whereabouts?

NM - just saw Kingsport. Have a friend who is moving up there from Sugarland. Lots of Texans here.
ValleyRatAg
AG
You can park it next to my Asian/BBQ fusion trailer "Pho-Q". I sell more tshirts and hats than food. I've got a second one coming on line I'm calling "Pho-Q Two".
ToddyHill
AG
Hey Zoo...I think I can help you. I work with a guy in management that has a food 'trailer,' which he pulls with his pickup truck. All decked out and he's been permitted and inspected by the local health department in Sevier County. Let me talk to him on Tuesday and I'll get his cell number and forward it to you.

No question your idea has legs, even here in East Tennessee. And while you say the Mexican food sucks here (it does), I do believe there has been some progress...went to Soccer Taco in Market Square a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Probably a 7 out of 10 (which wouldn't cut it in Texas), but better than it used to be.

zooguy96
ToddyHill said:

Hey Zoo...I think I can help you. I work with a guy in management that has a food 'trailer,' which he pulls with his pickup truck. All decked out and he's been permitted and inspected by the local health department in Sevier County. Let me talk to him on Tuesday and I'll get his cell number and forward it to you.

No question your idea has legs, even here in East Tennessee. And while you say the Mexican food sucks here (it does), I do believe there has been some progress...went to Soccer Taco in Market Square a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Probably a 7 out of 10 (which wouldn't cut it in Texas), but better than it used to be.

Ok, that would be cool. I went to Soccer taco about 2 years ago - and it wasn't good then. Hopefully, it's gotten better. But, yes, it is funny what the locals consider "good" Mexican food. Slather it with cheese, and they're good.
zooguy96
ValleyRatAg said:

You can park it next to my Asian/BBQ fusion trailer "Pho-Q". I sell more tshirts and hats than food. I've got a second one coming on line I'm calling "Pho-Q Two".
Reel Aggies
AG
To be a legit food truck you have to price your stuff higher than a restaurant and give 2 pinche little tacos I am pretty sure that's how it works around here anyway lol
AustinCountyAg
Not actually the same as a food trailer but similar here. As someone who's own and ran a snowcone trailer it can become a huge PITA.

If your set on doing it (tacos) I highly recommend doing breakfast tacos only. It gets to be a beating sitting somewhere for greater than 5 hours at a time. Not to mention cooler in the mornings and more comfortable with a stove going.

Also you need one more person to manage the register, orders, etc. gets to be a cluster if your wanting to do it all. A person who is committed.

It's a full day job. Prepping food, ingredients , grocery runs, etc. be prepared for it.

Biggest thing IMO is you better be committed to doing this for YEARS. Similar to snow cones a $3 taco ain't gunna pay off a trailer, utilities, ingredients, supplies off in one summer.

My advice is keep mowing yards. Way less overhead and stress.
jtp01
AG
One thing to keep an eye on is supply of ingredients, they will continue to go up over the next few months. Instability in food costs has slowed my desire to hit the food truck scene. Granted, I'd prefer a Cajun Food truck over tacos (tacos are everywhere here).

I've put lots of thought into this specifically and my problem is I travel too much for work to be open consistently, as soon as you aren't consistent, you get a stigma of "never being open".
Max06
AG
djmeen95 said:

B-1 83 said:

zooguy96 said:

B-1 83 said:

You got one?

"Not Your Mama's Taco"

Or….

Your Mama's Taco.

Nacho Mama's Tacos
MichaelJ
AG
zooguy96 said:

I've been considering opening one on the side. I make "street tacos", homemade salsa, and homemade queso. Locals know nothing about spices or good tasting tacos here (East Tennessee). Everyone who has tasted my tacos love them (hundreds of locals). I've been to all the local food trucks and restaurants that sell "street tacos", and 95% of them suck.

I know I need to:

1. Spec out a trailer and equipment (will go all electric - no gas - don't want to mess with gas suppression).
2. Get a POS system (probably Square).
3. Talk with my Tax person.
4. Talk to local person in health dept.
5. Look into insurance (just talk to current insurance company?).

Anything else I need to think about / be aware of? I've been selling stuff and doing some odd jobs to save $$. I've probably got enough for a new trailer (local company). I've also managed a restaurant during college (and did all food service, cash management, food handling, training, etc), so I'm experienced in that realm.

Ideally, I would love to speak with someone who does/has done this.

I'd probably start with chicken/steak/fish, and then branch out to fusion (I.e. Indian, Asian, etc inspired fusion tacos).

I've never been anywhere that makes what I make (I created all the recipes and marinades) - and I think I could do extremely well instead of killing my self in the off-season (I'm a teacher) doing outdoor work to make extra $$. My idea is to use this as additional retirement - because, TN teacher retirement sucks - and I enjoy doing this.

Just spitballing here - but you'll likely want to look in to some form of community kitchen for prep and food storage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.