Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

I made boudin

3,824 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agcrock2005
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For starters, I'm no expert so if you have experience, please chime in with any advice. This was my first attempt, it turned out good, so I thought I would share in case anyone else wants to try. Really this all started when I was trying to find a good venison boudin recipe. Couldn't find one so figured I'd try to make real boudin and then figure out how to incorporate venison into it if I didn't screw this batch up.

11 lb bone-in pork butt seasoned with some cajun seasoning I ordered from Louisiana (it's really good!) and the cajun trinity with fresh parsley and green onions.

Not a good pic, but browned the pork butt (had to cut into pieces because I don't have a big ass cajun pot and paddle),

Took pork butt out, added trinity and shallots and cooked for about 8-10 minutes to get all the good stuff off the bottom of the pot, then added green onions (white parts too) and pureed chicken liver and cooked for another 5 mins or so, added pork butt back in and covered with water, more creole seasoning, and some chicken bouillon and simmered for about 5 hours.

Drained out of pot (but saved liquid for later) and added some more green onions and parsley chopped up before running through grinder.

Added grinded meat into mixer, added more fresh chopped green onion and then 8 cups of Louisiana popcorn rice (hadn't heard of it until making this) that I had cooked up. Unfortunately this picture doesn't show the rice in it, which nearly doubles the batch size. Also at this point I added more of the cajun seasoning to taste and introduced more of the liquid from earlier until I got the right consistency.

Made quite a few links and then left about 10 lbs to seal up and save for stuffing peppers and chicken.

Pretty pleased with how it came out for my first attempt. Quite a process though. Was much harder for me to stuff the casings with warm meat than when I do cold meats. I broke a lot more casings doing boudin. Not sure what I was doing wrong.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Looks SO good.
bam02
AG
Impressive!
HTownAg98
Warm meat flows more easily so it's easier to overstuff the casings. They look great!
fav13andac1)c
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Warm meat flows more easily so it's easier to overstuff the casings. They look great!

That's what she said.
agcrock2005
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Thanks. You know the solution? Is it just to go a slower until you get better at it? Definitely need to improve on consistency too. Sizes are all over the place.
FIDO*98*
AG
It's hard to back to store bought Boudin once you get the real deal with plenty of meat. Smoked Boudin is one of my all time favorites. Great job with those!
Matsui
AG
Excellent work! Thanks for sharing the results.
The Milkman
AG
That looks fantastic. Well done!

Side note and not trying to derail, but does anyone have an experience with being shipped boudin? I live in Baltimore and haven't found anything here before. Would love to have some delivered before the next time my friends and I fire up the smoker.
HTownAg98
agcrock2005 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Thanks. You know the solution? Is it just to go a slower until you get better at it? Definitely need to improve on consistency too. Sizes are all over the place.
Yes, go slower. The first time you do it, just let the casings free run off the horn. Then when you link them, you can twist the links until they're firm enough. You don't want them firm like a regular sausage, because when you heat them up, the rice will expand and will cause them to explode.

TWSS protected.
agcrock2005
AG
HTownAg98 said:

agcrock2005 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Yes, go slower. The first time you do it, just let the casings free run off the horn. Then when you link them, you can twist the links until they're firm enough. You don't want them firm like a regular sausage, because when you heat them up, the rice will expand and will cause them to explode.

TWSS protected.
Thanks! Makes sense.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The Milkman said:

Side note and not trying to derail, but does anyone have an experience with being shipped boudin? I live in Baltimore and haven't found anything here before. Would love to have some delivered before the next time my friends and I fire up the smoker.

https://www.beststopinscott.com/
Never had them ship to me because I used to work in Louisiana a bunch, but their smoked boudin is the best I have ever had and freezes well. I wouldn't think them shipping frozen links would be an issue at all.
agcrock2005
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

The Milkman said:

Never had them ship to me because I used to work in Louisiana a bunch, but their smoked boudin is the best I have ever had and freezes well. I wouldn't think them shipping frozen links would be an issue at all.
I watched a video on them the other day. Wish I had a machine that could case one sausage every second. The guy in the video is incredibly annoying so skip to 5:32 mark of the video. They make 6,000 lbs a day!
fav13andac1)c
AG
HTownAg98 said:

agcrock2005 said:

HTownAg98 said:

TWSS protected.
You can't have a sausage thread without one!
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
What brand and horsepower of grinder?
agcrock2005
AG
I got the LEM #12 Big Bit Meat Grinder - .75 HP. Love it. Loved it too much that I then bought the 25 lb mixer and then a stuff. All LEM because I heard good things about them. No complaints yet.
The Milkman
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

The Milkman said:

Thank you! Looks good and better prices than I anticipated
RCR06
AG
Beststop is my favorite cracklins so i usually end up stopping there. Their boudin is really good too as mentioned above. Gun to head I like Don's boudin just a little bit better, but not enough to make two stops. I know a couple people that have ordered from beststop with good results. They ship in Styrofoam coolers with dry ice inside a cardboard box.
Al Bula
AG
Sometimes there IS some really cool stuff on texags. Good work.
superunknown
AG
RCR06 said:

Beststop is my favorite cracklins so i usually end up stopping there. Their boudin is really good too as mentioned above. Gun to head I like Don's boudin just a little bit better, but not enough to make two stops. I know a couple people that have ordered from beststop with good results. They ship in Styrofoam coolers with dry ice inside a cardboard box.

I'm the opposite, I'll stop ar best stop, Don's and Billy's if I'm in the area. Best stop has best overall meats, I like Billy's boudin balls/stuffed things better and Don's is great all around.
FIDO*98*
AG

agcrock2005
AG
Nice! I was going to look up this thread just now. Today I stuffed jalapenos with pepper jack and the boudin I made and then wrapped with bacon and grilled up. Was awesome. I love how you can do so many different things with boudin.
schmellba99
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Nice! I was going to look up this thread just now. Today I stuffed jalapenos with pepper jack and the boudin I made and then wrapped with bacon and grilled up. Was awesome. I love how you can do so many different things with boudin.
Take some of the un-stuffed and cook it on a griddle like you would scrapple - basically flatten it out fairly thin and cook on both sides. Should only need to flip it once.

Top with a fried egg over easy, some home made bacon and a good biscuit and you have a hell of a good breakfast. Might be my favorite way to consume boudin these days, even more than just a warmed up link and a roll of ritz crackers.

Never was a huge fan of fried boudin balls, and smoked boudin is OK, but almost everywhere oversmokes it. It doesn't take much smoke on boudin IMO before it becomes overpowered with smoke and it takes away from the overall flavor and consistency of the product.
agcrock2005
AG
Saturday I sauteed shrimp and mixed with my boudin then stuffed in a butterflied pork loin with pepperjack cheese and jalapenos and threw it on the smoker for a couple hours while my buddies and I made 20 lbs of breakfast sausage, 20 lbs of breakfast sausage links, 20 lbs of jalapeno cheese links, and smoked 20 lbs of cheese sausage. Drank too much beer and had a blast. Strongly recommend the pork loin, but also doing this homemade meat processing thing if you like to cook, have a grinder and friends that you like working/drinking with. Covered faces because I don't have their permission to put them on the interwebs.

HTownAg98
Sausage fest!
agcrock2005
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Sausage fest!
That's actually what we called it too. All the wives came over a little later when we were wrapping up.
HTownAg98
agcrock2005 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Sausage fest!
That's actually what we called it too. All the wives came over a little later when we were wrapping up.
Dude, we didn't need to know this. I'm not kink-shaming here, but keep that to yourself.
agcrock2005
AG
HTownAg98 said:

agcrock2005 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Sausage fest!
Dude, we didn't need to know this. I'm not kink-shaming here, but keep that to yourself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.