Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

French Feta Cheese in San Antonio??

1,885 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Reel Aggies
Jason_InfinityRoofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I lived near Houston, we would go out to Phoenecia (sp?) and get French feta for a dish we make with our fresh home grown tomatoes and a vinaigrette.

Anyway, I'm west of San Antonio and I have no idea where to get fresh French feta cheese.

Anyone have any help ?
Reel Aggies
AG
Ali Baba at 10 and wurzbach used to have the best feta cheese and olive section in the back, haven't been there in awhile but my guess is they still do. One of my favorite stores to shop in.
BrazosDog02
AG
GAC06
AG
Feta is Greek and the EU prohibits calling cheese from other countries Feta
Scotts Tot
AG
French feta?? This is like asking where to find the best Spanish parmigiano or the best German brie. Weird.
Ornlu
AG
Scotts Tot said:

French feta?? This is like asking where to find the best Spanish parmigiano or the best German brie. Weird.

Or the best Italian Burgundy. Or the best Canadian bourbon. Or the best Swiss Iberico Jamon.

Sure, I guess you could find the best of those things that aren't from their normal region... But it will probably cost more than the real thing and still not be as good.
FitzChivalry
AG
Central Market on Broadway has a pretty good cheese department.
SpiderDude
AG
France has some amazing cheese. Feta isn't one of them!
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

Exhibit A…

SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

SpiderDude said:

Exhibit A…

SpiderDude
AG
WTF…a plate of cheese gets flagged now?! Is it because I'm posting from a French URL?!
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's not flagged. The issue is on your end. If it was flagged, it would say so in the box.
SpiderDude
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It's not flagged. The issue is on your end. If it was flagged, it would say so in the box.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Weird, it doesn't say that on my screen.
Rattler12
HEB used to carry their own brand that was very tasty if you opened it up, put it in a baggy, put in the fridge and let it "age" for about 3 to 4 months. They don't sell it anymore
Rattler12
Speaking of aging in the fridge......I bought a quart of heavy cream at the HEBery. When I needed it, I went to the fridge and grabbed what I thought was it. I unscrewed the cap, popped the top, turned it up and nothing but a clear liquid came out. I looked down into the carton and it was about 1/3 empty. There was some white "stuff" in the inside of the pouring hole so I pulled some out and tasted it and damm it was very tasty. I'm like wtf? What did HEB sell me here. Looked at the expired date on the carton and it was a year and 2 months before. Look back in the fridge and there was my recent purchase in the door shelf. By accident and total ignorance I wound up with a year plus old carton of heavy cream that had turned into an excellent creme fraiche. Mz R wouldn't touch it but I made good use of it
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

WTF…a plate of cheese gets flagged now?! Is it because I'm posting from a French URL?!

I got that same flagged message on another board for a meme of Beavis & Butthead. Go figure.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Meh…didn't know this was a touchy subject. Just another food label for me. I buy it exclusively because, we'll, it's better. Call it what you want. It's superior to all other offerings I've had at my disposal. .

Thanks for the recs. This place has everything ! I'll be going back for sure for my French made cheese that's like feta made in the same style but isn't really feta cheese. (This is why the label says French Feta, it's much shorter). Haha
Duncan Idaho
I'm going to start calling young Brie "French American Cheese."
BurnetAggie99
You talking about Valbreso Brand Feta. Can find it at HEB.
Reel Aggies
AG
Where did you end up finding it?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

Meh…didn't know this was a touchy subject. Just another food label for me. I buy it exclusively because, we'll, it's better. Call it what you want. It's superior to all other offerings I've had at my disposal. .

Thanks for the recs. This place has everything ! I'll be going back for sure for my French made cheese that's like feta made in the same style but isn't really feta cheese. (This is why the label says French Feta, it's much shorter). Haha

Meh, half the people on here are trolling, the other half are those that freak out if they are in a car that is going 5 mph over the speed limit and thinks every aspect of their lives should be constrained within a set of rules.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Reel Aggies said:

Where did you end up finding it?

Right where you said it would be! It was as expected. In a tub in the chiller near the back at Ali Baba.

Grabbed some fresh pita bread as well. The wife makes a sort of Pesto Pizza out of it that's awesome.
Reel Aggies
AG
Yeah they have awesome pita bread. I like to shop in there, so many new things. My cousins wife is Persian so she got us started there years ago. When I was in nursing school we did a project on the refugees that come into San Antonio from all over that live in that corridor. Ali Baba is like the first big stepping stone to getting them started fresh here in SA.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Reel Aggies said:

Yeah they have awesome pita bread. I like to shop in there, so many new things. My cousins wife is Persian so she got us started there years ago. When I was in nursing school we did a project on the refugees that come into San Antonio from all over that live in that corridor. Ali Baba is like the first big stepping stone to getting them started fresh here in SA.
So that store basically employees the refugees to help get them going? That's pretty cool. I like to see local community support like that. I met some friends in college that were from the region. They were the ones that got me started on food that wasn't hamburgers or Tex Mex. LOL.
Txmoe
AG
Would you mind sharing the recipe for the salad? Always on the lookout for a good salad, especially this time of year with fresh tomatoes.

Also, how different is the flavor of French feta vs 'regular' Greek feta?
cbaker20
Try some sirene cheese from Bulgaria or Croatia if you can find it. Softer and less grainy. I prefer it and my tiny local middle eastern grocery has a few brands in the cooler with the feta.
Reel Aggies
AG
Yes, a lot of them get their start there. There is also a free clinic that the health science center runs around the corner at a church a couple times a month. It's all volunteer run. I worked there a couple times when in school too. Wonderful yet eye-opening experience. People from all over the world coming through there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.