Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Walking Tacos

3,287 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hwy30East
medwriter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I first heard the term today and was wondering if any of you have a special recipe for walking tacos. For those that don't know what I'm talking about (which I think on this forum there would be only a few, if any) they are like frito pies in the chips bag, but instead of just fritos and chili you'd have taco ingredients. I'd love to hear from some of you who might have a special recipe for this treat. It's such a great idea and I'm probably late to the game not even knowing about walking tacos until now.

555-PINF
I didn't know it was a real thing, either. My kids' school has "walking nachos" in their regular lunch rotation and I always thought it was something they made up.

That first pic looks much better than I expected. Following.
Tree Hugger
AG
The kids in my son's scout troop made these a lot on campouts, but that was mainly to avoid having plates to wash.
smstork1007
AG
How is this better than a regular taco, which if you need to, you can get up and walk around with it in one hand, munching as needed. Seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.
medwriter
I'm glad that I wasn't the only person unfamiliar with the term. I don't think they're better or worse than regular tacos, just that these have their own container, which is a chips bag. I can see where it would be better for walking around, that being your hands don't get messy. I think it's a novel idea, even if it isn't something groundbreaking. PS. I think the "walking nachos" are pretty much the same thing.
bam02
AG
Tacos have a container. And it's edible.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I'm going to have to think about this. This could be a solution for my carne guisada fried egg taco problem.
HTownAg98
bam02 said:

The taco filling doesn't spill out of the bag.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
So it's a burrito but with a bag instead of a tortilla. Genius.
medwriter
bam02 said:

Tacos are essential for a happy life, and for those around you.
medwriter
Marauder Blue 6 said:

So it's a burrito but with a bag instead of a tortilla. Genius.
Excellent observation. Marauder Blue 10 - medwriter 0.
MarathonAg12
When I moved to Chicago suburbs for a few years, they sold walking tacos at the high school football games.

It was literally frito pie as us Texans call it
CDub06
AG
That looks harder to eat while walking than a regular taco...
GAC06
AG
I'm glad someone found a way to ruin a taco, make it harder to eat, and add some plastic to throw away
HTownAg98
MarathonAg12 said:

When I moved to Chicago suburbs for a few years, they sold walking tacos at the high school football games.

It was literally frito pie as us Texans call it
That was my thought as well, though I see the utility of it. The filling for a walking taco doesn't spill out the end when you try to eat it. But then there's the other trick of putting a corn tortilla under the taco you're eating, and all the spillage becomes a free taco. Plus, you still have something you have to throw away, because I don't remember ever being served a taco straight into my hand.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

But then there's the other trick of putting a corn tortilla under the taco you're eating, and all the spillage becomes a free taco.

Are you from the future???

CDub06
AG
Those are screengrabs from a great YouTube channel.
62strat
AG
BSD said:

HTownAg98 said:

But then there's the other trick of putting a corn tortilla under the taco you're eating, and all the spillage becomes a free taco.

Are you from the future???

I've eaten tacos like that for a decade or more.. except it's just the next taco I'm going to eat on my plate. Don't need that useless funnel thing.
BSD
AG
And no one else has! You're a true pioneer in the world of fine taco dining.
schmendeler
AG
You also watched the new iron chef?
FIDO*98*
AG
How far away from Texas do you have to go to hear the term "walking tacos" to get a crappy taco like those pictured in the OP?
ORAggieFan
FIDO*98* said:

How far away from Texas do you have to go to hear the term "walking tacos" to get a crappy taco like those pictured in the OP?

Austin
CDub06
AG
There are some dang good tacos in Austin.
Bruce Almighty
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Probably every Boy Scout camp in the state does them.
FIDO*98*
AG
Didn't realize that. My boys have girlfriends and are good at sports
HTownAg98
There should be a different name for them. They aren't a taco, and it's not a Frito pie either. But I can see how some Fritos topped with a braised meat, cheese, salsa, and whatever condiments you want to add could be damn good.
htxag09
AG
HTownAg98 said:

There should be a different name for them. They aren't a taco, and it's not a Frito pie either. But I can see how some Fritos topped with a braised meat, cheese, salsa, and whatever condiments you want to add could be damn good.
It's nachos, but in a bag. I guess a little different if you're using Frito's instead of tortilla chips, but still nachos.
ag88man
AG
If you are not British and you eat it with cutlery, I don't think it should be called a taco.
MaroonStain
AG
CDub06 said:

There are some dang good tacos in Austin.

I am a fan of ____ _______ on South ____. Good stuff!
Tanya 93
555-PINF said:

I didn't know it was a real thing, either. My kids' school has "walking nachos" in their regular lunch rotation and I always thought it was something they made up.

That first pic looks much better than I expected. Following.

I know yoi can buy them at Cardinals games

But they are like six dollars.
Plus, I am not a huge fan of Doritos that get soggy.
Hwy30East
A couple of vendors at the Houston Rodeo had Walking Tacos this past year that looked good, but I wasn't going to pay $8-$10 for a little bag of chips and some taco fixings in it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.