Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Canned Picante Recipe

1,931 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bonfire97
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A friend gave me this recipe recently. Wondering what yall's thoughts were or had any suggestions on improvements. Thanks in advance.

14 cups peeled tomatoes, whirled a few times in food processor
4 med/lg onions - chopped
8 garlic cloves, minced
12 jalapeno pepper, chopped
3 bell peppers, chopped
1/4 cup canning salt
2 tsp red pepper
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Cook in large pot over low heat 1hr until thick. Ladle off some of the juice. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, Process 10 min in boiling water bath.
AggieOO
my suggestion would be to use most of those ingredients to make fresh salsa instead...you will need a lime, but you can ditch the bell peppers, jars, vinegar, and sugar. Open bag of tortilla chips and eat salsa until gone....drink what's left if you run out of chips.
Bonfire97
AG
Yeah, I also like it fresh. But, I have a bunch of tomatoes and will need to can some of it. I am also thinking about grilling/smoking all the vegetables before chopping them up and cooking. I would think that would add some good flavor.
Duncan Idaho
Not sure about the bell peppers. Pretty sure I would leave those out

The vinegar is needed to get it to the right acidity otherwise you will have to pressure can it.
cecil77
AG
WAY too much garlic for my taste. And yeah, uncertain what the green peppers add.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the feedback. What do you all think about the jalapenos and how many seeds to leave? Leave seeds in 1/2 of them? They will all be from the garden and are hot, not like those mild ones you sometimes get at HEB.
cecil77
AG
I've read that it's not as much the seeds as it is the veins...

And it's a "to taste" thing, plus there's a huge variation among jalapenos...
AggieOO
I wouldn't remove any seeds or membranes, but I like spicy.

I've also made extra salsa and froze it. Still tasted pretty good when unthawed. Maybe another option besides picante.
FIDO*98*
AG
Freeze a good recipe in 8, 12, or 16oz containers instead of canning a bad one
Max06
AG
Can the tomatoes, then use them to make salsa with fresh ingredients. Best of both worlds.

Plus you aren't committed to x number of jars of salsa. Canned tomatoes can be used in a multitude of ways.
Bonfire97
AG

Quote:

FIDO, I know you have posted alot of good recipes on here. Any good salsa recipes you have that you might want to share? Thanks in advance!
JLN90
AG
Bonfire97 said:

Quote:

FIDO, I know you have posted alot of good recipes on here. Any good salsa recipes you have that you might want to share? Thanks in advance!

???
Bonfire97
AG
Alright, I just went ahead and tried the recipe as-is to see what it was like. The only change I made was to grill all the onions/peppers/garlic on the bbq pit over some post oak. It turned out very good. I think the smoking/grilling made a big difference in the flavor. I did add 1 additional TBS of canning salt.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.