Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Used (new to me) pellet smoker question

989 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
RooAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad gave me his RecTec 700 as he wasn't using it. It's only about a year or so old and probably used less than 10 times.

Should I do any sort of pre-smoke or anything before using it? Since it was used already, I assume any and all chemicals from the manufacturing side have been burned off. But just curious if anyone had any thoughts on if I should do that again since it hasn't been used in a while and has been taken apart and reassembled. Or any other pre-maintenance?
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just use a shop vac to clean it out. Mine needs to be cleaned after 20hrs or so of use. There will be dust buildup.

Try to find out how old the pellets are if they're in the machine, if they're old they may have absorbed too much moisture and need to be tossed. It's all sawdust and they need to be dry.

Other than that, they're pretty simple. I'd clean it out, load new pellets, read the manual on how to prime the auger and get to smoking.
RooAg
AG
Thanks!
NoHo Hank
AG
I have one and think it's really good, but there are a few things I've learned:

1. Depending on where you're located, humidity alone will start to decompose the pellets into sawdust, which then gums up the auger. If you use the smoker regularly (1+ times a week) no big deal, fill the hopper to the top, but if you're not using it a lot, I wouldn't fill it up all the way.

2. The 700 doesn't put out a ton of smoke. My wife is not a huge bbq person so that's not a huge deal for us as heavy smoke flavors don't do anything for her, but I would recommend trying out a smoke tube if you're not happy with the smoke levels / bark.

3. When you're doing the initial set up, depending on what panel is in the bull, you're going to have an annoying as hell time trying to get it hooked up to wifi. The panel only supports 2.4ghz band, which means you either have to change your router only to broadcast at 2.4ghz or start the set up process and walk to the very edge of your wifi range, which will have your phone connected via the 2.4ghz band vs 5ghz one.

Does it produce as high quality bbq as a log burner? Nah, but it's 85-90 cents on the log burner's dollar, and there is a lot to be said for picking a temp, putting your brisket on the night before, and checking on it only to do the wrap, if that's your kinda thing.
AlaskanAg99
AG
That's good advice. There's also ways around the lower smoke flavor. On a brisket go low and slow. 180F and figure 1hr per pound. This will get you around some of the smoke intensity issues. Then do the wrap and increase temp as normal to finish it.

For pork butt. Cut it up into 2 or 3 chunks, this added surface area for smoke will also increase the overall intensity.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have a 700 and I love it so far. A smoke tube will help make more smoke. I have a wifi thingy that does 2.4 and 5. If you don't, maybe time to upgrade anyway. I don't fill the pellet hopper all the way and I keep a cover on it. The rec tec forums had really bad reviews on the rec tec cover, so I went with their recommended generic off of amazon for less than thirty bucks. The thing is great. No priming the auger or anything weird. Shut it off using the app, don't just pull the plug. Enjoy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.