Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Memphis BBQ?

2,971 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by pbv00
13B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have a suggestion for the best BBQ place in Memphis, TN?
BurnetAggie99
Bain BBQ
Mathguy64
AG
The Rendezvous. It's not the best but it's an icon. Go watch the duck parade at the Peabody and then walk around the corner and have some dry rub ribs.
TXAG 05
AG
Prepare to be unimpressed.
FIDO*98*
AG
Rendezvous may be the worst ribs I've ever had in my life. Their ribs aren't just dry rub, they're dried out. The rub also has so much damn paprika in it they're just bitter and flat. Sides were awful too.it's shocking that place is an institution

Scotts Tot
AG
Went to Rendezvous once and thought it was awful. Surely there must be other places that are drastically better, or else the hype of Memphis barbecue is a great sham.

The ribs were dry and overseasoned. Hard pass.
Mathguy64
AG
For me it was the dried oregano. Greek rubbed ribs must be an acquired taste.
Bulldog73
AG
Gus's fried chicken is as close to decent bbq in Memphis I had, and I fully realize friend chicken isn't even close to bbq.
Wicked Good Ag
Liked Corky's and also Central near the Lorraine Motel and Cvivil Rights Museum

I wouldnt go the brisket but maybe the pulled pork

Really liked Flight for more upscale dinner
BurnetAggie99
Other ones that I've been to that are classic Memphis BBQ are Central BBQ, A&R BBQ, The Bar-B-Que Shop, Cozy Corner BBQ & Interstate BBQ
13B
But you like Bain the best?
Mookie
AG
I lived there for a couple of years and we liked the Germantown commissary the best.

Tom's BBQ on getwell had the best pulled pork sandwiches but not really the atmosphere you're probably looking for.
BurnetAggie99
13B said:

But you like Bain the best?

Bain is Central TX style BBQ
13B
55 year old man and wife looking for decent BBQ since we are in Memphis.
Mookie
AG
Tom's has the best pulled pork I found. You have to pass cash under a bulletproof glass window, the pit master sweats like a ***** in church, and you have to eat on a wall next to get well rd near the airport. Buys it's so good.

Gtown commissary is SOLID though.
13B
Thanks to everyone for the input! We selected Central due to close proximity to our hotel. Folks there were real nice. Now based off personal experience: Texas > KC (but very close) > Memphis (by a rather large margin).
Our picks and score card:
Sausage- Fantastic flavor but sausage quality was comparable to Eskridge--B-
Brisket- I understand that Memphis BBQ is dry rub heavy but this was so dry it could've been jerky (almost) D
Ribs- Again, dry and was not fall off the bone, heck I like C&Js better than what I got here. D+
BBQ Baked Beans- Was very tasty but pretty much chopped beef & BBQ sauce added to Bush beans. A
Green Beans- A little spicy, decent flavor. B
Tried 3 of the 4 sauces: Hot, Mild, Mustard and Vinegar
Mild- standard BBQ sauce
Mustard- Although I'm sure there was more ingredients...tasted like mustard
Vinegar- Honestly, I like Cooper's much more but wasn't horrible but not good enough to supplant the Mild.
I am thankful for the experience. However, if offered another chance at it...we'd pass.

***note*** For anyone that has physically been to the Central on Summer Ave...what in the H-E-double hockey sticks is going on, on either side of the cow's head in that mural?!?

Thanks again to all, this was fun!
Gabster43213
Ive been to several places there. The Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison is probably my favorite.

Corky's and Jim Neely's are my least favorite.

I save most of my BBQ consumption for competitive contests as I am fortunate to be a certified judge for the Memphis BBQ Network.
wadd96
AG
Drive a little over an hour and go to Blake's at Southern Milling. Doing Texas stale, and damn well! Great guy. Tell him Travis at Polish Cowboy sent you.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
RCR06
AG
Bar-b-q shop and cozys
frenchtoast
Another vote for Germantown Commissary.
wadd96
AG
Seriously! Make the trip to Blake's. Tell Blake I sent you!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
wadd96 said:

Drive a little over an hour and go to Blake's at Southern Milling. Doing Texas stale, and damn well! Great guy. Tell him Travis at Polish Cowboy sent you.

Crazy. I came here to post this. Blake's is legit. I'm a Texan stuck in TN and it's damn good bbq. Texas style!
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
Central in Memphis. Wet ribs and pulled pork are my favorite.

Blake's at Southern Milling in Martin. I live in Martin and taught Blake in a couple of college classes. I have supported him since the food trailer beginning. He has grown and developed his craft. Excellent brisket (as close to Texas as I have found!). His new place is beautiful and he is a great guy! Tell him Dr. B sent you.
AG
If you're from Texas, the best BBQ in Memphis is called catfish.
Pro Sandy
AG
Went to Tom's some 10 years ago. Absolutely loved it. Neighborhood quite sketchy, but worth it.

Was so good my vegetarian aunt even ate some

SpiderDude
AG
So the best BBQ in Memphis is Franklin's in Austin? Got it.
pbv00
AG
Be warned that many of these restaurants close the first couple of weeks in July. Went to 3 that were closed before giving up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.