Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Old restaurant in College Station?

5,345 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cecil77
waryman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friends just mentioned a place called Fort Stockton Steakhouse in CS in the early 80s. I have no recollection. Can anyone confirm?
Rexter
Fort Shiloh?
Mathguy64
AG
Fort Shiloh. On TX Ave just south of SW Parkway by the cemetary.
555-PINF
555-PINF
https://longlosttees.com/products/fort-shiloh
waryman
AG
Now it is so obvious. I kept saying Pelicans Wharf and they said Ft Stockton. Shiloh for the win! Thanks.
Tailgate88
AG
Here's a couple threads you might find interesting.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2717716
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/1314128

Gabster43213
Fort Shiloh for sure. The chicken fried steak had sort of a white/yellow gravy. It was owned by Ken Martin.
dcbowers
AG
I bussed tables at the Ft. Shiloh Steakhouse as my first job as a 15 year old back in the early 1980's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cecil77
AG
What was the owner's name? I worked the summer of '79 at Pepe Taco which he also owned, (there was one next to WB on Dominick) and Fort Shiloh was just opening then.

Ken Martin. Checked one of the threads above.
Shooz in Katy
AG
Anyone remember The Texan in Bryan? I worked there one summer. Don't think it made it past the early 2000's with the owner passing and his idiot son running it into the ground.

But it was fantastic when I worked there. Ostrich, huge lobster dishes, and a table side scratch traditional Caesar salad complete with the story of the Caesar salad.
ToddyHill
AG
I was a waiter at The Texan in 1980-81. Some of the best food I've ever had. It was owned by the Tapley's. He was semi-retired and his wife ran the place. Yes, I recall the son, who just didn't seem to have the business acumen of his parents. And you're right about the table-side presentation of the Caesar. I'd forgotten that. Seems trivial, but to this day I've not had a better French Onion Soup.

Probably my best moment was waiting on Tex Schramm, his wife, and his daughter (who was enrolled at A&M at the time). I'm not a Cowboy fan, so I didn't recognize him. When I presented him the check, he handed me a Gold American Express card with his name: Texas E. Schramm. I was a bit dumb founded. That said, I went back to the table and said, "Mr. Schramm....are you the man that runs the Cowboys?" He hesitated, and finally said, "Uh, yeah." Mrs. 'T' was a HUGE Cowboy fan, and when I told her he was in the dining room she immediately went out there to meet him and thank him for coming to their restaurant.

I also worked at Ft. Shiloh from 1978 to 1980. Owned by Ken Martin. It's crazy what one remembers from those days. Steak for Two was their most popular item. 2-8 ounce sirloins with a baked potato and the salad bar for $12.95. It was hard work but fun at the same time. I felt like a million bucks when the shift was over and I had $40 in tips...which was big money back then.
cecil77
AG
Sure I remember it, but couldn't afford to eat there!

Probably the most modest on the outside fine dining ever.
Shooz in Katy
AG
I really hate to do this, but the French onion soup was Campbell's. I never visually confirmed this but it was widely discussed among staff when we heard the restaurant was closing down. The cheese and baking method they used made it utterly fantastic but the tightly guarded secret was outed as some sort of last resentful gasp from the kitchen. Again, I never visually confirmed Campbell's soup was used but also had no reason to not believe it.

And for those that couldn't afford it, neither could I. But with all the hot little girl friends that dudes sacrificed $200+ to impress, those little girls weren't big eaters and the other waiters and I would routinely chow down on the ladies' leftover Easy Lobster and Ostrich steaks.

Hey it was last century so don't judge us.
RGV AG
AG
Bus tub buffett, one of the perks of waiting tables at high end places......
Jetty
AG
I miss Danvers! Their hot veggie bar was SO good!
Martin Cash
AG
The Aggie Special at Youngbloods.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
AG
What was the place in the late 80's/early 90's that had the Japanese fighting fish on the tables?
cecil77
AG
4 said:

What was the place in the late 80's/early 90's that had the Japanese fighting fish on the tables?
So sad that for me that would be a new restaurant...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.