Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

New Cast Iron Skillet Day

11,614 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTm2004
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering this thread is still going, I figured I'd give an update since I've now used it a couple of months.

Schmellba99 is right, cooking wise, it doesn't cook any worse or better than my cheap Lodge. The difference is the starting point of each. The Stargazer was super smooth and continues to be, where the Lodge was rough at first but has gotten better with each cook. With more "pits" on the surface, I guess it should take a seasoning better. Sticking hasn't been an issue with either, though eggs slide around the Stargazer like a nice carbon steel where they don't with the Lodge...but it doesn't stick either.

The one area the Stargazer does stand out is the handle. If cooking stuff a bit longer or on a higher heat, the handle does warm up, but not to the point that you need protection to touch it or move the pan. If you're going to be draining grease or something where you'll be holding it for a while, an oven mitt or towel is sometimes needed. Not so with the Lodge. Just cooking something simple eggs or bacon requires protection to turn the pan or to move it to a trivet when I am finished. I used the Lodge on Tuesday to cook something and burned my hand because I didn't have the silicon protector over the handle.

Another thing with the handle is it's extra length makes it feel lighter than it really is. It weighs similar to the Lodge, but I feel the weight with the Lodge because of the stubby handle. I either suck it up or use the helper handle. Not really a need with the Stargazer.

Also, the lip on the Stargazer works great and grease or anything else I pour out doesn't run down the side of the pan like I had with the Lodge.

Does any of it justify the premium over the Lodge? Nah. As I said earlier, this was a splurge/luxury buy and it remains so. Would I buy it again if I were doing it over? Yes. It's something that gets a lot of use and will be used for years in the future (good Lord willing), so the cost is really a non-factor in the long run for the little things it has over the Lodge. If I was on a tight budget or rarely cooked I wouldn't do it. But with 3 growing kids, we cook quite a bit. The 10" Stargazer and my 12" Lodge carbon steel are our 2 go to pans, with a Lodge 10" and 12" CI waiting in the wings.
Tree Hugger
AG
Quote:

Amazing what a difference it makes letting everything get hot before chucking stuff in them. It took me years to prove to my wife that it makes a difference, and still have to get onto her sometimes because she loves to turn the stove on, toss the pan on and immediately start putting food in the skillet and then wonders why it isn't as non-stick as when I use it.
My wife does this and it drives me crazy. She will crack eggs into a cold pan, then turn on the heat and complain about it sticking. I keep telling her that cold foods added to a hot pan have a much smaller chance of sticking. The thing that drives me most insane is that she will declare that she is making chicken "fajitas". This consists of chopping up chicken breasts, onions, and poblanos, all added to a cold skillet before any heat is added (that's right, raw chicken just sitting there in a cold skillet while she chops the rest and adds it to the raw chicken before even lighting a burner). By the time she has declared it "finished" the onions are obliterated, the poblanos are hardly cooked, and the chicken has basically been boiled by the steam coming off of the veggies. It a good thing she has nice cans.
sanitariex
AG
We have rules here.
Cromagnum
AG
Wife surprised me with a carbon steel skillet from 3 Nail Ironware out of Paint Rock.

https://3nailironware.com/

Fresh out of the box.

After the recommended 3 coats of seasoning prior to first use.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

The Lodge is like feeling up the Dugger mom vs a 19 year old spinner.

Texags gold.
Objective Aggie
AG
schmellba99 said:

Objective Aggie said:

Also, a horror story.

My mom inherited my great-grandmothers skillets. I can't imagine how many meals for our family were made in that over the decades. But my mom - -being of that everything instant and manmade generation - - always washed them in the dishwasher and totally destroyed them.

I would love to have those things back.
They aren't destroyed. Just need cleaning and re-seasoning. Not hard to do at all.

There is no magic when it comes to CI. Older pans are considered "better" generally because they have a great layer of seasoning on them versus newer pans. But rest assured, they weren't great when they were new - they were usually bought because CI was cheap and durable.

You can take a Lodge and with maybe an hour of time and effort get it every bit as smooth as the newer high end CI's that people throw money at these days. That is the only difference between them - the quality of the surface finish on the metal. Aside from that, CI is CI is CI.

And cleaning them with Dawn or Palmolive or whatever doesn't strip the seasoning, so actually wash your pans when necessary. Unless you are soaking them in lye soap or tossing them in the dishwasher - modern polymer based soaps don't strip seasoning and are perfectly fine to use to clean your pan to prevent heavy carbon buildup that actually harms the cooking ability.

Other than that - heat the cast iron, then add your oil/butter/fat and let it get hot, THEN add your food. Amazing what a difference it makes letting everything get hot before chucking stuff in them. It took me years to prove to my wife that it makes a difference, and still have to get onto her sometimes because she loves to turn the stove on, toss the pan on and immediately start putting food in the skillet and then wonders why it isn't as non-stick as when I use it.

They were all pretty severely cracked.
Objective Aggie
AG
Lodge chefs collection 12" has been my go to for all kinds of stuff.

If I only had one pan this would be it. It's heavy is the downside but I like the extra space.

aTm2004
AG
Looks like they're doing a 30% off sale for military and 15% off for everyone else for Memorial Day. I might pick up the 12".

https://stargazercastiron.com/
aTm2004
AG
I have a cousin who went into the reserves after 8 years active duty to finish his 20, who was commenting on my pan the last time he was over, so I sent him the link and told him they had 30% off. He texted me and told me he was going to order the 10" for himself and asked if I wanted another. 12" on the way to his house as well.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
really looking into getting a cast iron...i have read this threads post and such...i like the looks of the smooth cast iron ( a la stargazer), but is it worth the look?
Objective Aggie
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

really looking into getting a cast iron...i have read this threads post and such...i like the looks of the smooth cast iron ( a la stargazer), but is it worth the look?

Wirecutter has some insights

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-cast-iron-skillet/

Honestly it is all personal preference. I have been thrilled with my Lodge Chef Collection but certainly some of the other options look cool.
aTm2004
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Is it worth the look is really up to you. If you don't cook too often or are watching a budget, I'd suggest just picking up a Lodge at a local retailer near you. If you cook a lot and the cost isn't an issue, I'd say give it a go. As I stated in a previous post, IMO, the money in the long run isn't much for the little things it has over a cheaper one. The biggest difference between the Lodge and something like a Stargazer, Field Co, Smithey, etc, is the starting point of the surface. All are going to take a few cooks with extra oil/butter before they are truely non-stick (also always start with a hot pan), but the Lodge will take a few more to get there. Eggs slide on my Stargazer but not on my Lodge, but they don't stick to it either.

The truth is you can't go wrong with any of them. Lodges are great and are always ranked high because they cook well and their price is much lower. The value for the money can't be beat. If you choose a higher end pan, a classic Lodge, or one from Lodge's Chef's Collection, you'll find they'll all cook the same, but each has their slight differences that you may or may not care about.

Which size I'd suggest is dependent on how many you cook for. If you are a family of 4 or more, I'd go with the 12". I have 3 young kids and love the 10.5" a lot, so that's why I bought the 12" recently. The 10.5" is awesome, but a bit small for where our family is right now...though it still gets a lot of use.
gvine07
AG
I agree with everything aTm2004 said. I started with a couple Lodge skillets at first to see if I'd like them - I didn't want to jump in with a $200 skillet in case cast iron wasn't for me.

Now I love my 10.25" and 12" lodge skillets and they stay on my stove for us to use everyday. For no specific reason I'm basically committed to the Lodge's entry line. I have a griddle, a 17" skillet (for camping), and 5 miniature skillets for single eggs or desserts. The next one I get will be a 13" or 15" dual handle for grilling/finishing things in the oven.

Long in the future I may upgrade to lighter skillets, but I expect to have decades before then. The flatter-but-just-as-heavy skillets don't interest me. That's a personal preference, though, and I'm sure others are different.
sanitariex
AG
Figured I'd chime in to say I have a few unmarked Lodge skillets from the 30-40's passed down from my great grandmother that I use often. But in all honesty, they cook the exact same as the $14 12" dual D handle lodge I got on clearance from Wal Mart. And I end up using it the most since I don't have a large handle in the way. I cook omelets on it regularly and they never stick.
medwriter
This thread reminds me that I need to purchase a new cast iron skillet. I lost my old one during a move and never did replace it. Nice looking skillets BTW!
schmellba99
AG
Then that's a different story. Get new ones and start cooking again
aTm2004
AG
Gee honey, I don't know why the kids aren't going to sleep. Maybe they're just not tired.

This is the first weekend in 2 weeks we've all been together, so I figured I'd kick it off right. Quesadillas on the black stone and s'mores in the 10.5" skillet.

I kept it simple and used Lodge's recipe…and I also threw in a handful of caramel chips mixed in as well.

Must say…
Objective Aggie
AG

Objective Aggie
AG
https://www.today.com/food/trends/cast-iron-seasoning-journey-reddit-rcna67878

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/t_fit-1120w,f_auto,q_auto:best/rockcms/2023-01/cast-iron-80-coats-seasoning-zz-230127-05-6547e8.jpg
Objective Aggie
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/castiron/comments/10bozdc/making_some_eggs_in_70coat_pan/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
aTm2004
AG
Good lord.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.