Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chili Recipe

2,817 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Truman2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a great one they want to share?
fav13andac1)c
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1960537
country
AG
2 yellow onions diced
2 bell peppers diced
2 jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
2-4 tablespoons of chili powder
1-2 tablespoons of cumin
2 boxes good beef broth
1 can tomato paste
1 large can crushed tomatoes
6-8 diced tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons sugar
3 lbs diced sirloin

Brown sirloin in small batches. Salt and pepper each batch as it is browning. Remove browned meat to a side bowl. Once all meat is browned put onion and peppers in pan and stir. As they sweat scrape the pan to get all the browned meat off pan. After cooking for about 4-5 minutes add the garlic and cook a minute or two. Dump meat back into pot. Add tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste. Pour beef broth over everything and add chili powder, cumin, and sugar. Mix well. Cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours. If too runny, remove lid and cook an hour.
NColoradoAG
country said:

2 yellow onions diced
2 bell peppers diced
1-2 tablespoons of cumin
2 boxes good beef broth
1 can tomato paste
6-8 diced tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons sugar
3 lbs diced sirloin

Brown sirloin in small batches. Salt and pepper each batch as it is browning. Remove browned meat to a side bowl. Once all meat is browned put onion and peppers in pan and stir. As they sweat scrape the pan to get all the browned meat off pan. After cooking for about 4-5 minutes add the garlic and cook a minute or two. Dump meat back into pot. Add tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste. Pour beef broth over everything and add chili powder, cumin, and sugar. Mix well. Cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours. If too runny, remove lid and cook an hour.

Some of the chili recipes that get posted around here have so many damn tomatoes in them. And they all sound horrible.
country
AG
Perhaps make it and see if it tastes horrible? I don't know. Or if you like the recipe but don't like the tomatoes, take the tomatoes out? A lot of ways to respond to someone trying to help someone else without being a complete dick. Post your own recipe so we can tell you how ****y it sounds.
NColoradoAG
country said:

Perhaps make it and see if it tastes horrible? I don't know. Or if you like the recipe but don't like the tomatoes, take the tomatoes out? A lot of ways to respond to someone trying to help someone else without being a complete dick. Post your own recipe so we can tell you how ****y it sounds.
I love chili threads. People get so damn defensive. Your recipe has a lot of tomatoes. I've made recipes like that in the past and they were horrible to me. Relax.

I pretty much use a recipe similar to Fido's. Sometimes I make a chili puree, and sometimes Im lazy and just use gebhardts and some ancho chili powder. I don't use any jalepenos or serranos as my wife and daughter don't like it very spicy.

I don't even measure things at this point. The horror.
schmellba99
AG
NColoradoAG said:

country said:

2 yellow onions diced
2 bell peppers diced
1-2 tablespoons of cumin
2 boxes good beef broth
1 can tomato paste
6-8 diced tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons sugar
3 lbs diced sirloin

Some of the chili recipes that get posted around here have so many damn tomatoes in them. And they all sound horrible.
Coming from somebody with that handle......yeah, I don't put any stock in the comments.
Martin Cash
AG
I've never understood sugar in chili.

Blasphemy
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
javajaws
AG
Martin Cash said:

Blasphemy
Sugar in spaghetti sauce is used lightly to cut the acidity - I assume the same thing here.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
FIDO*98*
AG
But would you really call that chili?
GAC06
AG
Pureed actual chiles
Cubed browned beef
Tomato paste but no other tomatoes
Fresh jalepenos/serranos/onions/garlic
Beer/stock
Spices

And…

Pinto beans
ValleyRatAg
AG
Chili threads are just about the most divisive threads on Texags. Needs to be moved to Politics or R&P boards.

According to a bunch of people that post here, chop up whatever ingredients you want, throw it in a pot with whatever you think tastes good and because you grew up poor add beans to it. Call it chili and you're good to go.
country
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

Chili threads are just about the most divisive threads on Texags. Needs to be moved to Politics or R&P boards.

According to a bunch of people that post here, chop up whatever ingredients you want, throw it in a pot with whatever you think tastes good and because you grew up poor add beans to it. Call it chili and you're good to go.

Exactly. End of Chile threads for ever
country
AG
BTW…..just to go back to Colorado's original diatribe. I make a badass Chile without tomatoes. It's called carne guisada. To me if you use cubed beef instead of ground beef, there is no difference except for the spices you throw in. And they are both awesome.
GAC06
AG
Why don't you load that up with tomatoes too?
Max Power
AG
If you make chili with a ton of tomatoes, and it tastes good, fine by me. Mine is pretty similar to Fido's from the thread that's linked above. The one big change is that instead of beer I use red wine, Malbec to be exact. Make fun of it if you want, but red wine will take it up a notch.
schmellba99
AG
country said:

BTW…..just to go back to Colorado's original diatribe. I make a badass Chile without tomatoes. It's called carne guisada. To me if you use cubed beef instead of ground beef, there is no difference except for the spices you throw in. And they are both awesome.
Carne guisada uses almost stew sized cuts of beef, not coarse ground or chili sized cubes. And is more of a stew than anything.

And it's awesome, especially with some fresh flour tortillas.

Damn, i'm hungry now.
FIDO*98*
AG

Buzzy
javajaws said:

Martin Cash said:

Blasphemy
Sugar in spaghetti sauce is used lightly to cut the acidity - I assume the same thing here.

Might as well throw a carrot in there, then, it accomplishes the same goal.
The Pilot
AG
Made this a few wks ago. It's my new favorite

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/brisket-chili
javajaws
AG
I made faux chili this week. Hamburger meat and box chili seasoning. And to top it off I ate it with some Jiffy mix cornbread.

Yes, I'm a heathen. But hey, at least I didn't defile it with beans!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
mslags97
AG
Actually have a good one for the instapot they can get you decent chili in 30 minutes. Better than decent, actually.

We used wagyu ground beef the other day, and it was excellent. Have to siphon off some of the grease, but worth it.

mslags97
AG
And I'm a huge chili fan (and snob according to my wife…)

But I love this one.

And if you have to be dairy free like me, I used the Siete white queso to sub for sour cream and cheese, and it worked well!
Bruce Almighty
AG
Made chili today for the football games, no tomatoes, no beans.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.