Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Shrimp boil alternative?

3,884 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BusterAg
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm having friends over for a shrimp boil. One of my friends is coming to hang with us, but he's bringing his own food due to a shellfish allergy. I was just going to throw some sausage in the pot and take it out before the shrimp goes in, but wondering if the Texags super chefs have an alternative idea that doesn't include firing up the grill.

Any help appreciated.
Rexter
I developed an allergy to shellfish, so when I boil for the group, I run 2 pots. One for shrimp, one for everything else. I do toss some sausage in with the shrimp since the grease makes the shell slide off easily.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Just like you would for a crawfish boil. Corn, potatoes, mushrooms, cauliflower, and whatever else you find that might be good in the boil. Remember to put in more boil seasoning before you put the shrimp in.
DiskoTroop
Not that I'm questioning your friends allergy but my wife's shellfish allergy is only to some protein in the shells. If the shrimp are cooked outside of the shell, no issue.

If that's the case you can always just boil some peeled shrimp for that person. Seasoning doesn't stick the same but it works.

Just a thought, and certainly wouldn't suggest risking anything but for future reference, perhaps this is the case.

In any scenario, boiling some brats then a quick broil in the oven for that friend would be a simple alternative.
BusterAg
AG
Thanks guys.

I'll go the brat route. Good suggestion.
FIDO*98*
AG
Just out of curiosity, I was going to ask what the trouble with the grill is? I usually drop a slab of baby back ribs in my boil with the seasonings to add some pork fat. Pull them at about 25 minutes and finish on the grill. Makes for a great appetizer for a boil
B-1 83
AG
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Not that I'm questioning your friends allergy but my wife's shellfish allergy is only to some protein in the shells. If the shrimp are cooked outside of the shell, no issue.

If that's the case you can always just boil some peeled shrimp for that person. Seasoning doesn't stick the same but it works.

Just a thought, and certainly wouldn't suggest risking anything but for future reference, perhaps this is the case.

In any scenario, boiling some brats then a quick broil in the oven for that friend would be a simple alternative.
Different for everybody. Mine is only shrimp - shell or no shell. When my friend does mudbugs, he does everything in the pot, dips out a mess for me, then throws shrimp in.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
BusterAg
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Just out of curiosity, I was going to ask what the trouble with the grill is? I usually drop a slab of baby back ribs in my boil with the seasonings to add some pork fat. Pull them at about 25 minutes and finish on the grill. Makes for a great appetizer for a boil

No problem with the grill. Just keeping to one fire.

I've never heard of ribs in a shrimp boil. Sounds good.
DiskoTroop
Par boiling ribs is kind of a cheater method of getting them cooked and tender quickly but it works. Can also pressure cook for like 30 min.

Sauce and char up on the grill a bit and you're off to the races.
cypress-ag
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Spent some time with a friend that lives in South Carolina and he cooked his ribs the exact same way with the shrimp boil. I was horrified when he did it but satisfied with the results. I've learned in life if someone's cooking for me just shut up and enjoy it.
BusterAg
AG
This turned out pretty well.

We didn't have enough sauce on the ribs when they went to the grill, but the seasoning in the ribs was excellent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.