Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pickiness

6,162 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jtp01
1997aggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are you guys most picky about? What is it that you like and will not settle for anything less? Is it a certain type of food, a certain type of alcohol?

I, for example, am really picky about my beer. I love stouts and porters, specifically coffee and or chocolate based. I also really like Belgium beers as well.

I can eat a quick plate of cheese nachos or a pb&j but when it comes to beer I'd rather just not drink altogether if it's a Miller Lite or something similar. I used to not be this way.

What say you?
Duncan Idaho
There are certain foods I won't eat. Some because
I feel I am too good for (anything that includes a can of cream of _______ soup)
I ate too much of it as a kid and now no longer enjoy (bananas come to mind)
I have a wierd hangup about (mustard,if I close my eyes I can still smell the mustard on hands from working a shift in the kitchen at the chicken)
Stuff I will only eat if I, or someone I trust not to ruin it, cooks it (a lot of vegetables fall in this category, due to how people used to over cook them in the past)
Lastly, there are some foods I won't eat out of trauma (the only time we had casseroles casseroles growing up were around some great loss. Mom in the hospital, someone dying, etc. So I grew to associate casseroles with sadness and death)
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I will eat just about anything. There are many things I will tell you I am too good for ("like cream of anything") but still eat and enjoy.

I dont enjoy craft beer but will drink it

I have certain ways a I grew up eating thing that I strongly prefer

Traditional Cheeseburger - Meat, Cheese and Mayo only
Homemade sandwiches on Mrs Bairds white bread (no fancy bread, even though I like to make my own)
1997aggies
AG
I also love bean burritos! Just refried beans, cheese, and hot sauce.
Max Power
AG
Good question.

I've gotten to the point where I don't order steak at restaurants. I can do steak as well as any place that wants to charge me for it. If I go out for dinner, I generally order something I don't cook all that often at home. I've become a guy that orders fish at the nice restaurant over steak, mainly because I don't cook fish very often.

As someone who worked a fast food job in high school I refrain from ordering anything that isn't special order. Some of that food sits a lot longer than you think it does. It's far more likely you get fresh food if it's a special order. I don't mean a complicated special order, just add one thing extra or take one thing off, an easy switch. This doesn't go for a place I trust, like Chik-fil-a.

I live in the midwest and I won't even go to a Mexican restaurant because they are all terrible. If my wife goes to one with her friends or family I stay home because I know it's going to be bad. Same with barbeque, the barbeque where I live isn't acceptable, I'm not going to give them my money for a bad product. I can make Tex-Mex and barbeque that is higher quality than anything in my area.

My main issue comes down to whether I can outcook the restaurant that's making the food I'm going to consume. I take pride in what I cook and how I do it. If we host people at our house for a meal, I go all out, I put in the effort to make company feel appreciated. You want your steak well done? Fine, though I disagree with your decision I'm not going to make you feel guilty or bad because I'm going to kill that steak a second time, I'll try to make you the tastiest well done steak you've ever had.
NColoradoAG
I'm not much of a picky eater. I don't like some soft textured foods like bananas and sweet potatoes. I also despise cantaloupe and honeydew. That's about it.

When it comes to eating out I just hate most sit down chain restaurants. I'll avoid them at all costs.
HTownAg98
Raw squash is something I cannot do, but that's about it.
AustinCountyAg
Max Power said:

Good question.

I've gotten to the point where I don't order steak at restaurants. I can do steak as well as any place that wants to charge me for it. If I go out for dinner, I generally order something I don't cook all that often at home. I've become a guy that orders fish at the nice restaurant over steak, mainly because I don't cook fish very often.

As someone who worked a fast food job in high school I refrain from ordering anything that isn't special order. Some of that food sits a lot longer than you think it does. It's far more likely you get fresh food if it's a special order. I don't mean a complicated special order, just add one thing extra or take one thing off, an easy switch. This doesn't go for a place I trust, like Chik-fil-a.

I live in the midwest and I won't even go to a Mexican restaurant because they are all terrible. If my wife goes to one with her friends or family I stay home because I know it's going to be bad. Same with barbeque, the barbeque where I live isn't acceptable, I'm not going to give them my money for a bad product. I can make Tex-Mex and barbeque that is higher quality than anything in my area.

My main issue comes down to whether I can outcook the restaurant that's making the food I'm going to consume. I take pride in what I cook and how I do it. If we host people at our house for a meal, I go all out, I put in the effort to make company feel appreciated. You want your steak well done? Fine, though I disagree with your decision I'm not going to make you feel guilty or bad because I'm going to kill that steak a second time, I'll try to make you the tastiest well done steak you've ever had.
I'm the same way.
bmc13
AG
the texture of most beans is off-putting to me
JCA1
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Max Power said:

Good question.

I'm the same way.
Make that 3. I typically order seafood or some other protein I typically don't try at home (mainly duck right now).
schmellba99
AG
Not super picky, but I pretty much despise any and all legumes. Whether they be pinto, kidney, lima beans, etc. or black eyed peas - the mushy texture is repulsive to me.

Outside of that there are only a handful of things that I don't do - beets, raw fish (will do shrimp ceviche though, go figure)...that's about all I can really think of.

I like food, and like most methods it's prepared. Not a huge soup/stew guy, but sometimes both are absolutely nails and the perfect meal.
Max Power
AG
I like ceviche, but I still can't do sushi.
cc10106
Raw onions in general or like what Whataburger uses are nasty, and they don't belong in chicken salad either.

Cheap BBQ sides like potato salad from a plastic tub or sugary cole slaw are not good either along with gloopy dishes like casseroles or bakes whose ingredients are a mystery with a bunch of cream saturating everything. Do better.

schmendeler
AG
Cold food that is supposed to be hot
fav13andac1)c
AG
Anything containing cooked bananas, like banana bread. Sickly sweet and just a weird flavor. And for that matter, overripe bananas are no go for me. Mushy and too sweet.
B-1 83
AG
Butter. I will not eat margarine, and it never enters my house.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
schmellba99
AG
B-1 83 said:

Butter. I will not eat margarine, and it never enters my house.
I outlawed margarine in our house years ago. Real butter only, and it is glorious.
ORAggieFan
Coffee for sure, I won't drink office swill, rather go without.

Beer I prefer good beers, but I won't turn any beer down, so less picky.

Agree above about steaks. I can out cook most restaurant steaks, so usually go another route.
FitzChivalry
AG
I am mainly picky about food cooked outside of my own kitchen.

Working commerical pest control for a year and seeing the state of some kitchens around town was repulsive. I've gotten to the point where I can tell from the front of house what the back of house will look like. If I see key indicators of unsanitary practices I am OUT.

I have friends/family that keep their kitchen in horrendous conditions as well.

It's a weird tick of mine. When you have filled a commerical trash can full of dead German cockroaches inside a Chili's you can understand lol.
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

Cold food that is supposed to be hot

Better than hot food that's supposed to be cold
beagle2009
AG
There is not much I won't try. I love to explore new foods/ingredients.

I'm a huge leftover snob, however. I really don't like to eat leftovers from the night before for lunch, and generally will only eat leftovers once before I move on to the next thing. It drives my wife nuts.
schmendeler
AG
That too
schmendeler
AG
To be more specific, pancakes. I won't eat pancakes just about anywhere except for cracker barrel. I can't stand most places like Denny's or ihop's pancakes.
SpiderDude
AG
Max Power said:

Good question.

Agreed. Restaurant steaks are expensive and with a sous vide at home I get the perfect cooked steak when I want it... which isn't that often to be honest. I wish I could say the local Tex Mex in Austin sucks but it doesn't and I enjoy it more than I should and my waistline shows it!
htxag09
AG
I really don't want to turn this into the over hashed steak debate, but there are definitely steak houses that make a better steak than I do at home because of various things, source, dry aging, equipment, etc. Yes, you can generally get dry aged steaks at HEB now, but they're pretty damn expensive. At the price, I'll save tenderloins for steak at the house and stick to my preferred dry aged NY strip at a nice steakhouse where I can pair it with other things I normally wouldn't cook at home.

As far as the OP, not really "picky" about anything. I'll eat anything. Including boiled squash, which I absolutely hate but continually choked it down as a kid because I didn't want to upset my mom. People would say I'm a wine snob but I'll still drink cheap wine. I do tend to avoid "diet" desserts. If I'm eating dessert I want the real damn thing, I'll just moderate how much I eat vs. eating something that tries to taste like it but really tastes like crap.
JYDog90
AG
I won't eat Miracle Whip.

I also don't eat apples that aren't crisp.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Tanya 93
I am not picky
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'll eat almost anything (that's considered normal), but I can't stand mushrooms. Even truffles make me gag. When I ate the truffle explosion at Alinea, I thought it was about the worse thing I've ever eaten. I also never order steak because I know I can make one better. Mexican food is my favorite, but even at its worse, I'll never turn it down. Taco Bell is still good.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'm the same way
DatTallArchitect
AG
I'm picky when it comes to desserts. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, and it has to be the right dish to get me to eat dessert. There are very few sweets I will consistently eat if made/offered.
FIDO*98*
AG
Vegetables are a big one for me. I like just about every vegetable if it's well prepared, but they are absolutely disgusting if over-cooked

I don't believe in food alchemy. If it's not good on it's own, chances are if you cook with it I'm not going to like it. Common examples are cream of mushroom, Lipton onion soup mix, rotel, cheap pasta sauce, packets, boxes, canned veggies. Basically center isle short cuts.

Salad dressing. I make it homemade nearly every time, especially ranch or blue cheese

I've gotten really picky about burgers. I want them loosely formed with fresh ground beef and pressed or smashed into a griddle. 5.5-6oz is the sweet spot regardless if it's as single or split in two. Most common way I make them at home is twin 3oz. I use a scale. I won't eat a burger from frozen beef anymore.

Eating out I avoid most fast food and fast casual chains as much as possible.
FincAg
AG
I can't eat raw tomatoes. Only sometimes thinly sliced on a sandwich or burger, but with plenty of lettuce and onion so in order to not taste or feel the tomato.
Texker
AG
Given that I worked in the restaurant industry in grad school and my grandparents owned a grocery store I won't eat anything that's not fresh. I probably throw out food that's perfectly fine but it's not fresh. Cold or frozen(like frozen peas) no prob, but if it's stale or even close to stale I'm out.
AlaskanAg99
AG
1997aggies said:

What are you guys most picky about? What is it that you like and will not settle for anything less? Is it a certain type of food, a certain type of alcohol?

I, for example, am really picky about my beer. I love stouts and porters, specifically coffee and or chocolate based. I also really like Belgium beers as well.

I can eat a quick plate of cheese nachos or a pb&j but when it comes to beer I'd rather just not drink altogether if it's a Miller Lite or something similar. I used to not be this way.

What say you?
*Belgian beers are from Belgium, but they're not Belgium beers.

This is something I'm picky about. I also love Belgian beers too.
cypress-ag
AG
FitzChivalry said:

I am mainly picky about food cooked outside of my own kitchen.

Working commerical pest control for a year and seeing the state of some kitchens around town was repulsive. I've gotten to the point where I can tell from the front of house what the back of house will look like. If I see key indicators of unsanitary practices I am OUT.

I have friends/family that keep their kitchen in horrendous conditions as well.

It's a weird tick of mine. When you have filled a commerical trash can full of dead German cockroaches inside a Chili's you can understand lol.
I spent 18 years working for a large family restaurant group in Texas and learned from the hand of the brothers. I never worked in the restraurants but helped build and maintain and handled logistics for them. They always told me if you're out of town and looking for a place to eat, circle the back of the building and look how they handle that area and it will tell you all you need to know about the kitchen. That said..certain places that I do love, I don't want to look at the back because it would break my heart and I choose to remain in the dark.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.