Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cookbook rant (aka old man yelling at cloud)

2,655 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by schmellba99
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We really liked defined dish so my wife got the comfortable kitchen by Alex snodgrass. She handed it to me and asked me to pick some recipes for the week. What's the deal with this new trend of not having a list of recipes either in the front of the book or in each section. I'm not going to flip page by page through 50+ pages to pick out dinner…..only other option is really going through the index but that's less than ideal also
Teslag
AG
It's even worse online. A long diatribe about feelings, thoughts, their childhood, and then finally a list ingredients and the actual instructions.
htxag09
AG
Salute The Marines said:

It's even worse online. A long diatribe about feelings, thoughts, their childhood, and then finally a list ingredients and the actual instructions.

100% agree. But I don't feel I have the right to ***** about online because I didn't pay for it. So I have to deal with their crap story. But if you're selling a book, make it easy for your customers to scan.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Most of the recipes have a Jump To Recipe link at or near the top.
sanitariex
AG
Salute The Marines said:

You forgot the endless advertisements.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Salute The Marines said:

Don't blame them, blame the internet and search engines. It's just optimization for showing up on searches.

That being said, no table in the front or back sucks. Is there not even an index in the back? I find indexes are fine for a cookbook, don't always need a table of content.
schmendeler
AG
htxag09 said:

We really liked defined dish so my wife got the comfortable kitchen by Alex snodgrass. She handed it to me and asked me to pick some recipes for the week. What's the deal with this new trend of not having a list of recipes either in the front of the book or in each section. I'm not going to flip page by page through 50+ pages to pick out dinner…..only other option is really going through the index but that's less than ideal also
You can't flip through a cookbook for 10-15 minutes after someone offered to cook you at least one dinner of your choosing, if not more from it? The hell?
htxag09
AG
Lots of assuming here. My wife and I meal prep on the weekends to create a grocery list. We usually each pick a few meals. We both cook. Sometimes we cook together, sometimes I cook while she hangs out with the one year old, and vice versa.

I'm not too lazy to flip through a cookbook for 10 minutes then have a meal magically appear in front of me as you are implying.

My wife just bought this cookbook so wanted to try meals from it. I'd just prefer to go to the pasta section, for example, see a table for the 10 pasta recipes in the section, and decide if any of them sound good that week.
SpiderDude
AG
Salute The Marines said:

This. ****ing this. I use pinterest to save online recipes. If it's not this it's the damn pop-ups asking you to subscribe to their site, etc. Grrr!!!
The Lost
The online ones are stories for copy right claim… Google it
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
As the author of cookbooks get more established they feel more comfortable using their platform to tell their story. Unfortunately someone will post every recipe in the first few days a popular cookbook is up so the book has to offer something more; a story, awesome pictures ect…

Christina Tosis new book is very light on recipes and almost all kitchen and life lessons told in parable. Which will be fine with me because I love Christina Tosis energy

If you want more recipes you'll have to buy books from less popular author, and snodgrass is popular. I however was also disappointed in this book
htxag09
AG
This is a good point. When my wife bought it I jokingly said "why? All her favorite recipes are in the other cookbook, this will mainly just be the leftovers."

But I do have cookbooks from people that have stories I enjoy reading or we have some cookbooks that we display. So I understand what you're saying. I guess I just view most cookbook as that and want to use them simply as a reference. I also agree that this one is a little disappointing in general. Maybe that compounded my annoyance, not only do you have the spend the time flipping through the whole thing to see the content, but the content wasn't what I expected based on her other's.
Chipotlemonger
AG
htxag09 said:

I'm looking at this exact book right now. Between the index, if I want to search by say chicken or fish, and the table of contents up front, I really don't see what the problem is.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I thought the same when I went back to it, I made the Zuppa Toscana tonight it was great
Chipotlemonger
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I thought the same when I went back to it, I made the Zuppa Toscana tonight it was great

Good call, that's a great recipe
JYDog90
AG

I'm cooking it tomorrow night! Thanks for the recommendation!
Formerly Willy Wonka
JYDog90
AG
Willy Wonka said:

I'm cooking it tomorrow night! Thanks for the recommendation!

I know you're all waiting with bated breath to hear how the Zuppa Toscana was. It was great! Even the kids loved it. I was a little concerned that the kale would be overpowering but I couldn't taste it at all. Definitely a winner!

Thanks, food board!
Formerly Willy Wonka
htxag09
AG
I know my rant was dumb. I know the index will work. But it turns out Alex snodgrass reads Texags….. my wife printed this off her social media today

Buzzy
That's pretty damn cool
Buzzy
Salute The Marines said:

Just have to immediately scroll to the bottom although I agree the ads are annoying.
HTownAg98
The Lost said:

The online ones are stories for copy right claim… Google it
The recipe itself (the list of ingredients and instructions) cannot be protected by copyright. Almost everything else (photos, the story with it, illustrations) can. All anyone can do is shame you for plagiarizing a recipe.
schmellba99
AG
If it's stories and what not....don't call it a cookbook. HTH.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.