Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

"Georgia" BBQ?

2,509 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by schmellba99
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure how many have had this but this was considered bbq when I was a kid. A brisket was unheard of. It was chopped pork, Brunswick stew and Cole slaw (really finely minced Cole slaw..delicious).

http://www.freshairbarbecue.com/
Rexter
We visited Zeb's BBQ in Danielsville, GA almost every week for the exact same meal when I was a kid. After moving to TX, we would stop there every time we went back to visit relatives. I still go by there every fall when I go back to GA for a family reunion.

Teslag
AG
That looks like something they would serve in a middle school lunch cafeteria
SoTxAg
AG
Crockpot some Heb pork fajita for same effect.
CDub06
AG
That menu gets more and more absurd:

Hotdog...
Stewdog...
Slawdog
Stew Slawdog...
fav13andac1)c
AG
TexAgs Food & Spirits Board: Attempting to crush childhood nostalgia since 1999.
AZAG08
AG
I remember the first time I traveled out of state for work and my collogues wanted to take me to lunch at the "best" bbq place.

I flipped the single page menu 3 or 4 times trying to figure out where the beef section was
Cromagnum
AG
The middle east coasters like their pulled pork, that's for sure.
Duncan Idaho
In Alabama, i'll make a brisket on major social holidays. More than once, someone has asked "I saw you had the smoker going, where is the BBQ?" While staring at the brisket.
superunknown
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

In Alabama, i'll make a brisket on major social holidays. More than once, someone has asked "I saw you had the smoker going, where is the BBQ?" While staring at the brisket.

I always tell them "yeah pork is what you snack on while waiting for the real BBQ to be ready".

Take your alabama white sauce and gtfoh, gump.
HTownAg98
I've never been that impressed with pulled pork barbecue that wasn't pulled while waiting. It always seems like it dries out and isn't that great once that happens. The one time I've had excellent pork barbecue was at a whole hog barbecue. That stuff was amazing.
schmellba99
AG
Beef is a Texas thing, and I suppose to some degree Oklahoma and the overrated pocket of KCMO.

Pretty much east of the Sabine anything labeled as "BBQ" is going to be pork, and there are some phenomenal pitmasters out that way that can absolutely cook the hell out of any part of the pig and make it taste outstanding. It's not Texas BBQ by any stretch, but southeastern pork off the pit can be damned good.
heddleston
AG
My time in rural north Ga has taught me that BBQ can be a flavorless shredded protein mass that's merely a delivery device for ridiculously sweet bbq sauce. There're definitely folks who know how to smoke meat up here, but you gotta vet them first. And don't necessarily take the local's word for it.
BurnetAggie99
Only BBQ I've ever liked was Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q in Atlanta. It's Texas BBQ. Also the brothers are from Ft. Worth Texas before moving to Georgia.
heddleston
AG
And Brunswick stew is fine, but I definitely wasn't expecting it the first time I had BBQ up there.
BurnetAggie99
Growing up from German heritage my Great grandfather came to Texas from Munich. My grandfather made this German stew called Gaisburger Marsch. Similar to Brunswick Stew. He would use for meats beef, deer, pork, veal, squirrel or whatever combo of meats he had on hand. Basically brown your meats dusted in flour in lard with some diced onion, then add in your beef stock, bone marrow, spices, garlic, chopped carrots, sliced potatoes. Basically that would simmer for few hours in a Dutch oven and then serve it over homemade Sptzle.
Duncan Idaho
Yeah I ate at Rodney Scott's dad's place in SC about 10 years ago.

It was absolutely fantastic and worth the 2hr side trip. Loved the made to order pork rinds.

But the steam table pulled pork around town is meh at best. The ribs are pretty good but I prefer mine a little more rendered (not fall off the bone but not tear off the bone)
TikkaShooter
Universally, BBQ places outside of TX don't know how to use a salt shaker. I can't explain why, but anything I've had outside of TX is bland and overcooked.
LCE
AG
Is that watered down baked beans?
Rexter
LCE said:

Is that watered down baked beans?

No beans at Zeb's. Notice the pepper/vinegar sauce in the jar.
FarmerJohn
AG
Never understood bragging about making a pig taste good. Isn't that just how they come?
TXAG 05
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Never understood bragging about making a pig taste good. Isn't that just how they come?

This. Pulled pork is almost impossible to screw up.
Max Power
AG
TXAG 05 said:

FarmerJohn said:

Ribs are easy as well. My standard order at a bbq place I'm trying out for the first time is always brisket and sausage. Been to KC several times, every time I go to a bbq place I get asked where I'm from, and when I reply "Texas" there's always less than witty retort from them about Texas bbq. I don't know where this attitude is derived from but they generally quiet down when I gently remind them KC bbq's claim to fame isn't actually bbq, it's overly sweet sauce and overdone brisket, that they cover in said sauce. The sad thing is every time I go in one of them I'm completely open minded when I walk in the door, I don't assume it's going to be good or bad, then they start talking.

They also really hate it when I point out their commercial "smoker" is a plug in, just like my oven.
schmellba99
AG
TXAG 05 said:

FarmerJohn said:

Disagree, it is easy to screw up IMO. Between the seasoning and knowing when to pull, how long to rest, etc. to keep it from drying out - which it will do in a heartbeat - there is a reason why there are tiers of places that do pork.
HTownAg98
Agreed. The actual cooking part is easy. The resting and pulling is where most people screw it up. Most people pull pork way too early when it is piping hot (and end up with burned fingertips in the process). All that steam that comes off the meat is moisture that is evaporating into the ether. Just allowing the meat to rest on the counter uncovered for an hour or two will do wonders to your pulled pork.
CDub06
AG
I do some fantastic brisket and ribs. I did my first pulled pork a few months back and...it did not come out so well.

I used to think it was dummy proof.
schmellba99
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Yeah I ate at Rodney Scott's dad's place in SC about 10 years ago.

It was absolutely fantastic and worth the 2hr side trip. Loved the made to order pork rinds.

But the steam table pulled pork around town is meh at best. The ribs are pretty good but I prefer mine a little more rendered (not fall off the bone but not tear off the bone)
I didn't go to his dad's place, but his place in Charleston when I was there. Pretty solid, but not out of this world solid. Definitely worth the trip though and would go back given the opportunity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.