Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Lobster tails

3,379 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fka ftc
JimbosHatBarelyFits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up a couple yesterday at the local grocery store. Never done lobster before. Broil best option? Literally have zero idea how to prepare them but thought it would be interesting to give it a try. Appreciate any responses.
Sazerac
AG
Sous vide in a bag of butter
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Sazerac said:

Do I need to do any prep work before hand?
HTownAg98
Yes. Run a skewer down the tail so it doesn't curl. Then plunge them in boiling water for one minute, and then directly into an ice bath. Then you can remove the shell and put them in a sous vide bag with a bunch of butter.
Tailgate88
AG
JimbosHatBarelyFits said:

Sazerac said:

Do I need to do any prep work before hand?
Make a cardiologist appointment.

(Just kidding, that sounds amazing.)
Potcake
AG
I'm sauteeing one with peppers and garlic in olive oil for a pasta tonight.
kithas
AG
Throw them on the grill!

Remove the clear lining on the underside, but keep the flesh attached to the end of the tail. De-vein them and put in a ziploc with salt, butter, sparkling wine and a splash of orange juice for a few hours.
Place on grill shell-down for 5-7 minutes - basting with marinade occasionally. Flip over with the flesh down for a minute or two, then back on the shell until cooked (firm, white flesh).
GAC06
AG
Why sparkling wine
kithas
AG
I don't know if it does anything different, just what an old recipe called for. Have done it several times and it's turned out great.
Teslag
AG
If you are going to grill buy warm water instead of cold water tails. Warm water are more firm and hold up better.
mslags97
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Yes. Run a skewer down the tail so it doesn't curl. Then plunge them in boiling water for one minute, and then directly into an ice bath. Then you can remove the shell and put them in a sous vide bag with a bunch of butter.

At what temp?
Sazerac
AG
AggieBarstool
I saute in a little garlic butter on a low simmer. Don't let it overcook.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Look up the "Outback Steakhouse" technique. That's all lobster is good for.
djmeen95
AG
I grab the massive (20 oz plus) lobster tails from HEB from time to time and cook them in the oven.

I cut the shell down the middle on top and pull the meat out so it rests on the shell (butterfly style).

Brush with butter and place in the oven under the broiler.

Here's a decent set of instructions: https://www.wholesomeyum.com/the-best-broiled-lobster-tail-recipe/

I like to grab some fancy flavored butter from HEB for the tails as well. Don't forget dessert - I recommend Lipitor.

Ags03
AG
I do exactly what HTownAg98 does.
BusterAg
AG
kithas said:

Throw them on the grill!

Remove the clear lining on the underside, but keep the flesh attached to the end of the tail. De-vein them and put in a ziploc with salt, butter, sparkling wine and a splash of orange juice for a few hours.
Place on grill shell-down for 5-7 minutes - basting with marinade occasionally. Flip over with the flesh down for a minute or two, then back on the shell until cooked (firm, white flesh).
This is what I do, but not with a marinade. I like the taste of lobster with just a little garlic butter.

I grill them with zero seasoning, but cut off membrane, start on shell, finish shell side up.

Tasty.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I'm a big fan of doing these on the smoker. Usually do them a few times a year

https://overthefirecooking.com/smoked-lobster-tails-with-parmesan-butter/

Duncan Idaho
I might have to try that
schmellba99
AG
Season, grill over mesquite (one of the few times I lobby for and use heavy mesquite) with a good amount of butter. If you don't have mesquite, pecan, then hickory in that order.

Mesquite, IMO, pairs extremely well with seafood - better than any other type of protein on the grill. Throw some bacon wrapped scallops on while you are at it and enjoy a hell of a fine meal.
fka ftc
Unless I missed it, but when butter is mentioned I always default to clarified butter.

https://www.seriouseats.com/clarified-butter-recipe

I will make 4 or 8 sticks and then put in various containers with spices. Lobsters, other shell fish, searing a steak, etc.

A good clarified butter is like a good ranch. I dip anything in that ****.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.