Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Talk to me about air fryers

6,529 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by bigtruckguy3500
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I'm a single guy and I like to cook. Sometimes I want to quickly roast some veggies, or warm up something in the oven, but don't because it's a hassle. I used to have a toaster oven that I gave to my mom, and am thinking about splurging and getting the Breville cadillac of toaster ovens. But I also don't feel like spending that much right now.

Does anyone have a small/cheap air fryer that works well for roasting some veggies, making some fries, cooking up some fish? Or would it be better to just splurge on the Breville? I also have a small apartment, so counter space is somewhat limited.

Thanks
FIDO*98*
AG
We have the Breville and it's been worth the price. It great for when we don't want to heat the oven and it preheats in no time. We roast veggies in it several times a week. They are obviously useless as a fryer so French fries are no bueno, but they are adequate for heating up previously fried foods or frozen fries
SpiderDude
AG
In before "it's just a convection oven".
strohag
AG
We have a Ninja air fryer xl. Great for reheating things for sure. I actually like leftover pizza out of the air fryer a lot. Wife will make Brussel sprouts and other veggies in it a lot. Also great for frozen food like fries, chicken strips etc. We use it much more than I thought we would. Can definitely cook pork chops, fish, etc.
HtownAg92
AG
FIDO*98* said:

We have the Breville and it's been worth the price. It great for when we don't want to heat the oven and it preheats in no time. We roast veggies in it several times a week. They are obviously useless as a fryer so French fries are no bueno, but they are adequate for heating up previously fried foods or frozen fries
This. The preheat time is great and it works way better than the big oven for frozen "fried" foods. And it whips ass on pizza.

The only drawback I've found so far is that because of the compact area, it will sometimes come close to burning the tops of biscuits before the middle layers get cooked. Make sure you adjust your cooking time and check earlier because it cooks fast.
cypress-ag
AG
I enjoy having it in the kitchen and treat it like any other tool that I use. It's not for everything but there are nights that I don't want to heat the overn for baked potatos etc. and it comes in damn handy. I've done salmon, lobster tails and they've come out better than my convection oven. Played around with an extra strip steak I had and didn't feel like griling on night...no go on that. Reheating Pizza cooking nuggets etc. it's a nice tool.
GAC06
AG
I didn't realize five minutes to heat an oven was such an issue
superunknown
AG
Frozen burritos that get petrified on the ends while still frozen when cooked in the microwave are amazing when done in the air fryer.
cypress-ag
AG
GAC06 said:

When there are only 2 in a house it doesn't make sense to heat an over for 2 potatos.....
aznaggiegirl07
AG
cypress-ag said:

GAC06 said:

When there are only 2 in a house it doesn't make sense to heat an over for 2 potatos.....

Agreed, and he lives alone so...
GAC06
AG
cypress-ag said:

GAC06 said:

So it makes sense to buy a new appliance?
Diggity
AG
Apparently it does for many.
fav13andac1)c
AG
So Serious Eats just published their first air fryer recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/air-fryer-brussels-sprouts-with-preserved-lemon-caesar-dressing-5213458

Does this mean they will be regularly accepted on TexAgs now?
cypress-ag
AG
GAC06 said:

cypress-ag said:

GAC06 said:

So it makes sense to buy a new appliance?
Why you replying if you don't care for air fryers ? Dude asked about them and your here being a smart ass.
GAC06
AG
I didn't say I don't care and I'm not being a smart ass. Of course you could have discussed the topic but instead you posted about me.
strohag
AG
I don't know of many ovens that get to temp in 5 mins to bake a potato
GAC06
AG
Touche. I just tried mine out of curiosity and it took just under 7 minutes to get over 300. The point stands.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I got one for Christmas, which I rely wasn't expecting. It's been nice and convenient. One great aspect of it is its much easier for my kids to use than the oven. They've been sharing recipes with me they want to try. It's been fun.

Cooks surprisingly well. It's been much better to roast a couple of bundles of asparagus and other vegetables than our ovens. Even frozen veggies have come out tasty.

I like having ours.
FIDO*98*
AG
The devices are handy and recipes for roasted foods are perfectly fine. The name air fryer and suggestions of trying to fry foods in them should be ridiculed for perpetuity
fav13andac1)c
AG
Completely agree. BUT, what would an alternative name be that would also sell a lot of product?
aznaggiegirl07
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Completely agree. BUT, what would an alternative name be that would also sell a lot of product?
Yes, nut juices are called "milks", and there's a lot sold despite not being named properly
Agasaurus Tex
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Mini convection oven?
FincAg
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Easy Bake but that was already taken
rlb28
AG
got a Ninja SP101 air fryer for Christmas. So far we've done this...

- heated up sausage balls. stayed crisp, not soggy
- raw chicken tenders (no breading) with parmesan were juicy.
- tater tots were great and crusted well.
- HEB pre-made salmon patties had a great crust.
- HEB pre-cut sweet potato fries were not good.

It takes about 20 seconds to pre-heat. I think our oven takes 7-10 minutes, not five like someone posted above. Overall a great buy for us.

bigtruckguy3500
GAC06 said:

Thanks for your input. That's kinda what I'm curious about.

My electric oven takes probably 10-15 minutes to get up to 400 degrees, which is what's needed for frozen bagged fries I buy. I think they use a lot more energy, and are less likely to make the kitchen heat up (especially in the summer). I know someone who kept one in their office to heat up their lunch. I believe air fryers, with their convection fans also help cook things faster, and crispier from what I understand.

So, if a small, cheap, air fryer, can work for my needs and makes sense, and is worth getting is my big question.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

GAC06 said:

Thanks for your input. That's kinda what I'm curious about.

My electric oven takes probably 10-15 minutes to get up to 400 degrees, which is what's needed for frozen bagged fries I buy. I think they use a lot more energy, and are less likely to make the kitchen heat up (especially in the summer). I know someone who kept one in their office to heat up their lunch. I believe air fryers, with their convection fans also help cook things faster, and crispier from what I understand.

So, if a small, cheap, air fryer, can work for my needs and makes sense, and is worth getting is my big question.
Yes,it is worth getting….get one and never look back….

FIDO*98*
AG
The fact that I own one should tell you they are worth having. If I were single, that would go double. Spring for the Breville and you won't be sorry. They just can't fry food
Diggity
AG
Correct. They do an excellent job of heating up previously fried food, and a like being able to shake the basket rather than turning over food.

In my limited attempts to batter and fry things, it wasn't great.
HTownAg98
I already have a really good toaster oven (Breville, a common theme it seems). What can an air fryer do that a good toaster oven with convection can't do?
waryman
AG
For those of you that have a Breville, which model do you have? Smart Oven Air Fryer or the larger Pro? I'm trying to decide between the two. Any advantages for the pro? Single person household.
Big Al 1992
AG
Air fry bacon. 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Might smoke up a little but you'll thank me. This alone is worth getting an air fryer.
Diggity
AG
I would recommend the air fryer with a basket. The Brevilles all look to be oven style,which aren't near as useful in my opinion.

Ninja makes a good one.
Garrelli 5000
AG
They're great for chicken wings. You may need to flip or rotate halfway, but fantastic wings.

I highly recommend doing these on the patio. They'll smoke up the kitchen pretty good. Cooking outside you don't live with the smell for several days.

Take the trash out staff.
mazag08
AG
cypress-ag said:

GAC06 said:

My potatoes take 45 mins in the oven. Another 5 to pre heat is just not a big deal. But I do restaurant quality baked potatoes with outside brushed in oil and then coated in salt and garlic powder so that it crisps up while the middle gets soft.

But I love my air fryer. I only cook bacon in the air fryer now. If we order take out I always put the buns from a burger, anything fried, and veggies in the air fryer for 5 mins before we eat. Gets rid of the soggy quality. I also use it for frozen chicken breasts. 15 mins on 250, then sprinkled with seasoning, 10 mins on 300, flip over and sprinkle other side, 10 more mins on 350. Perfect chicken for the salads I take to work.

Still learning more things to do in it.
Bocephus
AG
I love my air fryer. It is great for finger foods for watching football games. My friends use them to reheat fast food for their kids. Used mine to make tater tots for my teenager on Saturday.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.