Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Monthly 2021 Top 50 BBQ Joints

497,926 Views | 3303 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Jock 07
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
25 minutes from my house so I'll definitely be a regular. Arizona Iced Tea is a Cincinnati company. No idea why the name.
TXAG 05
AG
jja79 said:

25 minutes from my house so I'll definitely be a regular. Arizona Iced Tea is a Cincinnati company. No idea why the name.

Out of curiosity I looked it up. It's actually a New York company started to compete with Snapple and they were going to call it Santa Fe because the guy lived in an adobe style house but went with Arizona because it looked better on the can.

agfan2013
AG

Hit Bar-A-BBQ in Montgomery today for the first time, and I doubt it will be my last. Really good overall, and the pork ribs in particular were some of the best I've had in a long time. Brisket both lean and fatty were great, and the pork steak was good as well. Sides were good, we were big fans of the cheesy potatoes.

Definitely contenders to make the next top 50 list.
AggieDemocrats4Bevel
AG
Going to have to hit this place up before it becomes too crazy. Thanks for the review!
CDub06
AG
TXAG 05 said:

jja79 said:

Out of curiosity I looked it up. It's actually a New York company started to compete with Snapple and they were going to call it Santa Fe because the guy lived in an adobe style house but went with Arizona because it looked better on the can.

Well, regardless, that's the only kind of tea they have at Little Miss BBQ. I guess because of the name. Still, that's a mark off in my book.

Brewing tea isn't hard. 2M, I'm looking at you.
CDub06
AG
AggieDemocrats4Bevel said:

Going to have to hit this place up before it becomes too crazy. Thanks for the review!
We've gone to Bar A a few times. Always excellent. I've yet to try their breakfast though. It would be a nice stop on the way to an early Aggie football game.

I'd initially told my parents I needed to take them the next time they were in town visiting. It just so happened that they came into town right after the "Best New BBQ" TM issue featured them. I was expecting a crowd that Saturday, so we got there early... No one. Could've shown up at 11AM and been third in line.

That's normally how it is there. A top 50 mention might change that, but for now it's Great barbecue and a minimal wait.
jja79
AG
The importance of tea in Texas and Arizona is much different. I've been here going on 2 years now and I just don't order it anymore. Little Miss is legitimate though.
Jock 07
AG
TXAG 05 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

For those of us that don't have a subscription to TM, who is on the list and where are they from?

The Top 10
1. Palmira Barbecue, SC

2. Prime Barbecue, NC

3. Owens & Hull, GA

4. Moo's Craft Barbecue, CA

5. Heritage Barbecue, CA

6. Southern Junction, NY

7. Pica Rica BBQ, UT

8. Jon G's Barbecue, NC

9. Edge Craft Barbecue, OK

10. Golden Hour Barbecue, NE

Late to the party here but have had both moo's (at Monkish before they had a B&M) & heritage when I lived in Torrance for a couple years and both were great. Heritage reminded me so much of back home, they had Texas music on the radio and picnic tables out back to eat on. I actually emailed Daniel Vaughn after moving from Torrance to the central coast in 2021 and discovered Priedite, which was outstanding as well, suggesting he make a trip out there to check out all 3 of these spots. Honestly I'd probably put Priedite above Moos and on par with Heritage.
Jock 07
AG
Gonna try and swing by pit feind and pair with some OMF beers for lunch tomorrow, any suggestions?
agcrock2005
AG
Jock 07 said:

Gonna try and swing by pit feind and pair with some OMF beers for lunch tomorrow, any suggestions?
I might be old now because I have no clue what this means.
NColoradoAG
agcrock2005 said:

Jock 07 said:

I might be old now because I have no clue what this means.

Going for BBQ in Denver and asking for beer pairings from Our Mutual Friend
Jock 07
AG
Ha yea what NCo said, sorry I could've provided a bit better context. They bbq and brewery are right next door to each other.
jetch17
AG
Meats & hazies
Jock 07
AG
Pit Fiend & OMF. Trying not to overdo it today like I usually do when I get BBQ especially since I plan on hitting a couple other breweries while I'm up here today. Need to give post oak another shot but as far as the places I've been to here and chuckwagon back in the springs are by far the top two spots in the state in my opinion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.