Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

SIDES: Cannot stomach another Baked Potato

2,304 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JoCoAg09
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone, anyone, gimme so simple recipes for great side dishes, please! I simply cannot eat another frickin baked potato, not one more. Anyone, Anyone?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AustinCountyAg
corn
green beans
squash
pinto beans
mac n cheese

not exactly sure what you're asking here.
Panama Red
AG
Much better than baked potato
The Anchor
AG
Weird thread is weird
bmc13
AG
creamed corn
roasted vegetables
rice
Koko Chingo
AG
I am with AustinCountyAg - not sure what exactly you are looking for.

Do you want another starch or carbs? How about rice? With a rice cooker, its as easy as pressing a button. You can also make more rice than you need and use the leftovers for fried rice the next day.
rilloaggie
AG
The Anchor said:

Weird thread is weird

Reminds me of a joke!

The first construction workers says, "I swear to god if my wife packed me another bologna sandwich I'm going to kill my self by jumping off this roof." He opens his lunch and there is a bologna sandwich. He goes and jumps off the roof.

The second construction worker says, "If my wife packed me cold pizza for lunch again I'm going to kill my self by jumping off this roof." He opens his lunch and there's cold pizza. He goes and jumps off the roof.

The third construction worker says to himself, "If my wife packed me a fish sandwich I too will jump off this roof and kill my self." He opens his lunch and there is a fish sandwich. He follows suite and jumps off and kills himself.

Later on the three wives meet at the cemetery after the funerals.

The wife of the first construction worker says while crying, "If only I would have packed him a turkey sandwich he would still be here with me."

The wife of the second construction worker is also crying. "If only I would have packed him meatloaf instead he would still be here."

The third wife is just standing there looking frustrated with a more confused look. The other two look at her and ask her why she isn't crying and wishing she packed his lunch a different way.

"Don't look at me the dumbass packs his own lunch."
John Francis Donaghy
Mark Fairchild said:

Someone, anyone, gimme so simple recipes for great side dishes, please! I simply cannot eat another frickin baked potato, not one more. Anyone, Anyone?

Baked sweet potato.
Gilligan
AG
Panama Red said:

Much better than baked potato

The twice baked potato is way better than a baked potato.

Bake potatoes wrapped in buttered foil with salt. I do 200 degrees and go to work. Wife turns off the oven late afternoon and leaves them in there.

When I get home I fry bacon in a cast iron skillet. Cook as much or little as you like.

Chop up bacon
Chop up some green onions. As much or little as you like or omit.

Cut warm potatoes in half long ways. I use a knife first to run along the edge of the skin.

Then scoop the potato out into a mixing bowl.

Don't make the boats too thin or you'll get holes and/or they'll be too flimsy.

Add butter to the mixing bowl. As much or as little as you like. Add sour cream. Again you decide on the amount. Then when your wife isn't looking take 2 or 3 teaspoons of the bacon grease and toss that in. Hit it with a mixer until it's the consistency you want.

Add bacon bits, reserve some, and the green onions. Reserve some of these too. Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. Hit it with the mixer just a few times. Then FOLD in the cheese(s) you like in the amount you like.

Spoon into the boats and sprinkle with bacon bits. 350 oven until hot, bubbly or both.

Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.

Easy Cooking.

The best part is make it your way.

The leftovers are great too!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Pasta salad or some other pasta side, i.e. mac & cheese as previously mentioned.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Take a deeper dive into vegetables. That third item on the plate doesn't always need to be a starch.
Cassius
Try some Kroger Private Selection Gouda with aged White cheddar Mac and Cheese.

Thank me later.
Cassius
Steam broccoli 5 minutes, empty water, add and melt butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper and juice from a small slice of lemon. Toss to coat and serve.
ATM9000
AG
Easy one we do a lot that's good: spinach, strawberries, pickled red onions (always have pickled red onions on hand), some toasted pecans, feta, a little balsamic vinegarette. More of a salad than a side… but it goes with pretty much everything, is nutritious and delicious.
lb sand
AG
Mashed, roasted Cauliflower.

Roast in the over approx 45 min at 400, then make them like you would mashed potatoes. (we usually add a roasted garlic pod and some laughing cow cheese).
schmellba99
AG
Roasted radishes
Roasted brussel sprouts
Shaved burssel sprouts, sauteed
Parsnip fries
Roasted/seared cabbage steaks
Sauteed/seared okra
Ag 11
AG
I like steak as my side dish
HTownAg98
Cherry tomato salad.
Take a pint of cherry tomatoes, slice them in half, and toss them with a generous pinch of kosher salt. Put them in a strainer, and let them drain for 30 minutes. Save the salty tomato water.
Make a vinaigrette using the tomato water, olive oil, some white wine vinegar, a dollop of dijon mustard, and some minced shallot. Dress the tomatoes with the vinaigrette, add some chopped basil, and serve. You can add some of those small mozzarella balls too if you like.
Matsui
AG
Great idea there
Moe Jzyslak
AG
We do this all the time. So good. Sometimes we'll make bigger servings, add blueberries, blackberries, and some grilled chicken
Bruce Almighty
AG
I make roasted Brussels sprouts a couple times a month. Very good and very easy. Toss with some balsamic vinegar and honey to make it better.

[url=https://www.seriouseats.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-shallots-with-balsamic-vinegar-thanksgiving-recipe[/url]
Dumbdumb
Why has no one mentioned good ol fried okra? Fried okra is a great side!
Duncan Idaho
The Anchor said:

Weird thread is weird

He's a boomer.
Tanya 93
do you mean a starch?
cooked veggies?
a salad?

Couscous as a side can be made in ten minutes.
throw broccoli or green beans and cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over them. Toss to coat and add salt and pepper. Roast in a 400 oven until done.
Cassius
Dumbdumb said:

Because its a pita.
ftworthag02
AG
saute chopped onion & carrot in half stick of butter w/ a chicken bouillon cube and some cavenders. Cook orzo. Incorporate onion & carrot mix w/ orzo. Goes great w/ salmon or shrimp or anything. Enjoy!
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Blanch some brussels sprouts
Cut them in half
Cook some bacon and chop it up, drain some of the grease but don't wipe out the pan
Saute some garlic and shallots in the bacon grease
Toss in the sprouts and cook it all together
Top with flaky salt and cracked pepper
You can add lemon juice or balsamic vinegar to add a little acidity and cut through the saltiness
Martin Cash
AG
Dumbdumb said:

Yep, breaded in cornmeal, not flour.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Corn, several preparations and flavor combos to choose from.

A basic option would be to cut the corn off the cob, put a little butter in a cast iron or non stick, then saute, seasoning with salt. Let sit on one side until the corn on the bottom is nicely browned, then stir until corn is done to your liking. Mix in a squeeze of lime or two, some chopped cilantro, and if you are so inclined, some chipotle powder and/or a small amount of cotija cheese.
Tanya 93
Dumbdumb said:

Because the only place fried okra belongs is in a garbage can
LawHall88
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Corn, several preparations and flavor combos to choose from.

A basic option would be to cut the corn off the cob, put a little butter in a cast iron or non stick, then saute, seasoning with salt. Let sit on one side until the corn on the bottom is nicely browned, then stir until corn is done to your liking. Mix in a squeeze of lime or two, some chopped cilantro, and if you are so inclined, some chipotle powder and/or a small amount of cotija cheese.
We do this, but with avocado instead of cheese, and a chopped jalapeno thrown in.
bmc13
AG
SpiderDude
AG
Big Johnson Ag said:

Blanch some brussels sprouts
Cut them in half
Cook some bacon and chop it up, drain some of the grease but don't wipe out the pan
Saute some garlic and shallots in the bacon grease
Toss in the sprouts and cook it all together
Top with flaky salt and cracked pepper and ample Korean Chili Flake
You can add lemon juice or balsamic vinegar to add a little acidity and cut through the saltiness
Drizzle with balsamic reduction, you're welcome.
JoCoAg09
AG

$1.00. 5 minutes. Add cheese/salt if you please.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.