Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

I made those beans

4,132 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rattler12
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had to make some beans in about 3 hours today (including going to HEB). Quickly looked up the epic B-1 bean recipe. (Which is actually on the Outdoor Board)

Damn good 2 hour beans.

I added ham hocks (cooked down in bacon grease I already had) cuz ham hocks are a must for me, and I just grabbed the HEB chopped cilantro, onions, jalapeƱos, and opted for some canned diced tomatoes. Bush's Pintos from a can come out damn tasty in 2 hours. Clamato is a secret good substitute for broth.

Best possible beans in 2 hours. As good as any you slave 24 hours over.

Carry on.

fav13andac1)c
AG
I like to add chicken thighs when making this in the winter and it makes a comforting and hearty meal.

Edit: OH! And collard greens.
Rattler12
Made some white navy beans yesterday with ham hocks, tomato's , onion and a bag of triple greens from HEB....collard, mustard and turnip ....pretty good stuff
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Next time you cook up a pot of beans or greens try using a smoked turkey leg instead of ham hocks. Have always used ham hocks but after using turkey legs I may never go back to ham hocks.
lb sand
AG
We use smoked turkey wings as a substitute for smoked ham hocks on most everything(wife wont eat pork). Just made a pot of crowder peas last night with smoked turkey wing, celery, onion, red pepper and serrano; added diced zucchini about 30 minutes before ready to eat. We simmer it all in a pot in home made chicken stock for a few hours until the meat is able to be pulled off the wings.
RushHour
Can you post a link to the thread you're talking about?
ToddyHill
AG
One burning question....did you drain the beans after opening the can or was it beans and all? Ty.

FbgTxAg
AG
RushHour said:

Here

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1394477
FbgTxAg
AG
ToddyHill said:

One burning question....did you drain the beans after opening the can or was it beans and all? Ty.

Yessir. I strained the beans. I don't care for that murky juice stuff they're in.
Ag_07
AG
I make these regularly and always drain and rinse

Also I use Zing Zang instead of clamato. It's a bit thicker and gives a bit more depth of flavor as opposed to the thinner watery clamato.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
An instant Pot is a game changer when it comes to cooking dry beans. An hour or less from start to finish and no pre-soaking necessary.
ToddyHill
AG
Thank you! I made them once and did NOT drain the beans, so my results were not the greatest.
ToddyHill
AG
Thank you for that information! Personally, I love Clamato, but my wife has a SEVERE shellfish allergy, and so I've held off on making the beans. I will take your suggestion and use that product instead. Thanks again!
Texker
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also I use Zing Zang instead of clamato. It's a bit thicker and gives a bit more depth of flavor as opposed to the thinner watery clamato.

Have a pot on right now. I always drain and rinse beans as well.

I've never used Clamato. Akways sub low sodium V-8 since I usually have it on hand. May give Z-Z a try next time. Good suggestion.
AlaskanAg99
AG
They're even better smoked. Don't cook after assembly, just 4hrs on the smoker with a quick stir once an hour.

So good.
lb sand
AG
I have an instapot and agree. They are great for making beans. I also use for making yogurt and perfect hard boiled eggs. I don't really care for "regular" food cooked in the instapot. I find I have other ways to cook that I prefer whether its oven, grill, airfryer, saute pan, etc.

These crowder peas, I buy fresh/frozen at HEB. They aren't dried beans at all.
JAG03
AG
I made them a couple years ago and must have messed them up because everyone on here says how good they are but I don't care for them. I'll need to try them again.
Tailgate88
AG
Ag_07 said:

Love ZZ for Bloody Marys but I sure wish it came in low sodium. It has a stupid amount of salt.
AustinCountyAg
I DONT drain the beans when making the famous Texags beans
fav13andac1)c
AG
I don't drain either. I like the consistency with the liquid, especially when treating it like a soup.
AggieOO
Ag_07 said:

Zing zang, ftw!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
RushHour said:

And the next day use an immersion blender on them, then fry em up in a cast iron.

Dang good.
Rattler12
Ol_Ag_02 said:

RushHour said:

And the next day use an immersion blender on them, then fry em up in a cast iron.

Dang good.
Or drain them , put some lard in a cast iron skillet, put in the beans when hot and go to work with a potato masher...refried cajun red beans are good also
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.