Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide Quantity Question

1,715 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone see an issue doing this much at once? The lid is completely closed and the "max" line is all the way at the top of the lid so I think it should work fine, but I'm still very new at sous vide Thanks for any advice!

FIDO*98*
AG
That's nothing. You're fine
agcrock2005
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I've been around this board long enough to trust you! Thanks for response. It's 3 pork butts that were about 13lbs each before cooking. I slightly pulled the meat after the cook so it would fit into two bags and then put in freezer immediately to stop cooking. Was nervous they wouldn't fit into the bath.
NColoradoAG
If you ever need more room you can always get one of these. They work great for long cooks or reheating a ****load of bbq.

Coleman Party Stacker
Gilligan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

FIDO, which Sous Vide machine / appliance would you recommend?

FIDO*98*
AG
I haven't really researched them. I got the original Anova and then the Precision of flash or maybe Black Friday sales. I've been happy with them, but I probably use them less than once a month. The dedicated Sous Vide bin is worth it
Sazerac
AG
Did you just cut a hole in the lid?

Looks like a nice shape for most big cooks
Gilligan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I haven't really researched them. I got the original Anova and then the Precision of flash or maybe Black Friday sales. I've been happy with them, but I probably use them less than once a month. The dedicated Sous Vide bin is worth it

So you don't tie up a pot?
FIDO*98*
AG
Better shape for most things
Teslag
AG
I had almost completely forgotten I had a sous vide probe until I opened this thread.
Max Power
AG
I also have an Anova, had it for years, no complaints. As far as a vessel I bought a few commercial rubbermaid containers so I have options. I just took the lid and cut a hole in the corner with a heated box cutter for longer cooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Container-12-Quart-FG631200CLR/dp/B000R8JOUC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
HTownAg98
I use ping pong balls for a "cover." They do a good job of insulating to prevent evaporation, and you just need to top off in the evening and the morning at most. Plus, they will fit any container you want to use for the water bath.
htxag09
AG
Max Power said:

I also have an Anova, had it for years, no complaints. As far as a vessel I bought a few commercial rubbermaid containers so I have options. I just took the lid and cut a hole in the corner with a heated box cutter for longer cooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Container-12-Quart-FG631200CLR/dp/B000R8JOUC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

This is basically what we have, but it's more rectangular. We also bought it at a restaurant depot store so not a brand name.

We got sous vide balls for Christmas one year, they're basically smaller ping pong balls. We only use them when cooking overnight or longer, but they do a great job at preventing evaporation.
Sazerac
AG
The balls caused all sorts of problems for me, but I think I had them AND a lid on. Temps were all over the place.
Gilligan
AG
Do you need the balls or a lid for shorter cooking?
Max Power
AG
If it's a short cook I don't use a cover at all. For shorter cooks there shouldn't be enough evaporation to be of a concern.
Lola68
aluminum foil works well
agcrock2005
AG
FYI, this worked just fine. Didn't even trip a break in my camper so it was a good day. Thanks for the help folks.
austinag1997
AG
Anovo Pro with Anovo container/top. Did I pay more for the container/top? Probably, but it works. I use primarily for steaks, but I need to learn veggies.
Teslag
AG
What are people still using these for? Ever since I discovered reverse sear I havent' used mine in ages.
htxag09
AG
Salute The Marines said:

What are people still using these for? Ever since I discovered reverse sear I havent' used mine in ages.

IMO, sous vide is the same as reverse sear but more flexible. I can put a steak, chicken, pork chops, etc in the Sous vide then go for my run, put the kid down, whatever. Doesn't matter if I come back an hour or two hours later, it's ready to sear.

We also typically buy meat in bulk, portion it out, season, and vacuum seal the bags. For days where we don't have a meal planned or ready to go, we take a bag from the freezer and drop it in the sous vide.

ETA: these are the more "normal", everyday items. Sous vide also does well with slower and longer cooks, like short ribs.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Alcoholic infusions
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.