Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Ranges w/ Griddles

2,847 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're about to do a renovation and will probably put in a 36" range. We're wondering if the 4 burners and griddle configuration is worth the extra money over 6 burners?

For those of you have have the griddle, what do you cook on it? I'm just not really seeing what I could cook on it that I can't cook on a skillet?
The Silverback
AG
For a 36" range you might want to opt for the burners only, particularly if you have some good cast iron pans (can always buy a griddle to go over the burners as well). If you were getting a 48" then I would say to get the griddle for sure, it's great for just about everything. But with a 36" range it limits your cooking space quite a bit
htxag09
AG
Yeah, what we're leaning towards. I mean we have a 30" builder grade stove top now, so a 36" with a griddle would still be a huge improvement in cooking space. But yeah, I think we'd get more use out of 6 burners than a griddle.
DiskoTroop
You won't use it as much as you think. Plus a Cast Iron griddle that covers two burners is like $40. Just buy one of those.
txags92
AG
I agree with the others. I have a large lodge two sided cast iron griddle and it does everything I need a griddle for. I would go for the extra burners instead.
htxag09
AG
Thanks all. On average, the griddle add on seems to be $750-1000. Think I can snag a lodge griddle for that much lol
austinag1997
AG
Can you maybe do something like this? Its a griddle that sits on top of two burners.
htxag09
AG
yeah, most we're looking at have griddle accessories that would do that.
htxag09
AG
Another question, this time about BTU's. We really like the 36" Bosch. I like the looks, I'm comfortable with Bosch's reputation and I especially like the price. But I'm concerned about the BTU's..... One burner is 18k, 4 are 10k, and 1 is 5k. This is better than we have now, but not much of an upgrade. The oven is also only 17k BTU.

For comparisons, we're also looking at a Fisher & Paykal and the BTU on it are 23.5k and 18.5k. Also looking at Thermador but nobody has any until 2022.
FIDO*98*
AG
110% get the griddle. Hell, I'd be tempted to get a 24" griddle and live with 2 burners. Flat tops are awesome and you'll literally never have 6 pans going at the same time. Go check out the "what's cooking on the flat top" thread. I do breakfast, burgers, hibachi, etc on the griddle.

Regarding btu's. 15K is weak and if you want to do things like sear steak and wok cook, it simply won't cut it. I have Induction at my 2nd home and would take it all day over 15K btu gas.
htxag09
AG
Type-o. Max is 18k. I know it's on the low end for these high end ranges, why I asked.

But I'm confused how 15k won't sear a steak. My current range has max 12.5 and I do steak on it at least once a week. Hell because of the placement of our weak and small ass vent a lot of times I'll do the steak on a 9.5k btu burner. Never had an issue with it getting hot enough. Sure, I may have to leave the cast iron skillet on a little longer before searing but it'll still get over 600* easy.

Really more disappoint in the other 4 burners only being 10k than I am the max only being 18k. I mean I'd love for it to be more to boil water faster, wok cooking, etc. But I feel not having the flexibility of at least two higher burners is the bigger drawback, to me at least.
FIDO*98*
AG
Well, we hashed out the steak searing on another thread so I'll leave that alone. If you're happy with your results, keep doing what your doing.

Back to the griddle, the removal griddle will be a PiTA to clean,
store, and won't heat as evenly as a built in. I give mine a squirt of water, hit with a griddle scraper, and a quick wipe with appear towels and it's good as new. For things like pancakes and grilled cheeses it's just a quick wipe with paper towels. Much more convenient that messing with pans. Plus for things like Turkey melts I can have the bread toasting on one end while the meat is at the other. My preferred configuration would be burners on the left and right with the griddle in the center.
austinag1997
AG
htxag09 said:

Type-o. Max is 18k. I know it's on the low end for these high end ranges, why I asked.

But I'm confused how 15k won't sear a steak. My current range has max 12.5 and I do steak on it at least once a week. Hell because of the placement of our weak and small ass vent a lot of times I'll do the steak on a 9.5k btu burner. Never had an issue with it getting hot enough. Sure, I may have to leave the cast iron skillet on a little longer before searing but it'll still get over 600* easy.

Really more disappoint in the other 4 burners only being 10k than I am the max only being 18k. I mean I'd love for it to be more to boil water faster, wok cooking, etc. But I feel not having the flexibility of at least two higher burners is the bigger drawback, to me at least.

That range in my photo has 4 - 14,000 BTU burners. I don't know why you need more than that. I could sear a cow on that thing. Notice the simmer plate to reduce some heat.
FIDO*98*
AG
Same reason I want more horsepower, a larger boat, 30100-round magazines, & big titties. I had a 17K Viking, my 22K Blue Star is better
Objective Aggie
AG
I have a 48.

The griddle is nice but not mandatory. And that also probably depends on what you like to make.

I've used it for the obvious pancake and eggs and bacon and whatnot. It is been handy for buns and sandwiches. It is also nice to reheat cookies.
Dr.Rumack
Reheating cookies? That's awesome.
hillcountryag86
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Well, we hashed out the steak searing on another thread so I'll leave that alone. If you're happy with your results, keep doing what your doing.

Back to the griddle, the removal griddle will be a PiTA to clean,
store, and won't heat as evenly as a built in. I give mine a squirt of water, hit with a griddle scraper, and a quick wipe with appear towels and it's good as new. For things like pancakes and grilled cheeses it's just a quick wipe with paper towels. Much more convenient that messing with pans. Plus for things like Turkey melts I can have the bread toasting on one end while the meat is at the other. My preferred configuration would be burners on the left and right with the griddle in the center.

Fido nails it.

Just ordered 48" Wolf with griddle.
fieldtrailer
AG
My experience is it takes a long time to warm up and is really not worth it. GE Monogram. Just use a skillet over gas burner. Cant beat it. I also have the gas grill and use it daily. Needs a good exh system. 1200 cfm isn't too much.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We have the 48" Wolf. The griddle does take a while to heat up which is why I will often use a pan. When we put a griddle on the patio I stopped using the Wolf. I've started using it again recently however. If I think about it ahead of time I'll turn it on in advance.

Once it has a nice season it is very easy to clean as Fido previously stated. The only issue I've found is that when it heats the old grease/cleaning liquid that was trapped b/w the edge of the griddle and the 3 walls around it begins to seep out. No biggie - I just get a paper towel and hit it w/a spatcula, trying to get the paper into the crevice (you can't but it helps to try).

I haven't done a burger nor bacon since I started using it again. Initially that was the primary thing I cooked on it, which is hella messy. Now that it has a decent season I could probably put the beef directly on the surface and not start with avacado or veggie oil - that would cut back on the mess.

The mess was the frustrating part. I'd spent 5x as long cleaning as I did cooking.

It's awesome for paperthin eggs to make an omelet.
htxag09
AG
fieldtrailer said:

My experience is it takes a long time to warm up and is really not worth it. GE Monogram. Just use a skillet over gas burner. Cant beat it. I also have the gas grill and use it daily. Needs a good exh system. 1200 cfm isn't too much.
Yeah, we upgraded the vent insert. Our contractor was pretty against it, said the larger range hood would look a little weird and out of place, being the better inserts are 19+" deep vs. the cheap builder grade ones which are like 14.

The size definitely takes some getting used to. But I'm tired of a cheap ass vent hood that doesn't do anything. We cook every day and a lot of things like steaks on the skillet, so I wanted something with good capacity and that covered the whole range top vs. just the back burners.
gwellis
AG
htxag09 said:

fieldtrailer said:

Yeah, we upgraded the vent insert. Our contractor was pretty against it, said the larger range hood would look a little weird and out of place, being the better inserts are 19+" deep vs. the cheap builder grade ones which are like 14.

The size definitely takes some getting used to. But I'm tired of a cheap ass vent hood that doesn't do anything. We cook every day and a lot of things like steaks on the skillet, so I wanted something with good capacity and that covered the whole range top vs. just the back burners.
We have installed the Fisher and Paykals is a few homes and the clients live them. For what it's worth.
Gil '91
03_Aggie
For what it's worth, we have a 24" built in that we used quite a bit until I purchased a 36" blackstone. Now the built in rarely gets used as the blackstone creates less of a mess and is a bit easier to clean up.

Certainly nice to have both but if you have an outdoor area that can house something like a blackstone then you may find it cheaper and you get your burners inside.
jtp01
AG
Our previous home had one. My biggest issue with it was cleaning up afterwards. I preferred a cast iron griddle over the built in one.
htxag09
AG
Back to the original post, we went with the 36" Bosch as my wife got a crazy discount through her work, like $1500 off. Supposed to be delivered next week but we called to check, two more months. So cancelled and went with our top choice, taking out price, fisher & paykal. Still just 6 burners, though, no griddle. Well top choice was thermador but we aren't waiting until February.

With all these luxury ranges, does nobody use a timer anymore?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.