Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

58,949 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by bbqAg09
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Lloyd's Pan makes so much damn pizza for two people! Fortunately it reheats really well. I wished I'd paid the extra $1 for the smaller size pan

My 2nd detroit a few months ago was much better than the first. No burning this time. I also added more yeast than the Kenji recipe I used and I liked it better.

Last night we made pizza in the oven using a Mario Batalli pan we bought years ago. Cast iron cooking surface with an enamel base. Fantastic pans. We have a couple of them and I'm glad because once he went rapey his cookware line went away. Heat the pan in the oven to 500. I made the dough on Saturday to let it ferment in the fridge overnight. Two more batches I'll let sit a couple of more days before. wrapping in seran wrap and freezing in a freezer bag. Pizza was very good, perfect texture on the crust. I forgot to get a side shot. Could have used a little more cheese but it was still demolished. The bubble was where I patched a hole

Not pizza but found this as well - a lasagana I made a few months ago. Not fans of ricotta so omitted it but next time I might make a bechamel or maybe herb some cream cheese as a layer. Beef and italian sausage, home made sauce with hand crushed san marzanos. It was great.

Take the trash out staff.
Buzzy

Mother's Day pepperoni
Wild West Pimp Style
B-1 83
AG
After experiencing genuine Chicago deep dish recently, my culinary curiosity is now focused….

Will a well seasoned cast iron skillet work for this delicacy? I'm too lazy and currently half drunk to look back through the thread.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Buzzy
Better to use a pie plate
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Wild West Pimp Style
aggietony2010
AG
I've done Chicago deep dish in cast iron. Worked well.
fav13andac1)c
AG
That flake looks real nice
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
What's the board consensus on a pizza oven brand for people that entertain a lot and or do diy pizza parties?

I'm guessing Ooni will be one...if so which one? Any other options? We are probably not the type to make our own pizza dough though and would probably just buy it ready made.
B-1 83
AG
My first Chicago attempt……..my crust should have been rolled out thicker, but it was still a tasty pizza, Sausage, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and pepperoni.

Buzzy
In Chicago style, you normally put cheese as the bottom layer, toppings as the middle layer, and then sauce as the top layer.

Since you're using a skillet, I'd recommend making a thinner crust (as opposed to a thicker one which will require more time to bake and therefore lead to burning your toppings) and parbaking it. You then take it out of the oven, put in the cheese, toppings, and sauce, then put it back in. This cuts down on baking time so there is less chance you'll burn your toppings while ensuring the crust is fully done.

The top of your pizza looks burnt in places, which means you probably followed a recipe instead of watching it closely. The issue with following recipes is if it is your first time, you're nervous about the crust being baked all the way through, and you end up burning your toppings because you're adhering to the recipe. That recipe wasn't made in your kitchen with your oven, so you need to do some experimenting.

In your case, I'd make dough balls for three pizzas. Put one in for half the recommended time to parbake it, take it out for 30 seconds to 1 minute to simulate time to put toppings on, then put it back in for the rest of the recommended time. Take it out, let it cool a little, slice and look at the crumb. Is the dough fully done? It is too done? Is it a dry cracker? If it is too done, you know the timing is too long for your oven. Take second ball, put it in for parbake period, take it out for a minute, then put it back in for 1/3 of the recommended cooking time. If recommended baking time is 45 minutes, put it on for only 15. Take it out, slice, look at crumb. Is it done? Does it still need some more time? Between your first and second test dough balls, you'll figure out how much time you need for your oven.

It only takes ~10 minutes for sauce to bake and cheese to melt on a pizza, depending on the oven temp, so that will give you an idea of how long you need to parbake your crust and when you need to take it out to top it.

Wild West Pimp Style
B-1 83
AG
The mozzarella was on bottom. What semi-burned was fresh grated Parmesan on top. It was slightly over cooked, and you're right on using the timer for fear of burning.
Buzzy

First attempt at a crust using semolina flour. I'm a fan.
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy
Typo 00 flour, basic pepperoni

Wild West Pimp Style
agcrock2005
AG
Man I miss the days before my 4 year old was diagnosed with celiac...I loved making my own pizza dough. Haven't found a good GF recipe yet.
slaughtr
AG
Brand new addition to my outdoor kitchen.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I've been thinking about getting a border collie, also
Buzzy

Pepperoni rolls made using 00 flour. Made dough this morning, cold fermented for 12 hours, very happy with how they turned out.
Wild West Pimp Style
agcrock2005
AG
Glad you like them but are you sure that's "pimp style"?
bbqAg09
AG
Where did you get it?
slaughtr
AG
hopheadAg09 said:

Where did you get it?

I bought mine in a local shop (Idaho), but you can buy it online here:
https://us.gozney.com/products/dome
fav13andac1)c
AG
slaughtr said:

hopheadAg09 said:

Where did you get it?

Man, that is so cool. Looks like you can do almost anything on it, not just pizzas. Also, am I right that you can use gas, charcoal, and sticks interchangeably? Finally, care to share some recipes/cooks you've done on it so far?
slaughtr
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

slaughtr said:

hopheadAg09 said:

Where did you get it?

Man, that is so cool. Looks like you can do almost anything on it, not just pizzas. Also, am I right that you can use gas, charcoal, and sticks interchangeably? Finally, care to share some recipes/cooks you've done on it so far?
Made by the same people as Roccbox. Really good company. You can buy dual fuel in either propane/wood or natural gas/wood. I've had it one week. I did steaks in a cast iron skillet with wood and a pizza party with gas (just to make it easier). They also have an excellent youtube channel for recipes.
https://www.youtube.com/c/gozney
Buzzy
agcrock2005 said:

Glad you like them but are you sure that's "pimp style"?

Every.day.

Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy
https://instagr.am/p/CiMg_JYO4r2

Pepperoni and peppers
Wild West Pimp Style
agcrock2005
AG
This ought to be good.

Buzzy
agcrock2005 said:

This ought to be good.

Is it bad that I know the stock image is Franco Pepe's desconstructed Margherita?

The man single-handedly revitalized the town of Caiazzo with his high-end pizzeria.
Wild West Pimp Style
Cowboy Curtis
AG
1) cheese on bottom with sauce on top
2) hot honey pepperoni
3) buffalo mozz marg

FIDO*98*
AG
Wife got me the 12" pellet Ooni. Gave it a shot, but already sent it back. Gravity fed pellets smothered the fire so didn't get near hot enough. Sent it back and have a 16" dual fuel on the way. Have to admit it's more fun than cooking them on the BGE. My overall pizza game need some work, but the 2 day biga dough was solid

Cowboy Curtis
AG
First time making dough with poolish. I highly recommend this method. Crust was airy with crunch.

Poolish dough method:

Buzzy
Grandma-style pepperoni

https://instagr.am/p/CkAS0BXsytP
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy
Pepperoni pizza for Thanksgiving NFL viewing before the big meal:

https://instagr.am/p/ClX6kXkuupP
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy
Sausage and peppers stromboli

https://instagr.am/p/ClTVyQwuKyO
Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG
Been a while since I made some pizza. I may need to fire up the oven!
Buzzy
https://instagr.am/p/Cl0dyKAuHQk
Wild West Pimp Style

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.