Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

58,981 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bbqAg09
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Wife gave me a Pampered Chef pizza stone a short time ago that I haven't had the huevos to really try out, yet. Reading this thread has gotten me to give it a go. Looks like LOTS of stuff can go wrong, but I'm seasoning the stone now - I've learned my lessons, I hope, with my cast iron pan debacle.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Buzzy
Is the trial run for 20 people?
Wild West Pimp Style
ChipFTAC01
AG
Trials for probably 8 toniggt
Buzzy
Aight. I'd use type 00 flour if you have access to it, all purpose if you don't. Bread flour also works.

For a personal pizza via a wood burning pizza oven, Id estimate two cups of flour per person, so 16 total. There are 20 cups in a 5 lb bag for reference. So make sure you have enough for 16 cups.

I can mix 6 cups of flour at a time in my mixer, so you can do this in three batches if you have a Kitchenaid stand mixer.

6 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon active dry yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 cups of water. Combine all in bowl and mix for 9 minutes. You will have a nice silky dough ball. Take dough ball, top with a teaspoon of olive oil to keep it hydrated, and then set aside to rise.

Repeat this process twice more.

Allow all dough to rise for two hours or however long it takes to double in size.

Once they've risen, punch down, and cut each dough ball into three portions. You should end up with 9 dough balls, cover 8 in a tray with a towel. This enough for your 8 guests.

Once you're read to put pizza together hand shape one at a time, or use a rolling pin. Each pizza should be bigger than a small pizza but smaller than a medium.

Take pics and let us know how it turns out.

Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

How did it go?
Wild West Pimp Style
FIDO*98*
AG
I haven't done Sicilian style before, but young fidos had some friends over last night so decided to give it a go. Great change of pace and turned out awesome especially considering how easy it was

B-1 83
AG
My first attempt was pretty tasty. No pictures because I would embarrass my self after looking at the pretty, round pies in the thread. My biggest problem was getting the pizza from the prep board to the pizza stone. Do people use a handful of cornmeal to make that raw dough "slide" off?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Glad it turned out well! I personally use a mix of semolina and flour. Never been a fan of corn meal personally.

Don't let the dough sit on the peel longer than it takes to top your pizza, and always give it a little wiggle to ensure it's not stuck before launching. It should slide on the peel with little to no sticking. If it is stuck, put a little more underneath, then ensure it's not stuck again
The Milkman
AG
Have my wife an Ooni for Christmas. Looking forward to following the thread now that we can be whipping up pizzas
B-1 83
AG
Thank you! I used a very simplistic dough recipe, and it worked well. Froze down 1/2 as per the site instructions. My new stone worked well, although some spillage occurred during raw transfer. I washed it off with pan water, and I'm reheating it to finish "cleaning" followed by another coat of grape seed oil and heating.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Buzzy said:

How did it go?

It was a bit of a **** show of a day on Friday. I needed to run to the store for some yeast but was fighting fires at work until 530. So I grumpily decided I'd just make my dad's recipe. SIL had also bought a couple of yeastier balls at Whole Foods.

She also didn't have any tomorrow sauce so so the kids got a Mariana and cheese pizza on the premade dough. It was pretty good.

I made a pesto, chicken and mushroom on my dough. It was one of the best pizzas I've ever made. Drizzled some truffle oil in it.

Only pic I got. There were multiple toddler dramas going on during the process.

Might try again on some other doughs this week.
Buzzy

Are you 'seasoning' your stone?
Buzzy

I'm still trying to figure out your father's recipe. With just salt, flour, oil, water, it is unleavened dough, there is nothing to make it rise. Isn't that like eating unleavened bread?

Next time you can't make it to the store to buy yeast, just mix 2 teaspoons of baking powder for every cup of flour you use in your dough (so a medium pizza with 3 cups of flour would require 6 tsp baking powder), you're making self-rising flour. Mix it with some beer or even Sprite/7-Up, you have a beer pizza dough to use immediately. It will rise as it is baked in the oven, even in a pizza oven like the one you have.

javajaws
AG
First pizza I've made in over a year!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
The Milkman
AG
B-1 83 said:

My first attempt was pretty tasty. No pictures because I would embarrass my self after looking at the pretty, round pies in the thread. My biggest problem was getting the pizza from the prep board to the pizza stone. Do people use a handful of cornmeal to make that raw dough "slide" off?
I struggled with this as well. Interested to see yalls advice
Buzzy
The Milkman said:

B-1 83 said:

I struggled with this as well. Interested to see yalls advice

A handful of corn meal or flour the peel well and kinda shift it around while topping it to ensure it doesn't stick. The problem with it sticking usually happens because it sticks while you're topping it, so just make sure it doesn't stick while topping it.

Granted, I don't use a stone, so my advice is worth what you paid for it.
javajaws
AG
I use cornmeal. You also need to be fast. Have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go. When I'm ready to put it in the oven I first give it a test wiggle to loosen it from the board. Then when I put it in the oven I give it a another jiggle to get the edge of the dough off the board then gracefully pull out from underneath it in one continuous movement.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Buzzy
javajaws said:

I use cornmeal. You also need to be fast. Have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go. When I'm ready to put it in the oven I first give it a test wiggle to loosen it from the board. Then when I put it in the oven I give it a another jiggle to get the edge of the dough off the board then gracefully pull out from underneath it in one continuous movement.
You verbalized this in a much clearer way than I could, I keep thinking if you jiggle it a little at each step of the process of topping it, it should slide off easily.
FIDO*98*
AG
Made another plant based addition to this thread over the weekend. Roasted broccoli, roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, caramelized onion, giardiniera, chopped olives & vegan mozz. Turned out awesome. This would make a killer app to bring to a party especially if you made it with real mozz.

Buzzy

I was with you until the vegan mozz and olives, not a fan of either.

That crust is awfully thin, I'm impressed it didn't break through.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Keep the olives, better with no cheese rather than vegan mozz.
Buzzy

Dinner tonight
MrPlow2010
AG
I bought a Blackstone Pizza oven yesterday and I cant wait to get started cooking pizzas. I'm going to have to go back and try some of the recipes posted here. I cooked a couple of those HEB fresh pizzas yesterday to try it out and they turned out fantastic. I've never made my own dough and sauce but I cant wait to try.
Buzzy

Pepperoni, sweet sausage, peppers, onions
Wild West Pimp Style
FIDO*98*
AG
Decide to go all in on a Detroit Style pizza. Got the pan, brick cheese, and Vermont pepperoni from Amazon. Turned out pretty fantastic
RyanFromTexas
Where did you get that pan?
FIDO*98*
AG
I bought this LloydsPans because I couldn't find a 10x14 steel pan. Then when I went to get the link for you this one pops up in my search results. I'd been looking for a deep Lasagna pan that's smaller than my current one and this fits the bill nicely for that as well.
FIDO*98*
AG
Cheesesteak Stromboli night, Take 2

Buzzy

Unless I'm missing something, that is a calzone.

If it is cheesesteak, where are the peppers and onions?
Wild West Pimp Style
FIDO*98*
AG
Quote:

For some reason, when out-of-towners create variations on the classic Philly sandwich, they always add bell peppers.

Which, as just about any true Philadelphian will tell you, is not canon. A cheesesteak is meat, cheese, bread and sometimes onions and that's it.

Also, A Calzone is folded and has Ricotta, a Stromboli is rolled….see above

And mine does have onion. Maybe just not apparent in the pics

Buzzy
FIDO*98* said:

Quote:

For some reason, when out-of-towners create variations on the classic Philly sandwich, they always add bell peppers.

Which, as just about any true Philadelphian will tell you, is not canon. A cheesesteak is meat, cheese, bread and sometimes onions and that's it.

Also, A Calzone is folded and has Ricotta, a Stromboli is rolled….see above

And mine does have onion. Maybe just not apparent in the pics

I'm not dogmatic about authenticity, but a quick look at wikipedia says the original Cheesesteak was meat and onions on a hoagie roll. I guess I've always added peppers because I like peppers and onions. I'm kinda shocked because the original didn't include cheese and how is it a cheesesteak with no cheese, but that was the standard.

Stromboli are characterized by their jelly roll appearance because you roll the filling and dough into a cylinder.

You can see the dough separate the filling in the roll.

I've made hundreds of calzones at this point, never used ricotta cheese because I prefer mozzarella.
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

Made dough this morning and this is lunch. Didn't open up the way I wanted but that might be due to weather in the kitchen this morning.

We'll see how the next batch goes with a cold ferment.
Wild West Pimp Style
fav13andac1)c
AG
Lookin good! Love a ton of pepperoni
Buzzy

Pepperoni and jalapenos
Wild West Pimp Style
Farmer1906
AG
Starting to get a little consistently with my pizzas now. They were very hit or miss a couple of months ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.