Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************PIZZA THREAD******************

58,970 Views | 324 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bbqAg09
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have you ever had sfincione? It is interesting what we consider 'Sicilian-style' in America and what it actually is in Sicily.
mic suede
Interesting.
I was trying to comment more on the lack of it being Detroit style than anything specific to Sicily or Sicillian style. Sauce under cheese not Detroit style.
MichaelJ
AG
Isn't Detroit style really more of the French bread style pizza
schmendeler
AG
The most common example of Detroit style is the pan pan at Little Caesars. It's not like French bread pizza at all.
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
The ags opening day calls for pizza. This time I experimented with biga. Can't say it's much better than a standard two day ferment, but it's my first so there's probably (definitely) room for improvement. However, it sure does look pretty if I may say so myself.

Gabster43213
I really miss Joe's Pizza, 14th and Carmine in NYC.
Buzzy

How long did you let the biga go?

I get the best results after 12-24 hours.

What kind of flour were you using? Not that it makes a difference with biga, I'm just curious.

Nice leoparding on the corniche.
TechnoAg
AG
Any recommendations for quick rise or same day dough recipes? Overnight in the fridge always kills my immediate gratification need for pizza.
Buzzy

Try beer pizza dough?

Use self-rising flour (or make some yourself by combining two teaspoons baking powder with one cup of all-purpose flour for every cup of flour needed), mix with beer, roll into a dough ball, hand shape, top, and toss it into the oven.

Congrats, you've made your own non-frozen DiGiorno pizza from scratch
HTownAg98
TechnoAg said:

Any recommendations for quick rise or same day dough recipes? Overnight in the fridge always kills my immediate gratification need for pizza.

Find a pizza place near you that you like and buy dough balls from them.
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
Thank you sir! I used King Arthur bread flour, let it go for about 18 hours. I found it difficult to incorporate the biga into the rest of the dough. I probably wasn't patient enough.
Buzzy
notjakefromstatefarm said:

Thank you sir! I used King Arthur bread flour, let it go for about 18 hours. I found it difficult to incorporate the biga into the rest of the dough. I probably wasn't patient enough.
I use 1 cup of flour, 1 half-tablespoon of yeast, 2/3 cup of water. You want your biga to be heavily hydrated, if it is a little soupy, that is okay.

I usually put it in with 3-5 cups if flour and 1 more cup of water, found that works best to incorporate it in the mixer.
TechnoAg
AG

I ended up using Mark Bittmans Basic Dough recipe and it wasn't too bad. Definitely not as good as OP's dough recipe which I used last time. This one was a little more difficult to work with. I made the dough in the morning and it spent a few hours in the fridge before resting on the counter to come back up to room temperature and going in the oven.

Brussel sprouts, capers, and prosciutto.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Jet's Pizza has fantastic Detroit style as well.
Buzzy

Pepperoni pizza for dinner tonight. Not a huge rise on the corniche, but I'm happy with the overall product
Buzzy

Garrelli 5000
AG
My Lloyd Pan for Detroit pizza arrived today. Can't use until next week though. I have a block Wisconsin brick in the fridge. Just need some pepperoni to slice if dough recs don't require something I don't already have in stock.

Any recs for a preferred dough? I have both ap and bread flower currently. Pretty sure my yeast is the packet "active dry".

Should have paid $1 more on Amazon for the smaller pan. I'll make it up in ingredient costs and food waste after 2 cooks
Garrelli 5000
AG
1st Detroit last night. Burned the crust. I used Kenji's recipe. Not sure if I left it in too long or I need to dial back the temp (550, pan on bottom rack).

The interior of the crust was great but the blackened outter made it bitter.

schmendeler
AG
It might not have saved the crust, but the top looks like it could have been pulled a few minutes earlier and still been done.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Yeah - said to cook 12 - 15 minutes. When I checked at 11 in hindsight the crust was probably done - it about 2 minutes later I opened and it was smoking/I could smell it burning.
OaklandAg06
AG
I have found, at least in my oven, that sicillian style/detroit style like that cooks best at around 475. It might take a few minutes longer but that seems to be where the toppings and the crust get done about the same time.
Buzzy
Garrelli 5000 said:

Yeah - said to cook 12 - 15 minutes. When I checked at 11 in hindsight the crust was probably done - it about 2 minutes later I opened and it was smoking/I could smell it burning.
Whenever doing a first-time cook, set the timer for the lower end, pull it, look, if it needs one more minute, give it another minute. It is a pita to pull it three possible times and check, but better to go through that and learn your oven and the recipe than to burn the crust on your first try.
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy

NY-style pepperoni pizza

Very happy with how the crust turned out.
MichaelJ
AG
First ever homemade crust - I made this crust a couple months ago and defrosted a portion tonight. I used a michael symon recipe

Buzzy

Hot sausage, peppers, and onions
Wild West Pimp Style
Buzzy
How did it taste?
Wild West Pimp Style
MichaelJ
AG
Buzzy said:

How did it taste?

It was really good - though I didn't get much rise out of the crust
fav13andac1)c
AG

Pretty good-looking pepperoni pie tonight
Buzzy

Some people don't like them, but I love it when the dough bubbles in the cornicione.
Wild West Pimp Style
FIDO*98*
AG
Vegan Pizza

Whole wheat dough, fido pizza sauce, Follow Your Heart vegan mozz, oregano dusted baked tofu, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, caramilized onion.

Sorry to ruin your Pizza thread

Buzzy

Not really a fan of wheat doughs, but I'm sure there are people out there who like them.

How did it taste?

Crumb shot?
Wild West Pimp Style
FIDO*98*
AG
I enjoyed it for what it is. The tofu didn't really work for me on the pizza although I enjoy it this way on salads where I normally eat it. This was the best brand of vegan mozz I've used so whether vegan or lactose challenged it makes a great alternative to dairy.
MichaelJ
AG
MichaelJ said:

First ever homemade crust - I made this crust a couple months ago and defrosted a portion tonight. I used a michael symon recipe

Still had toppings so I defrosted my last chunk of dough and made another pie last night - this time the wife rolled the dough out for me and it looked much better - I should say - this dough is made for a grill recipe but I did in oven - and o just don't think the heat is there to get some of the good rise

Chipotlemonger
AG
I understand vegan pizza, but tofu for me on a slice of pizza is a nonstarter.
Buzzy
What is the dough recipe?
Wild West Pimp Style

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.