Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Thermapen MK4

3,188 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FIDO*98*
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just a heads up, Thermoworks is discontinuing the MK4. Looks like they'll be releasing the replacement soon.

But all MK4's are $30 off, so $69.

Thermoworks Thermapen MK4
sanitariex
AG
Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one.
Positive Yardage
AG
Do we know how much 'better' the replacement will be?
htxag09
AG
I didn't see anything. Not sure how much better it gets as the thermapen is the industry leader, IMO. But I assume it'll also be more expensive, which made it a no brainer for me to pick up my second.
Ornlu
AG
htxag09 said:

But all MK4's are $30 off, so $69.
Nice!
La Fours
AG
I think they are just discontinuing certain colors.
htxag09
AG
That was the original email. Sent one out saying theyre discontinuing the line completely.

La Fours
AG
Lol, I got that email. I guess I should have read the entire thing instead of stopping after the first sentence or two.
bam02
AG
How can the thermapen be THAT much better than the $15 dollar instant-read pens on amazon? I am not disputing it since it seems to be a clear consensus. I'm just not sure what I'm missing with my cheap one. It's pretty dang instant. Never tested to see how accurate it is but it seems to be right on.
62strat
AG
bam02 said:

How can the thermapen be THAT much better than the $15 dollar instant-read pens on amazon? I am not disputing it since it seems to be a clear consensus. I'm just not sure what I'm missing with my cheap one. It's pretty dang instant. Never tested to see how accurate it is but it seems to be right on.
where is yours made, ? And how long will it last.

I've had $15 pens, and they don't last long, and don't have as many features of the mk4. (Quick auto on/off, auto rotate, light, etc)

I've read plenty of people online with thermapens going on 10 years.
FIDO*98*
AG
bam02 said:

I'm just not sure what I'm missing with my cheap one. It's pretty dang instant. Never tested to see how accurate it is but it seems to be right on.

Take a glass of ice water and put a small pot on to boil and go cold, hot, cold and repeat backwards. If you get the results you expect, keep doing what you're doing. If not, click the link above.
bam02
AG
I use mine for meat.
62strat
AG
bam02 said:

I use mine for meat.
then how do you know it's accurate? Your tongue have perfect sense of temperature?

There are few temps in life we know to be exact and Fido helped you out with those.
L8HIT
AG
Haven't used mine in years but love my Thermapop.
FIDO*98*
AG
bam02 is a good dude in person. He's just a cheap bastage
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Is it actually instant read? My "instant reads" take a minute plus to get up to temperature from room temperature.
La Fours
AG
Yes. As soon as you open it, it is ready.
agfan2013
AG
Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo

Instant read just like the MK4, $55 all day every day, and sometimes you can catch them on sale for $35-40.

Left mine out in the rain one time after bbqing and it still works.

https://www.lavatools.co/products/javelin-pro-d
bam02
AG
FIDO*98* said:

bam02 is a good dude in person. He's just a cheap bastage

Ha ha thanks Fido. But you are right... so I got the Javelin Pro Duo on sale.

Now I'll be able to tell if my boiling water is really hot and my ice water is really cold!
MrPlow2010
AG
I have a ThermoPop and I have been using it for years. Its a cheaper option than the $70 ones and it comes to temp super quick.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Is it actually instant read? My "instant reads" take a minute plus to get up to temperature from room temperature.
Yes, pretty instant. It does what it claims and lives up to the hype.
Jack Thauer
AG
Bought a second MK4 thanks to this thread. They just announced the Thermapen One (one second read). For $35 difference, I'll wait the extra second.
Diggity
AG
You using a mercury thermometer?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Diggity said:

You using a mercury thermometer?
Hah, I use this one for grilling, but usually don't put it in until I've flipped whatever I'm grilling. It takes forever to get up to temperature.
FIDO*98*
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Just pre-ordered a Thermapen One. Lost my MK4 at the NBLL Pork Chop Wurstfest make-up event and have been needing a replacement.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.