Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Breaking in my baratza encore grinder

1,197 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mrmill3218
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got another baratza encore for my office so I could make good coffee for myself and a few coworkers. I have an encore at home and have had a great experience with it. However, my new grinder at the office if producing some funky tasting coffee. I do the exact same thing I do at home in a chemex of a v60 but it doesn't taste the same.

I have heard that grinders take some time to "break in". Have y'all found this to be the case? Apparently James Hoffmann says that it takes anywhere from 5-50 pounds of beans to go through the grinder. I'm feeling a bit foolish after touting how good this coffee was going to taste. What has your experience been?
chilidogfood
AG
I've never heard of this, but is it possible there is still some left over oil from the manufacturing process left on the burrs?

You could try taking it apart and cleaning the grinder with dawn and water, if you suspect that could be the case.

If that's too much work, you can try your 'break in' method with a crap load of cheap beans from costco.
mrmill3218
AG
chilidogfood said:

I've never heard of this, but is it possible there is still some left over oil from the manufacturing process left on the burrs?

You could try taking it apart and cleaning the grinder with dawn and water, if you suspect that could be the case.

If that's too much work, you can try your 'break in' method with a crap load of cheap beans from costco.
Doing more research, it's apparently because the burrs are too sharp and need to be dulled a bit for more conformity and consistency. I've been running some beans through it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.