Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best Digital Meat Thermometer

2,438 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Diggity
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(I know I'm setting myself up with this one but here goes....)
Anyone have any personal experience and suggestions on which is the best digital meat thermometer?

Thanks
bbry81
Therma pen from thermo works
Van Buren Boy
AG
bbry81 said:

Eot
I Am A Critic
Meater. EOT.
Scotts Tot
AG
I have a Dash from Thermoworks. It is quite a bit cheaper than the thermapen but is still lab calibrated and well made.
hbc07
AG
Are you wanting instant read, or longer term temp monitoring?
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
bigtruckguy3500
Thermopop is pretty good, and cheaper than a thermapen. The lavatools javelin pro duo is a cheap ripoff of a thermapen, it looks nice but I'd prefer the speed of the thermopop over the javelin. To be fair, the javelin is still good though.
ftworthag02
AG
Thermapen. There was a 20% off sale last October so the entire family got one for Christmas
DiskoTroop
bbry81 said:

Eot
Hwy30East
I have the Thermopop and it's been great! I would like to have the Thermapen, but haven't felt the need to spend the extra money yet.

If I were in your shoes, then I would definitely buy the Thermapen.
Gilligan
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Meater. EOT.

I heard / read that the Meater doesn't handle a hot fire very well / long. Have any problems with yours?
RC_57
AG
Based on the overwhelming TexAgs endorsements and the reviews I've read on-line, Thermapen it is.

Thanks all
Gilligan
AG
hbc07 said:

I don't think that's been established. Most replies seem to be centered around an instant read thermometer.

I would like to see some feedback on longer temp monitoring with Bluetooth capability / range etc

There was one reply for the Meater which looks cool, but I've heard it has limitations on heat and is prone to be ruined. Should we start a new thread?
RK
AG
Big fan of FireBoard for long term temp/control
aggietony2010
AG
Same. My fire board has been rock solid.
investorAg83
AG
Gilligan said:

hbc07 said:

I don't think that's been established. Most replies seem to be centered around an instant read thermometer.

I would like to see some feedback on longer temp monitoring with Bluetooth capability / range etc

There was one reply for the Meater which looks cool, but I've heard it has limitations on heat and is prone to be ruined. Should we start a new thread?

I've had zero issues with my meater...BIL's still working perfectly as well. I like it a lot. I still have a cheap instant read for quick answers but for long term monitoring, I love the meater.
hbc07
AG
Gilligan said:

hbc07 said:

I've got one of the original meater blocks. I like it fairly well. The estimate for time remaining on a cook can be a bit wonky from time to time, and the range from the probe to the block is fairly limited when in an enclosed environment (which unfortunately is almost always how it's used... grill, smoker, oven, etc). That being said, I've found it to be fairly reliable and useful. I would only go for the block if you're cooking for people who want things at wildly different temps, or if you're cooking for a party and want to be able to keep tabs on a percentage of the items being cooked. The single probe should be more than enough for regular cooking for yourself.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
MarcAg
AG
RK said:

Big fan of FireBoard for long term temp/control

I have a FireBoard 2 and am very happy with it.
Diggity
AG
I've used this guy for years and have no complaints.

If you plan on leaving the house or tracking temp curves and crap like that, there are more expensive solutions, but this guy is solid.

Depending on how far away you plan on traveling from the grill, they have other versions.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.