Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Brisket Advice?

9,389 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Agasaurus Tex
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
evan_aggie said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I was at Sam's today and choice whole brisket was 4.76/pound. Just the flat was 7.44/pound.

That's insane. What area?

Missouri. Beef is insane outside of Texas, which is why I get most of it shipped. I bought a 2 pound flank steak that was 25 dollars. If I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for beef, I might as well pay to have high quality meat delivered.
thisguy05
AG
No matter the cooking method, holding for a couple of hours in a cooler will help with texture.

My best flats have come when I wrap just the flat in foil after a few hours of smoke.

You might also try a bigger brisket. Too big will extend cooking time dramatically, but something in the 15 lb range might help.
texagco2003
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

evan_aggie said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I was at Sam's today and choice whole brisket was 4.76/pound. Just the flat was 7.44/pound.

Missouri. Beef is insane outside of Texas, which is why I get most of it shipped. I bought a 2 pound flank steak that was 25 dollars. If I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for beef, I might as well pay to have high quality meat delivered.

Who have you found to be the best vendor to have it shipped from? I'm in central GA and it's really hard to find good beef selection here, especially brisket.
schmellba99
AG
TEMP IS ONLY A GUIDE!!!!

Never cook to some arbitrary set temp. Use a set temp to start probihg, I usually start this process around 195-96. A brisket is done when it is done, regardleas of temp.

Not a fan of foil, softens the bark and gives it too much of a roast beef flavor and co sistency. Pink butcher paper only.

Let.It.Rest. Minimum of an hour, 2-3 is better, 4-5 is ideal.
SamHou
schmellba99 said:

TEMP IS ONLY A GUIDE!!!!

Never cook to some arbitrary set temp. Use a set temp to start probihg, I usually start this process around 195-96. A brisket is done when it is done, regardleas of temp.

Not a fan of foil, softens the bark and gives it too much of a roast beef flavor and co sistency. Pink butcher paper only.

Let.It.Rest. Minimum of an hour, 2-3 is better, 4-5 is ideal.

Please excuse my ignorance - how do you tell it is done if not by internal temp (210)? Thanks in advance.
evan_aggie
AG
It gets floppy and/or a probe goes in like butter vs having to push it with any force.
Bruce Almighty
AG
texagco2003 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

evan_aggie said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Who have you found to be the best vendor to have it shipped from? I'm in central GA and it's really hard to find good beef selection here, especially brisket.

Snake River Farms
Allen Bros
Crowd Cow
Cassius
One thing you are doing wrong is pulling based on a fixed temperature. Never do that.

Put your stationary monitoring probe in the flat, midway. When it hits 190, pull the probe and start sticking the flat every half hour in the center going with the grain using your small temp guage. Once it glides in easily, pull the brisket, temperature notwithstanding. I've pulled them as low as 190 because they were done. It's done when the connective tissue has been dissolved, not when it reaches a specific temperature.

Then rest it for several hours in a cooler.
NColoradoAG
12 hours in and flat is around 180. Like the bark so time to wrap.
evan_aggie
AG
I always tried to avoid probing more than I had to bc each poke I'd see juices start pouring out.

But I'll monitor more closely next time.
HTownAg98
When you probe a brisket, it's not like you're poking a balloon; it's more like your poking bubble wrap. Probe away, you won't hurt it . (That's what she said.)
fav13andac1)c
AG
Great advice all around on this thread, and it led to my first successful brisket cook! 350-375 on my kamado. Fat side DOWN. Salt, pepper, and celery seed (great tip). Was done and resting at 4-4.5 hours. If you can't tell by the gif, I was pretty excited about how it turned out. Who has time for 14 hour cooks?

Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm getting an ad for Wagyu brisket at the bottom of this page.
schmendeler
AG
Very nice.
CrawfordAg
AG
I generally do MC holy cow and holy gospel for rub and keep it 250-270 on the offset. I wrap in paper and take it until probe tender 198-208 depending on the brisket. I used to just wrap in towels and throw it in a yeti cooler until ready. Game changer for me is when I take it off I unwrap it on a chopping block and wait until the IT comes back down to 185. From there I wrap in new paper tightly and hold in the oven on warm which fluctuates from 140-155. I can hold there for as long as needed and it turns out great the past 3 briskets. I think I have thrown them in the yeti in the past and ended up steaming them by not letting the it to stop rising.*queue yeti jokes

CrawfordAg
AG

AlaskanAg99
AG
I spy a table assassin waiting on you to drop your brisket guard!
aTm '99
CrawfordAg
AG
It's one of these 3 ladies

NColoradoAG
CrawfordAg said:

It's one of these 3 ladies

There is a special expression my dog reserves for when the brisket is out. He waits all day having to smell it and as soon as that sucker is out he's by my side with the "brisket eyes"
fav13andac1)c
AG
Resurrecting this thread as I got a Prime grade brisket from Costco for $3.99/lb. Cooking it hot and fast on Thursday.

RyanFromTexas
fav13andac1)c said:

Resurrecting this thread as I got a Prime grade brisket from Costco for $3.99/lb. Cooking it hot and fast on Thursday.

How'd it turn out?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Edible. Not great, but part of the learning process.
Lonestar-aught-six
I do my brisket on a 4-5 hour pecan and oak smoke. Then wrap with Italian dress and bbq sauce for 4 hours with a little time at the end to get some bark back. I've been told it's pretty good.
superunknown
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

I do my brisket on a 4-5 hour pecan and oak smoke. Then wrap with Italian dress and bbq sauce for 4 hours with a little time at the end to get some bark back. I've been told it's pretty good.

sounds fantastic, what kind of Italian dressing and BBQ sauce? Kraft for both or can I get fancy?
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Here ya go OP.

ellebee
Agasaurus Tex said:

Here ya go OP.

Now this guy knows brisket. Much success with this recipe.
Bobcat-Ag
Basically did everything wrong!
tsuag10
AG
This is now going to be my standard response on any brisket thread! Thank you!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Basically did everything wrong!
Nah, this was revolutionary! I'm going to do this next time. Thanks for sharing!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I loved his "blood is where the flavor is" comment early on.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.