Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

At HEB, best Steak Rub Here?

6,590 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LCE
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs for best steak rub that's available at heb? Also any thoughts on truffle salt as part of a marinade for ribeyes?
Concreteag14
Jacobsen black pepper salt.
javajaws
AG
Fiesta brand - Uncle Chris' gourmet steak seasoning
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Rattler12
A little off subject but for you folks in the SA area that mourn the closing of Bolner's store on S Flores, Joe D. has opened up a meat market in the old Bergheim store in Bergheim. He carries all of the Fiesta seasoning products also
FIDO*98*
AG
Sea Salt grinder (or kosher salt) + Peppercorn grinder

Quote:

Also any thoughts on truffle salt as part of a marinade for ribeyes?

You don't marinate good Ribeyes.
MookieBlaylock
AG
javajaws said:

Its better on pork and chicken
htxag09
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

javajaws said:

Its better on pork and chicken

Yes it is. It's the only premixed seasoning I buy.
Max Power
AG
Kosher salt and **** load of black pepper.
Mathguy64
AG
Uncle Chris's works great on pork tenderloin.
GAC06
AG
Are people really marinating ribeyes and then putting rubs on them?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Sea Salt grinder (or kosher salt) + Peppercorn grinder

Quote:

Also any thoughts on truffle salt as part of a marinade for ribeyes?

You don't marinate good Ribeyes.

This is the only correct answer. Everyone marinating steaks is only one half rung above those eating well done sirloins with A1
sanitariex
AG
bam02
AG
Uncle Chris.

I also like a little Montreal Steak seasoning as an alternative.
Ornlu
AG
I really like this stuff:

madcuz
AG
Adams Texas steakhouse along with course ground sea salt is all you need if you have a good cut of beef
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Killen's Salt & Pepper Blend. It's all I use.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/killen-s-texas-salt-amp-pepper-blend/1977714
htxag09
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Honest question, why would anyone buy a salt & pepper blend? You have salt and pepper at home already. Or I assume you do. Plus it's likely you have whole peppercorns that you grind on demand at home. So it'd be cheaper, better, and more customizable to just do your own salt and pepper.
SpiderDude
AG
Ornlu said:

This. It's not a "sexy" recommendation. But it's been around forever and is tried and true. Love the course dried garlic in it. However, for a really good prime steak I'd stick to kosher salt and course ground black pepper... let the prime beef do the talking.
texag06ish
AG
Aggie Owned as well.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
htxag09 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Honest question, why would anyone buy a salt & pepper blend? You have salt and pepper at home already. Or I assume you do. Plus it's likely you have whole peppercorns that you grind on demand at home. So it'd be cheaper, better, and more customizable to just do your own salt and pepper.
Because I like the pepper in this blend and haven't been able to replicate it on my own. And opinions are like *******s.
CrawfordAg
AG
The HEB Texas originals steak seasoning isn't bad...seems like a coarse blend of garlic pepper and salt. I normally go with a liberal dusting of meat church holy cow with a light sprinkle of hardcore carnivores Black seasoning...perfect every single time.
DiskoTroop
Marauder Blue 6 said:

htxag09 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

Because I like the pepper in this blend and haven't been able to replicate it on my own. And opinions are like *******s.
See if you can find this brand of ground pepper... It's Israeli pepper and it's absolutely crazy how different and floral it is. I've been using it on my steaks lately and I need to order more. First time I found it available on Ebay... took 6 weeks to arrive!

https://mspices.co.il/products_cat/%d7%aa%d7%91%d7%9c%d7%99%d7%a0%d7%99%d7%9d/?lang=en
ValleyRatAg
AG
HEB Steak Rub, their version of Montreal is good.

I like to go 50% Carnivore Black and 50% Holy Cow when cooking sirloin or just want a lot of seasoning. Sorry, sometimes I just want a lot of flavor in the seasoning.

I usually go with salt & pepper then melt a garlic herb butter on top while it's resting.
djmeen95
AG
SpiderDude said:

Ornlu said:

This. It's not a "sexy" recommendation. But it's been around forever and is tried and true. Love the course dried garlic in it. However, for a really good prime steak I'd stick to kosher salt and course ground black pepper... let the prime beef do the talking.

Count me in on this recommendation too. Love this stuff for steaks.
Johnny Danger
AG
djmeen95 said:

SpiderDude said:

Ornlu said:

Count me in on this recommendation too. Love this stuff for steaks.

POTD
oklaunion
TexJoy Steak Seasoning
HTownAg98
For choice steaks, tri tip, picanha, flank steak, I like the Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust recipe from amazingribs.com
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/mrs-olearys-cow-crust-recipe/

For prime steaks, it's just salt prior to cooking, then a dusting of very finely ground black pepper as soon as the meat comes out of the pan. There's enough heat on the meat to extract the pepper flavor without fear of burning it and making it bitter while searing.
Lola68
Hardcore Carnivore's Black rub is delicious. Found it at HEB. Interesting as it has activated charcoal as one of the ingredients. Tasting, and makes a great crust after searing.
wadd96
AG
Kosher salt. Plack pepper. Fiesta Garlic Pepper.

Although, I do like Jess's Hardcore Carnivore Black...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
fka ftc
https://guysseasoning.com/

Good on many things. Burgers are great, ribs use sparingly, this seasoning plus some Worcestershire can make for a great little steak when venturing from the salt and pepper basics.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Ordinary Man
McCormicks Brown Sugar Burbon rub, which is best rib I have ever tried. Put a little olive oil on it with the rub a couple of hours ahead of time, then cook over coals.

I highly recommend the tenderloin at HEB ($30/lb) or at Costco ($22/lb). Sounds expensive but 1 Lb will satisfy my wife and I, and beats $45 steaks at a restaurant
bevokilla
AG
Ornlu said:

This stuff makes awesome grilled pork chops.
LCE
AG
It's also good on rim of glass for a Bloody Mary
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.