Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chicken Technique?

5,070 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Gilligan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a roasted chicken last night.

The wing / drumette was sticking straight up and 1/2 of the skin of the bird was wrapped around a combination of dark and white meat and stuffed with garlic and herbs then roasted a golden brown.

It was the shape of a can of soda with the wingbone the only bone. Anyone have an idea what this technique / method is called?

Had this at Pier 6 in San Leon and want to replicate it.
HTownAg98
Was the whole bird boneless? If so, that's a ballotine.
The Dirty Sock
YouTube Jacques pepin chicken ballotine
Gilligan
AG
Very close. I'd say what I had was prepared similarly except in half. With the wing section left sticking up. I was deconstructing it in my head on my run and I feel like the skin was probably covered in salt and refrigerated before being wiped off to get that super crisp golden skin.

But that is what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
Gilligan
AG
Turkey Ballontine

Holy Moses! I am so doing this at Thanksgiving except more traditional with stuffing / dressing.

That looks so awesome!
lb sand
AG
Just did.
Gonna make this weekend.
agcrock2005
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

That **** would take me two hours to do and he could have done it in less than a minute! Great video. Will have to try that one out.
HTownAg98
It's not too difficult. The hardest part is getting the leg bones out.
The Dirty Sock
agcrock2005 said:

The Dirty Sock said:

That **** would take me two hours to do and he could have done it in less than a minute! Great video. Will have to try that one out.

Took me 15 minutes my first try. You get much quicker of course with practice and make sure you got a sharp knife.
lb sand
AG
Made this last night. It really wasn't that difficult to debone the bird. I watched and rewatched the Jacques several times while doing it. Stuffed with Swiss cheese, mushrooms, spinach and day old garlic bread I cubed.
It was delicious.

Gilligan
AG
That looks great!
Gilligan
AG

agcrock2005
AG
Can't wait to try this.
sanitariex
AG
Humble knife brag.
Gilligan
AG
sanitariex said:

Humble knife brag.
NO $h!T! Those are some nice knives!
Gilligan
AG
...and what looks like a carbon steel pan.

lb sand
AG
Thanks
Those pans are Demeyere stainless. They are not non-stick, but they almost act like they are non-stick. They are very easy to clean.

My knife game is strong, lol. The one chef knife I had made my Cowboy Sczymanski at Phenix Knives in Bellville.(He was on Forged in Fire season 1) Its 54 layer damascus steel he hand forged. I had to wait a year for it. It is a high carbon and will get razor sharp. I don't use that often because of the care you have to take cleaning it. (it will rust rather easily).
The other knife my mother-in-law brought back to me from Japan. She bought it in a town/village that is famous for its knife making industry. It is also high carbon blade. It stays wicked sharp. You can literally shave with it. I use that knife on everything that doesn't have a bone in it.
Gilligan
AG
Gilligan
AG
Took me 20 minutes. Start and stop on the video and my bird didn't come with wing tips and I spent too much time making the wing pop things. I have some ideas for the wing pops!

If you've processed a deer it's not hard except for NOT making a hole in the skin.

I am cooking it tomorrow.
Gilligan
AG
Sorry that I don't have (...or want) stars, so I can't post pics.

This was really good. It looks almost like the one in the pictures above except a little more golden brown.

I basted mine with butter a couple of time as well. I did a slight sprinkling with Meatchurch Holy Voodoo.

Seared it on all sides before putting it in the oven.

I then used the drippings with a red wine & mirepoix reduction thickened with a root starch. (Arrowroot).

It was awesome!
agcrock2005
AG
Thought rookies were the only one's that couldn't post pics??
Gilligan
AG
From my phone. Pretty sure you have to pay for that privilege.
Gilligan
AG
To upload a photo you must be a subscriber. To insert a linked photo, provide an image URL in your reply text.

~Texags
MichaelJ
AG
MAking my run at this
Just finished the deboning

Will be cooking later
MichaelJ
AG

Gilligan
AG
Looks great! Post a pic of a cross section of it.
MichaelJ
AG
Gilligan said:

Looks great! Post a pic of a cross section of it.

Before heating up for lunch - stuffed with a spinach mushroom mixture and grated grana padano cheese

bbry81
Looks great. By the way it requires nothing to post pictures Gillian. Upload to IMgbb then copy the link and post it. I definitely want to try this. Going to have to sharpen my knives I feel like first. What size knife did you guys use?
MichaelJ
AG
bbry81 said:

Looks great. By the way it requires nothing to post pictures Gillian. Upload to IMgbb then copy the link and post it. I definitely want to try this. Going to have to sharpen my knives I feel like first. What size knife did you guys use?

I used a boning knife and paring knife mostly
Gilligan
AG
bbry81 said:

Small paring knife. Then the back of a large knife just for breaking the leg bones.

I wish my wife liked mushrooms so I could add that in there.
Gilligan
AG

Deboned; Sauted Spinach & Garlic; Gruyere Cheese; two day old garlic bread cut into croutons; trussed; seared on all sides; resting; final product service with a red wine mirepoix reduction.
Gilligan
AG
I apparently suck at posting pictures.

Apologies in advance!

Thanks every one for your patience and tips and tricks. I was trying to do everything from my phone last night and it's a lot easier from my PC.

Thanks for all the help.
bbry81
On img after you upload there is a drop down embedded inks. You need to choice the nb code and copy that one.
HTownAg98
Gilligan said:

bbry81 said:

Small paring knife. Then the back of a large knife just for breaking the leg bones.

I wish my wife liked mushrooms so I could add that in there.

To add insult to injury, there's a recipe Pepin uses that calls for red rice, leeks, and mushrooms.
Gilligan
AG
I love mushrooms and the wife hates them.

I saw that recipe you mentioned with the rice. Arg!

I saw another recipe where the chef trimmed a bunch of cooked mushrooms and placed them together in a way that when rolled up in the chicken it will look like a mushroom wherever you cut it. I can easily make one for me with mushrooms. But I'd have to make another one without.

Next attempt will be with a small Turkey.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.