Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best store bought chips and salsa?

10,571 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scoodogg
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

It's highly individualistic. Much of what I judge a Mexican restaurant on is it's hot sauce and chips.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. If I don't like a restaurant's chips and salsa, it's pretty much a deal breaker regardless of how good their food is.
HDeathstar
https://tejanosalsa.com/

Tejano Salsa
Jackal99
AG
HDeathstar said:

https://tejanosalsa.com/

Tejano Salsa
Their tamales are also pretty good, if you're local and can stop by their shop.
halibut sinclair

At HEB and online. My current favorite.
halibut sinclair
This mix is also very good and super easy.

AggieFlyboy
AG
Julio's chips - regular or spicy

I can make a homemade salsa in under 5 minutes that will beat los pantalones off any store bought
ValleyRatAg
AG
HEB's in house fresh salsa in the produce section when I don't make my own. We like the hot but they have medium and mild as well.

HEB sea salt chips when I don't make my own.

We always keep some Kylitos in the pantry just in case.
cecil77
AG
Sometimes to garlic powdery for me. We'll mix in the HEB fresh pico and it's just right...
Ags-R-Better
Bucc-ee's Peach Chipotle Salsa is like crack. Don't like peaches, and I prefer spicier salsa, but this sweet nectar is hard to stop eating...with HEB Sea Salt Chips of course or delicious in breakfast tacos.

Just a little something different for store bought stuff, highly recommend.

Saxsoon
AG
This **** from HEB is pretty damn great

You can find this at Kroger typically and was my go to when I lived up in Seattle

toolshed
AG
I'm a fan of Kylitos original and fire roasted salsas.

Also make my own.

My wife gets irritated that I'll stand at the salsa section for 20 minutes inspecting jars, reading ingredients to find a better one. It's a thing, she just doesn't understand.
C1NRB
AG
toolshed said:

I'm a fan of Kylitos original and fire roasted salsas.

Also make my own.

My wife gets irritated that I'll stand at the salsa section for 20 minutes inspecting jars, reading ingredients to find a better one. It's a thing, she just doesn't understand.
I do this too but I have an additional reason- I can't do onions. At all. It's best described as a food allergy, but it's not anaphylactic-level. I won't die, but there were times I wished for the sweet relief death might bring before I figured out the trigger of my discomfort.

Anyway- you'd really be surprised the number of salsas that DON'T have onions in them. And it seems like new ones are hitting the market all the time. Anytime I'm on the HEB salsa aisle I stop, peruse, and stock up.

Also, some producers will change the recipe on you. I've had a few things I really like jump up and bite me so I always review ingredients, even if it's from a trusted source.
toolshed
AG
One of the things I look at is vinegar. If it's high on the list, I put it back.
Saxsoon
AG
toolshed said:

One of the things I look at is vinegar. If it's high on the list, I put it back.

Why I can't do hot sauces
Farmer1906
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Sadie's Salsa from the restaurant in New Mexico. I found it at many HEB's I go too and also Walmart as well. Also order through Amazon.

I think that is the same place that makes Breggy Bomb now. Or maybe its just rebranded.

aglaes
AG
jopatura said:

The HEB Bakery chips are pretty good. They have sea salt, unsalted, and a seasoned chip. They are usually near the tortillas/bakery bread. I like them a lot better then chip aisle chips as they don't have that fake preservative taste to them. Only downside is they can get stale if you don't eat them often.

I haven't found a store salsa that knocks it out if the park. We like using HEB's ThatSALSAbout salsa for cooking, but it doesn't have enough kick on its own. Usually when I want fresh salsa, I'll pick it up to go from a Mexican restaurant.
Really like the HEB Bakery chips as well, but one thing I've found with the Sea Salt is the salt is very unevenly distributed. Some chips have very little salt and some are salty as hell.
HTownAg98
The HEB brand chips used to be slightly thicker which made them great for thicker dips like guacamole. And I agree on the salt distribution. Some are bland, and some are like licking a salt block.
nai06
AG
For chips-
Whatever the local mexican market has
Julios
Santitas Yellow corn

For Salsa-
I've been on a Jardine's kick lately. I really like their campfire roasted and Smoky Jalapeno. I also like the Herdez guacamole salsa.
Baby Billy
AG
I'm a salsa nut. I've tried all of it at HEB multiple times.

This is my favorite. Julio's is great but a little too salty for me. Wife loves Mateo's, which is probably #2 on my list

barnacle bob
AG
Potcake said:

El Milagro estilo casera and Mrs. Refro's habanero

I will second the El Milagro Estilo Casera. I haven't seen them for over a year though (HEB). Does anyone else regularly stock them?

I haven't found a decent substitute.
Texan_Aggie
AG
barnacle bob said:

Potcake said:

I will second the El Milagro Estilo Casera. I haven't seen them for over a year though (HEB). Does anyone else regularly stock them?

El Milagro is good stuff, but its like tissue paper when using with salsa/queso.
barnacle bob
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

barnacle bob said:

Potcake said:

El Milagro is good stuff, but its like tissue paper when using with salsa/queso.

I don't think we are talking bout the same product. They have the paper thin ones pretty regular (hard pass), but these are in a paper bag. Worth seeking out.
Ag MD 84
AG
barnacle bob said:

Texan_Aggie said:

barnacle bob said:

Potcake said:

I don't think we are talking bout the same product. They have the paper thin ones pretty regular (hard pass), but these are in a paper bag. Worth seeking out.
I agree the El Milagro Estilo Casera chips are the best. Always buy multiple bags when we go to Central Market (San Antonio or Austin). Our local (Kerrville) HEB carries El Milagro chips, but not the Estilo Casera chips which come in a paper bag, seem thicker, and just seem to taste more like corn (better than most restaurant chips) and are perfect for nachos.
keysercade
AG
Wright's (cold section) is another winner, especially the hot / green / habanero...
FightinTAC08
AG
for salsas i like

La Casita - Hot
Julio's
Kylito's - Chunky Garlic

For chips:

La Casita
Leal's - Original Seasoning
El Milagro Estilo Casera
HtownAg92
AG
halibut sinclair said:

At HEB and online. My current favorite.
I'm a Mark's guy, but prefer the blue label Restaurant Style. Current regular leader in the clubhouse.

And HEB bakery sea salt chips.

HEB's That Red and That Green are also very good.
Hwy30East
I bought some Mateos salsa the other day after reading this thread.

It's great! Will be buying more.
Waterski02
AG
Great Value Restaurant Style

Great Value Mild Restaurant Style Salsa, 16 oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

My favorite store bought, it's back by the chips in our Walmart, not with the other Salsas.
aglaes
AG
Hwy30East said:

I bought some Mateos salsa the other day after reading this thread.

It's great! Will be buying more.

Saw all the votes for Mateo's too. Went out and bought a jar of the Hatch Pepper version. Meh - a little too much added sugar for me. Don't want my salsa to be sweet. (Update 7-16-21: Been eating this Mateo's and its growing on me. Damn good.)

Also recently bought Kylito's Medium. Another guy in the salsa section very selectively picked it out and I asked him about it. He said he had pretty much tried every salsa there (HEB) and Kylito's was his favorite. Seemed like worth a try based on that alone.. I like it better than the Mateo's that I tried.
Hwy30East
I had the regular Mateos medium.

I'll have to try the Kylitos next.
Vade281
AG
The Dona from Taco Deli is my go to buy. Otherwise I'm okay eating/serving the Amazon Fresh brand salsas.
halibut sinclair
Thanks for the rec on Kylito's. Picked up some today at Kroger - hot and habanero. The hot is excellent. Will try the habanero soon.
Jock 07
AG
Late to the party but obviously Julios for the chips and Trader Joe's verde in the cooler for the salsa

scoodogg
AG
Kylitos has been my go to for a while. Be careful with the hot. It's hotter than other brands' hot salsas.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.