Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best store bought chips and salsa?

10,570 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by scoodogg
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chips and salsa is my snacking drug of choice, so I've sampled quite a few brands, but curious to know if there are some great ones I'm missing out on.

So far my favorite chips are Julio's or Cardona, and salsas of choice are Julio's fresh or Mateos.

What else is out there?
jwag
AG
Mateo's hatch chile is good. I also with get both the hot and mild Hell on the Red and mix them up for a more medium spice.
Sazerac
AG
HEB sea salt chips

Mateos for red salsas. Hatch is their best but original is great also.

Herdez for green versions especially their guacamole salsa. and they also have a Mexican red similar to places that serve it warm.
Potcake
AG
El Milagro estilo casera and Mrs. Refro's habanero
ATM9000
AG
Up your game and make your own salsa. Cheap easy and sort of fun to do
Texan_Aggie
AG
Julio's.
jopatura
AG
The HEB Bakery chips are pretty good. They have sea salt, unsalted, and a seasoned chip. They are usually near the tortillas/bakery bread. I like them a lot better then chip aisle chips as they don't have that fake preservative taste to them. Only downside is they can get stale if you don't eat them often.

I haven't found a store salsa that knocks it out if the park. We like using HEB's ThatSALSAbout salsa for cooking, but it doesn't have enough kick on its own. Usually when I want fresh salsa, I'll pick it up to go from a Mexican restaurant.
Martin Cash
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Julio's.
This. EOT
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tortilla chips - Late July
Salsa - Frontera
Pac1698
AG
Tried Mateos red for the first time this past weekend, but it didn't do it for us. We used to get the Salt Lick Texas and restaurant style salsa. We really enjoyed those, but it seems like they changed something in the recipe. We still enjoy it, but it's just above average now. Do like the Herdez guacamole salsa. We definitely go with the HEB bakery sea salt chips.
MavsAg
AG
HEB's in house salsa is also top notch.
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Great thread! What is the best salsas? I am tired of Pace. Maybe someone could do one of those bracket contests.
The Dirty Sock
This is our go to since they're cheap(around 2 bucks):

Salsa, whatever. Usually just get the On the Border salsa.
AgsMnn
AG
Julios. The MSG does amazing things.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
H-E-B bakery chips and Julio's salsa (from the cold section). I normally make my own salsa, but Julio's is my go to when I'm in a pinch.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Oh and a couple things my mama taught me... you can freeze chips to keep them longer and you can pretty much eat them right out of the freezer. Secondly, you can microwave and / or put stale chips in oven to re-crisp them up. Don't make the mistake of microwaving foiled lined bags and / or the twist-tie.
chilidogfood
AG
ATM9000 said:

This is the way.

HEB sea salt chips + home made salsa.

Quick and easy salsa:
(1) produce bag practically full of tomatoes
(1) produce bag about half full of jalapenos
(2-3ish) white onion
(1) bunch of cilantro

-Cut veg in half and place on baking sheets
-Spray with a quick hit of cooking spray
-Broil until charred AF...seriously...AF
-Blitz everything in blender until desired consistency
-Tear the leaves off the top of the cilantro bunch and throw in the blender with a couple pinches of salt and pulse until cilatro is chopped

ATM9000
AG
My go to is 5 tomatoes. 2 cloves of garlic, about half an onion quartered, a couple jalapeños and a few Thai chilis. Cook all of that together on a cast iron until the tomatoes get really blistered and soft. Blend all of that and add salt and cilantro and continue to blend to your preferred taste.

10-15 minutes to make, keeps for a while and destroys all store bought salsas in flavor.
JLN90
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Julio's.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

I love that brand, but I don't really consider it a "chips and salsa" kind of salsa.
BurnetAggie99
Sadie's Salsa from the restaurant in New Mexico. I found it at many HEB's I go too and also Walmart as well. Also order through Amazon.

Garrelli 5000
AG
Salsa - Kylitos. I prefer hot but warning that hot is actually pretty damn warm for "hot" salsa.

Great flavor. Perfect ratio (to me) of veggies and liquid, salt and vinegar, heat, etc. I'm sure their medium is probably a great overall party pleaser. F those that eat like 1 year olds
Take the trash out staff.
cevans_40
AG
Julios serano salsa in the refrigerator section. Closest thing to making your own.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Tortilla chips - Late July
Salsa - Frontera

Do you live in my house?!
bushytailed
AG
HEB bakery chips with sea salt
Mateo's salsa (hot)
HEB's salsa Fresca is great too
Texker
AG
I like Mateo's with chips but it's a fantastic cooking salsa.
htxag09
AG
You really can't beat homemade salsa. But we still enjoy marks salsas (we buy it at heb) and keep some on hand when we don't feel like making it or don't have all the ingredients
aggiesherpa
AG
I actually grew up eating salsa with Frito scoops, so that is my preference.
Teslag
AG
chilidogfood said:

ATM9000 said:

This is the way.

HEB sea salt chips + home made salsa.

Quick and easy salsa:
(1) produce bag practically full of tomatoes
(1) produce bag about half full of jalapenos
(2-3ish) white onion
(1) bunch of cilantro

-Cut veg in half and place on baking sheets
-Spray with a quick hit of cooking spray
-Broil until charred AF...seriously...AF
-Blitz everything in blender until desired consistency
-Tear the leaves off the top of the cilantro bunch and throw in the blender with a couple pinches of salt and pulse until cilatro is chopped

I wondered how long would be till a captain obvious shows up and ignores the point of the thread
ChipFTAC01
AG
Another vote for Mateos and Julios. I do make my own salsa but I don't always keep a jar of fresh homemade salsa in the fridge or pantry.
cecil77
AG
Part of the fun is trying different ones, combining them, etc.

As to Pace.. well yuck... Don't know what artificial seasoning they use, but I don't like it. Also don't care for anything with garlic powder in it.
Snowball
AG
Julio's Chips

Clints Salsa

Outstanding
Texker
AG
I bought a jar of Frontera Double Roasted Tomato Salsa today based on this thread. It's excellent. Reminds me of 'Sitos salsa. It didn't pair well with the chips we have so we'll have to get a different brand.
cecil77
AG
It's highly individualistic. Much of what I judge a Mexican restaurant on is it's hot sauce and chips.

Personally, I really don't like chipotle and roasted flavors in my hot sauce. While I'm sure the recipe above is great for it's style, it's a style I really don't care for - like won't eat it.

Living in Texas we have a huge assortment to choose from - and that's a great thing!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.