Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hosting a Crawfish Boil

7,435 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Habanero Guero
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

Hosting a crawfish boil for this weekend for about 6 people. I've done a boil in the past that turned out pretty good, but figured I'd ask TexAgs for any tips / recipes for a good spicy batch.

Thinking of including:
-15-20 lbs crawfish
- shrimp
- lemons
- potatoes
- jalepenos
- mushrooms

Also looking to make a garlic butter sauce for dipping tails.

Any recommendations or recipes to help me out? We like spicy.

Thanks!
Houston Astros- 2017 & 2022 World Champs
MAROON
AG
sausage
whole heads of garlic
Ag_07
AG
I'd nix jalapenos (not sure how that flavor would compliment each other) and swap them out for brussel sprouts.

Did some of those last time and they turned out awesome.
DiskoTroop
Ag_07 said:

I'd nix jalapenos (not sure how that flavor would compliment each other) and swap them out for brussel sprouts.

Beat me to it. Brussel sprouts are our new go-to. Soaks up a bunch of seasoning for a little flavor bomb. They're great.

Also skip the garlic butter and go crawfish dip.

1 cup Mayo
1/3 cup ketchup
Tbsp favorite creole seasoning
Tbsp worcestershire
Two tbsp minced garlic
CloudRusty
Seconded on garlic and sausage

You can put almost anything you want

I like to add okra, onion, celery, and butter in addition to all the things you have already

I think the most important part is where you source the crawfish from really. Got to make sure it's fresh and cleaned before the boil
Garrelli 5000
AG
Halved oranges, 1/2 bottle of Louisiana hot sauce, and pickle juice, all in the boil.
Take the trash out staff.
aggiespartan
AG
How long do all you guys let it soak in the water? We can never get enough spice in the meat.
Lola68
Sausage, corn on the cob, potatoes, asparagus, artichokes, mushrooms. Friend of mine added pineapple chunks.
Lola68
Soak at least 30 minutes
MAROON
AG
I know someone who recently did a boil ad put in heads of broccoli. They said they were so spicy it was almost not edible. Last time I was at a boil the spiciest item was the mushrooms by far.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Whole onions (small), peeled. I've done them in shrimp boils and they come out very mild and flavorful.
CloudRusty
I do minimum 30 minutes, I try to go for 45

But to each man his own
thenational
AG
Boil in plain water. Then put cooked crawfish in a soak pot with plenty of butter.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Pineapple... seriously, it's delicious.
Cassius
1. Add roughly one bag of Louisiana Crawfish Co. seafood boil. Honestly, it's just for your guests
to smell. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't get inside the crawfish unless you soak them for at
least a half-hour.
2. After the water comes to a rapid boil, add your potatoes and cook for 15 mins or until
fork-tender. During the last 5 mins, you can add corn and any other vegetables you may want.
Then remove and sit aside and keep warm
3. Add crawfish to the rapidly boiling water, cover with lid, and wait for them to return to a boil.
4. Boiling times may vary depending on the time of the year and the thickness of the shell, but
once they come back to a boil, let them boil for no longer than 2mins. This is where many
people mess up. You can overcook a crawfish very easily, and then peeling gets tough.
5. While you're waiting on them to finish boiling, take an ice chest and sprinkle a light layer of
seafood boil on the bottom. Once the crawfish have reached your desired cooking time (less is
better), dump layers of fish into the ice chest, sprinkling each layer evenly with seafood boil. You
will need 1lb of boil to 15 lbs of crawfish.
5b. Add butter, garlic and lemongrass cayenne and cilantro. Once you've covered the last layer,
you and a buddy need to shake the ice chest to thoroughly mix the seasoning.
6. Let them steam for 15 mins with the lid on the ice chest.
7. Gather your platters and serve the crawfish after at least 15 mins of steaming. The more time
in the box, the spicier they will be.
BMX Bandit
20 pounds for 6 people?

this party in minnesota?
FIDO*98*
AG
Seriously. We had skinny 12yo girls at our boil on Saturday putting down 3-4 lbs. Guys probably killed 7lbs/ea
austinag1997
AG
BMX Bandit said:

20 pounds for 6 people?

this party in minnesota?

austinag1997
AG
Six people. 1 sack. Sacks are typocally around 32lbs.
Tanya 93
artichokes are really good in it too
FishFixe
YUM!

Would definitely recommend a full sack (30 ish lbs) for 6 people. If you are in Texas - HEB sells both field run and washed sacks and for just a bit more you can buy the washed to give you a much cleaner crawfish.

We are fans of the quick boil until they start floating and then soak method.

For your soaking water - Fill pot 3/4 of the way and add Louisiana dry seasoning, liquid boil and a bottle of vinegary hot sauce. Bring the water to a boil. If you only have one pot pour the soaking water in an ice chest then return the pot to a boil with water (slightly seasoned). While the water returns to a boil your soaking water will be cooling to the proper temperature for soaking - lukewarm. Optimal soak time is 20-30 min. Taste your soaking water - it should be salty and spicy!!

For the veggies - Corn, Potatoes, Mushrooms, Sausage and Brussel Sprouts!

The leftovers make an excellent day after boil breakfast hash.

Fish Fixe | Making seafood simple
htxag09
AG
I like to add oysters for the last 5 minutes or so of the soak, or by themselves when you take out the crawfish. They come out awesome
AgsMnn
AG
Can't believe crawfish pricing these days.
CloudRusty
How much are you getting yours for?
AgsMnn
AG
I've seen some pricing and just seems if you are spending that much, why not use shrimp?
aggiespartan
AG
AgsMnn said:

I've seen some pricing and just seems if you are spending that much, why not use shrimp?
What prices are you seeing? Shrimp isn't any cheaper from what I'm seeing.
BMX Bandit
AgsMnn said:

AgsMnnisota
Beckdiesel03
AG
We normally use one bag of seasoning and do the vegetables first so they aren't stupid spicy. Then for the crawfish we add at least another half bag if not more. If you can walk up the water and not cough, or at least get it caught in your throat, it's not enough. We also do at least a 30 minute soak.
Spore Ag
Only one person uses liquid boil. I found this to get absobed into the fat of the crawfish keeping it spicey throughout.

We did do the Brussel sprouts and they were great.
AlaskanAg99
AG
My homebrew club does a big boil each year. A few years ago I set up a frying station to compliment the crawfish. It was a big pain because it was so ghetto, but it was a huge hit.

This year I bought a much better fryer and nearly everything will be beer battered:
Onion Rings
Crawfish (duh)
Shrimp
Boudain Balls, not beer battered
Hush puppies, not beer battered
and I'll do some catfish for a few select people.

It def adds a little more variety, although I'm there mostly for the mudbugs, I do love some beer battered items.
Wife is an Aggie
We did one a few weeks ago with some neighbors and added asparagus. It was a crowd favorite.
betadawg1
AG
We started adding a bottle a curry powder to the boil. It gives it a unique taste. Everyone has really liked the flavor, but no one has been able to guess what it is. If you want really spicy crawfish use the hot curry powder.
Habanero Guero
AG
Update- The boil went very well. Brussel Sprouts and Pineapple are great additions!

Thanks all!
Houston Astros- 2017 & 2022 World Champs
Duck Blind
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Ag_07 said:

Also skip the garlic butter and go crawfish dip.

1 cup Mayo
1/3 cup ketchup
Tbsp favorite creole seasoning
Tbsp worcestershire
Two tbsp minced garlic

This!!!
Gilligan
AG
This is some of the nastiest **** ever created, but put a couple of these out at a crawfish boil and they disappear.

You can hear people comment: "OMG, who still eats this stuff, etc..." Then they squeeze it onto the corn and / or potatoes. Never fails to please
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.