Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Brisket is ON!

2,079 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by toolshed
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took a nice 3 hour nap this afternoon.

The coals look good, the stick burner is chugging.

I have a brisket and a butt on. Will put on a chicken and some sausage in the morning.
BusterAg
AG
Trying out my new inkbird IBBQ-4T, will let you know how it performs.

https://inkbird.com/products/ibbq-4t
BusterAg
AG
Okay, it took me about 15 minutes to get this thing set up.

One slightly frustrating thing is that it only supports 2.4 ghz, not 5. My phone was not connecting.

So, I disconnected my phone from the 5 ghz wifi, and reconnected to my 2.4ghz wifi, and it found the device. I am seeing the temp of my cook box, and my two pieces of meat very clearly now.
BusterAg
AG
The range of this thing is pretty good. My device is about 12 yards from my router as the crow flies, on the other side of the window. Also, the smoker faces away from the house, so the device is sitting on the shelf with the big metal smoker between the device and the router. Great connection.

What I love about this thing, as that as long as the device and my phone both have connection to the wifi, I can see what my temps are. I am going to get in a lot of great naps tonight between logs on the fire.
bularry
keep the updates coming!
BusterAg
AG
So far so good. Watching the longest day on the couch. Fell asleep. Woke up to explosions. Went to check the fire, needed another couple of logs, but nothing bad.

Smoke is still beautiful.

Back to my couch and the Duke. Pretty confident that if things get out of whack my phone will wake me up. Hasn't happened yet.
BusterAg
AG
Okay, the alarm on this thing sucks.

I woke up, D-Day was over, and my smoker had been below my desired 215 degrees for more than an hour. working on the fire now. Waiting for logs to catch.
BusterAg
AG
Okay, that was sub-optimal.

Here is the good thing. I know exactly what happened. I dropped below cooking temperatures at about 3:55, and stayed below until about 5:15, when I was able to feed the fire.

The bad thing is that the app did a terrible job of waking me up.

Now, the device I used before from Inkbird could have woken Lazarus if you dropped out of temp. The problem with that previous device is that I had to put my phone right next to the door, and half the time the alarm went off, it was due to connection issues, not temp issues. That was not an issue at all tonight.

However, I was fully expecting a red-alert, your house is about to get nuked type alarm tonight when temps got low. That didn't happen.

I'll play with the alert settings this morning, and hopefully figure it out. For now, the cook is totally saved, but delayed about an hour and a half or so.
danieljustin06
AG
Hopefully you get it figured out. I just bought the thermoworks X2 smoke. It doesn't connect to my phone, but it has the base and a receiver that claims a range of 1.2 miles with line of sight. I will be testing it real soon.
Bobcat-Ag
7 posts and no pictures!
NE PA Ag
Got a brisket and a butt going about 2 1/2 hours ago.
BusterAg
AG
At the golf course.

Not the best brisket I have done. It blew through 191 while I was sleeping. The flat is a little dry, but the point is tasty.

It is good tasting smoke at least. No metallic creosote.

I have to figure out how to get that alarm more pronounced. I will try to post the temp graph when I get home.
BusterAg
AG
The wife is nursing the pit while the butt is still on. More pics this afternoon.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It may not be your best, but I'm sure the folks at Lincoln Riley's house would be glad to eat it.
BusterAg
AG
Um. Thanks.

That's like saying "at least your daughter is better looking than Lori Lightfoot".

It's actually pretty good. I am pretty happy with my new piece of gear. The butt turned out awesome. I will live stream my next cook. Hopefully I will figure out how to share temp graphs by then.
toolshed
AG
Bark looks really tasty!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.