Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Easy Cooking to Entertain 30 People?

3,805 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MichaelJ
Stupid@17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for easy cooking themes or ideas for having a somewhat diverse group of people over in June (in Texas so hot).
Max Power
AG
Fajitas, just cook the meat and get all the extras, people make them how they like. So you shouldn't have to worry too much about picky eaters.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Fajitas.

Buy skirt steak, marinate in pineapple juice for 30-40 minutes. throw on a super hot grill and cover with seasoning salt and soy sauce. Cook the meat rare. Let it rest for a few minutes, then cut perpendicular to the grain of the meat. Squeeze fresh lime juice on the cut meat. Get the uncooked tortillas from HEB in the biscuit/butter area. throw those on the grill and cook quickly.

Margaritas.

Buy nice blanco tequila (at least Hornitos). Go cheap on the triple sec, and buy a huge huge bag of limes. Throw those bottles in the freezer, cut and squeeze the lime juice. Make simple syrup on the stove (2 cups sugar to 1 cup water). Get the simple syrup cooled down in the fridge. Mix up 2 parts tequila to 1 part triple sec, 3 parts simple syrup, and 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice. Mix and pour over a cup loaded down with ice. This recipe anticipates needing some of the ice to melt and dilute your sugar/liquor because nobody has the time to have prechilled liquor and cooled simple syrup. That margarita will be slightly sweet, without any alcohol flavor, and will have a nice fresh punch to it. Your women will suck that down. I've also had good success on dicing jalapenos up and throwing them into the simple syrup when its on the stove. Pull the peppers out after 30 minutes and strain. Its a nice kick at the end of the marg.

Congrats. You have now spent $200+ on food/booze and all your friends want to come over next weekend to do it again.

If you really want to throw an awesome party, rent a margarita machine that will push out restaurant quality frozen margs for like a hundred bucks. Now that is how you have an awesome party.
SpiderDude
AG
I prefer Agave syrup in my Ritas. Though it's thicker and sweeter than a 1:1 simple syrup so you'd dial it way back to 1:1 Agave to lime juice. It's also lower glycemic than sugar so that's a win also.
one MEEN Ag
AG
SpiderDude said:

I prefer Agave syrup in my Ritas. Though it's thicker and sweeter than a 1:1 simple syrup so you'd dial it way back to 1:1 Agave to lime juice. It's also lower glycemic than sugar so that's a win also.
That works as well. I've used stevia to great success for those who are counting calories or glycemic load. And 3 parts of 2:1 simple syrup is a lot. No one ever actually gets to 2:1 when they're adding the sugar before they go, well thats a lot of sugar lets just cut it down some.

And then the margarita comes out thin the second the ice starts melting.
The Dirty Sock
TexAgs1992
Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya. Always an easy go-to staple for mass gatherings.
UnderoosAg
AG
Use Simply Limeade. It has lime juice, water and sugar, essentially the same thing as simple syrup and lime juice but less hassle.
Diggity
AG
HEB sells fresh lime juice in 16 oz bottles. Mucho mejor.
Jetty
AG
Taco bar... cooked ground taco meat in a crock pot on warm... beans in another crock pot... cold stuff, torts... easy peasy!!
AgsMnn
AG
This but add a splash of the cheap spur OJ off the shelf.
agcrock2005
AG
Couple pork butts for pulled pork is an easy one. Little hot outside but nothing some cold beers can't help out with.
Sazerac
AG
Wayyyy too much simple syrup in that recipe.

Otherwise some solid advice overall

Obviously BBQ is another relatively easy meal for a large group. Burgers similar, but lots of prep work if you want a full spread of toppings.
62strat
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Margaritas.

Buy nice blanco tequila (at least Hornitos). Go cheap on the triple sec, and buy a huge huge bag of limes. Throw those bottles in the freezer, cut and squeeze the lime juice. Make simple syrup on the stove (2 cups sugar to 1 cup water). Get the simple syrup cooled down in the fridge. Mix up 2 parts tequila to 1 part triple sec, 3 parts simple syrup, and 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice. Mix and pour over a cup loaded down with ice. This recipe anticipates needing some of the ice to melt and dilute your sugar/liquor because nobody has the time to have prechilled liquor and cooled simple syrup. That margarita will be slightly sweet, without any alcohol flavor, and will have a nice fresh punch to it. Your women will suck that down. I've also had good success on dicing jalapenos up and throwing them into the simple syrup when its on the stove. Pull the peppers out after 30 minutes and strain. Its a nice kick at the end of the marg.

Didn't OP say 'easy'?? That's about as difficult as a margarita can get.

Screw all that jazz, go spend the $7.99 on a few packs of these;

Or if you are near a costco with alcohol, these;
Diggity
AG
nothing to add but this

one MEEN Ag
AG
Nothing beats the flavor of fresh limes.

Aint nobody praising your hosting skills if you use this and don't rent a margarita machine.
62strat
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Aint nobody praising your hosting skills if you use this and don't rent a margarita machine.
'easy' means not juicing 50 limes and not making your own simple syrup. Sorry.
one MEEN Ag
AG
62strat said:

one MEEN Ag said:

'easy' means not juicing 50 limes and not making your own simple syrup. Sorry.
Point taken. I'm sure the OP, even with the username 'Stupid@17', could figure out that sugar water is sold at specs for a convenient markup and that limes can be bought pre-juiced. He could also even go so far as order fajitas and margaritas as catered from El Tiempo. What a time saver.

Stupid@17
AG
Genuinely appreciate all replies here.

For drinks I was leaning the route of beer, margaritas and some wine. Beer in cooler and some white wines as well. Blend up some frozen with ice, etc.

The food and ease so I can actually enjoy my company was more the concern.
ChoppinDs40
AG
62strat said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Margaritas.

Didn't OP say 'easy'?? That's about as difficult as a margarita can get.

Screw all that jazz, go spend the $7.99 on a few packs of these;

Or if you are near a costco with alcohol, these;

This was my suggestion. Costco marg mix is AMAZING. Not too sweet. Not too tart, just right. Add tequila, triple sec. garnish with a lime. Done.

With the Costco stuff you can make a huge jug of premade and serve over the rocks at will.

Anyways, other food ideas, bbq always works but if you don't know how to do a brisket, don't experiment with 30 people. Timing is everything for a group that size. Do something far more simpler, like a pork butt, ribs, sausage and chicken.

Hardest thing there is timing of the foods. Luckily chicken is ~1 hour on the smoker (full chicken is like 4-5) pork butt will run you 8-12 depending on size. Ribs 4-5 hours. Sausage, 1 hour.

A big brisket is a 2 day adventure with trimming and brining overnight and then 12+ hour smoke and 2 hour rest. Also, 1 brisket ain't gonna feed 30 people so you'll need more meats.
Stupid@17
AG
Might do a butt that finishes the day before and chicken day of for my non pork folks. Do buns and fixins with some easy non puky sides.
agcrock2005
AG
You can make meats earlier, vacuum seal and then heat up in hot water/sous vide. When my meats are done on the pit and it's ready to serve I throw it into the freezer so it stops cook and then I can vacuum seal all the juices in the bag as well. Then when you hear up it's very similar to how it was when you pulled off pit. Makes life lot easier when having party.
SpiderDude
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Fajitas.

Buy skirt steak, marinate in pineapple juice for 30-40 minutes. throw on a super hot grill and cover with seasoning salt and soy sauce. Cook the meat rare. Let it rest for a few minutes, then cut perpendicular to the grain of the meat. Squeeze fresh lime juice on the cut meat. Get the uncooked tortillas from HEB in the biscuit/butter area. throw those on the grill and cook quickly.

Margaritas.

Congrats. You have now spent $200+ on food/booze and all your friends want to come over next weekend to do it again.

If you really want to throw an awesome party, rent a margarita machine that will push out restaurant quality frozen margs for like a hundred bucks. Now that is how you have an awesome party.

This margarita works very well in pitcher sized batches... using .75c = 1 part... and typing with ice at the end. I added it to the cocktail thread as well for future reference!
agchino
AG
For easy frozen margaritas without a rental, I do one can minute maid frozen limeade concentrate (generic store brand concentrate does not taste as good).

Empty into blender, then fill half the limeade can with tequila of your choice and a quarter of the can with triple sec. Adjust for potency as you wish. For small batches I use a nice reposado tequila on sale and Gran Gala for the triple sec.

For a party I use a blanco (Sauza or up) and cheap triple sec.

Blend with ice and I always get compliments. We have a Margaritaville auto blender so that takes a little hassle out for parties.
Stupid@17
AG
agchino said:

For easy frozen margaritas without a rental, I do one can minute maid frozen limeade concentrate (generic store brand concentrate does not taste as good).

Empty into blender, then fill half the limeade can with tequila of your choice and a quarter of the can with triple sec. Adjust for potency as you wish. For small batches I use a nice reposado tequila on sale and Gran Gala for the triple sec.

For a party I use a blanco (Sauza or up) and cheap triple sec.

Blend with ice and I always get compliments. We have a Margaritaville auto blender so that takes a little hassle out for parties.

I've dine very similar and sub half the ice for frozen berries if your choice. With blackberries being best. Just make sure absolutely no one goes near your carpet if they've had too much to drink.
MichaelJ
AG
agcrock2005 said:

You can make meats earlier, vacuum seal and then heat up in hot water/sous vide. When my meats are done on the pit and it's ready to serve I throw it into the freezer so it stops cook and then I can vacuum seal all the juices in the bag as well. Then when you hear up it's very similar to how it was when you pulled off pit. Makes life lot easier when having party.

Late on the reply here - but don't you lose the bark doing it this way?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.