Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Manual espresso grinder

1,064 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by heddleston
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a recommendation for a good manual grinder for espresso? I can't seem to find much regarding whether or not it can get fine enough when looking at manual grinders online and I don't want to buy one to have to find out.
GarlandAg2012
AG
No first hand experience, but I really enjoy James Hoffman on youtube:

He's a world champ barista with very detailed reviews on his channel.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
mrmill3218
AG
Very familiar with James and love his videos. Someone haven't seen this one. Thank you for sharing!
OCEN99
AG
I haven't done espresso grinds with it, but otherwise I've been really happy with my JavaPresse.
mrmill3218
AG
Yeah I'm looking for something that can do espresso grinds at work. Getting more and more into coffee and just realizing how crazy expensive all the good stuff is.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I have a Hario and it grinds pretty fine. It's about $60. Hand grinding for espresso is a huge pain in the ass though.
Duncan Idaho
I've got a hario it works well

But

You might need to mod it and if you are careful using it, you can add M6 coupling nut on it and run it with a drill.

But unless you are traveling just buy a good electric grinder
Duncan Idaho
His videos are so damn
well made.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

His videos are so damn
well made.

Yeah they're really great. He manages to walk the line perfectly of being very well spoken (so I assume he's working from a script or at least detailed outline) but not having excessive cuts like many YouTubers.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
mrmill3218
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I've got a hario it works well

But

You might need to mod it and if you are careful using it, you can add M6 coupling nut on it and run it with a drill.

But unless you are traveling just buy a good electric grinder

The baratza Sette 270 isn't cheap!
vanderhoosen
AG
Good suggestions from the Hoffman video. I use a JX Pro and have been happy with it. I use it for espresso all the way up to french press. Some cheaper grinders may grind fine enough for espresso but you likely won't have the adjustments necessary to really dial in. What machine do you have or are you planning on getting one?
mrmill3218
AG
I have a flair manual espresso maker.
heddleston
AG
Does your Flair have the basic pressurized portafilter? If so, you can probably go cheaper on the grinder. If not, you're probably looking at the Lido 3 Et or a Kinu Phoenix(if you can find one).
mrmill3218
AG
I have the classic, which does not have the pressurized ports filter. I will check those grinders out. Appreciate the tip.
vanderhoosen
AG
Nice! I started espresso with the Flair Neo. Ended up getting a Gaggia Classic later.
heddleston
AG
No problem, those seem to be the cheapest hand grinders with stepless adjustments (or at least very fine steps). I have a Commandante C40 and while it's phenomenal for brewing, I'll probably have to spring for a $50 upgrade to the adjustment mechanism if I decide to get into the espresso game. The the Lido's burrs are absolute beasts btw.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.