Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Snapper ideas

1,871 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I murdered a bunch of Mingos (Vermillion Snapper) and some White Snapper over spring break.

We are hosting a dinner party for about 12 people this week and I am planning to serve snapper in multiple ways.

I am planning on doing a traditional ceviche (my go to is Rick Bayless' recipe) with chips as an appy. I may also offer an alternative ceviche with some fruit.

The filets I have left are smallish, which is fine for ceviche, obviously, but will likely make anything else other than frying (which I don't really want to do) a more delicate operation.

I am going to do blackened and am planning to go with the traditional Prudhomme preparation.

But I want to offer something else I can do in the oven or stovetop, with maybe a miso glaze.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Also a bit stuck on sides. I want something pretty easy, or at least something I can prep in advance, as I will have my hands full with turning out the blackened and other option. I was thinking maybe corn on cob and Cole slaw.
PlanoAg98
AG
PAPPADEAUX SNAPPER PONCHARTRAIN
wildcat08
AG
Can I come?
FIDO*98*
AG
Ever done En Pappiote? One of my favorite ways to prepare Snapper. I'd do a simple miso-mustard glaze (miso, Chinese mustard, honey, slash merin) and put it on a bed of Bok Choi, onion, and julienned carrots & zucchini tossed with oil, sesame oil, soy, and merin in the parchment wrapper. Garnish with scallions

Basically it would be this in a pouch
Ornlu
AG
DTP02
AG
I have done it for whole fish before. I think I followed an Alton brown recipe which had more of an Italian flavor profile.

I've been a little concerned about preparing blackened or grilled because the filets I have left are smallish. Scalability to 12 people is also an issue.

How do you think it would work with maybe 2-3 small filets in each wrapper? That would help with scalability, and maybe adjust the cook time down a bit?
FIDO*98*
AG
It would work well for a large group because you can prepare ahead of time. Since the filets are small, I'd give the veggies a quick cook in a wok first so they don't undercook in the packets. Cool them down before you build the packets and then everything can go in the fridge even a day ahead if you need to. Pop in a 425 oven for about 15-20

Also, forgot to add I put ginger powder in the miso glaze
DTP02
AG
Any concerns about liquid from veggies and glaze getting thru the parchment if prepped a day ahead? I'm liking this idea if I can prep in advance.
FIDO*98*
AG
Not until now. Take a damp rag tonight and roll it in Parchment in the Papillote style. See what it looks like tomorrow. I'd guess you'll be ok
Gilligan
AG
Small filets are great for fish tacos.
Dr.Rumack
FIDO*98* said:

Ever done En Pappiote? One of my favorite ways to prepare Snapper. I'd do a simple miso-mustard glaze (miso, Chinese mustard, honey, slash merin) and put it on a bed of Bok Choi, onion, and julienned carrots & zucchini tossed with oil, sesame oil, soy, and merin in the parchment wrapper. Garnish with scallions

Is there anything FIDO can't pull off? Would totally hire you as our private chaf.
austinag1997
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

FIDO*98* said:

Is there anything FIDO can't pull off? Would totally hire you as our private chaf.

I have to check Meriams Webster for 1/2 of his terms. Embarrasing.
DTP02
AG
I did the snapper en papillote as the last snapper course for our Mexi-Caj-ian dinner party this weekend and it it turned out great. Moreover, being able to prep in advance and cook at the last minute was a godsend for entertaining a bigger group.

First course was ceviche in individual cups with chips. I used my go to recipe base from Rick Bayless https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/classic-ceviche. This is a traditional Mexican preparation which has manzanilla olives in it, not something you see in most modern ceviches. Don't skip the olives. I did not use olive oil as I feel it detracts from the fresh taste, and I squeezed the juice of an orange on there before the final stir. I did not put the onions in with the fish while "cooking" in the lime, but instead just cut the onions a little smaller and added after the fish was done soaking in the lime. I left the fish in the lime for a little less than 3.5 hours before draining and adding the rest of the ingredients. Turned out great and got rave reviews. One of my favorite ceviches I've had, but there's nothing like cooking your own fish from the ocean so that's part of it.

(Second course I steamed some Alaskan king crab legs since they had a good deal at HEB)

Third course was a traditional blackened snapper. I had been wary of blackening smaller filets, but that didn't turn out to be an issue at all. Just needed a little less time between turns and a little closer watching. The bigger problem was that I've never done blackened fish for a group that big, which meant that I couldn't use cast iron. I used my stove top gas griddle on an oval burner which has worked great for searing steaks. I couldn't get it quite high enough to pull off the true blackened char crust on the first batch, although it was still quite tasty. Maybe I didn't let it heat up long enough because the smaller second batch got the crust I was looking for, although I tend to credit that to there being 2/3s less protein on the griddle. Tip here is to make sure the butter you dip the filets in isn't hot and that your fish is nice and cold when you dip it, as the butter sticks to the fish better if it's cold, and the butter (more than the spices) is where you get that good blackened crust and flavor from.

The fourth course was based on Fido's recipe above, what I have dubbed Miso En Papillote Nipponaise. I hit up the Asian grocery for some Miso, and also bought some interesting looking Mirin while I was there but, dangers of buying from the Asian grocery, it was overly sweet with corn syrup so I went with the Mirin I had in the pantry. I did not prep the night before, but I did prep several hours ahead of time which made it so much easier to pull off a multi-course meal for 12 while also making cocktails for everyone and just generally being a host.

I softened the veggies ahead of time in a wok w sesame, peanut, Chile oil , and garlic, cooking the carrots and onion a little longer, and then adding the zucchini, then the Bok Choi near the end. I splashed in some rice wine vinegar and soy sauce while cooking. Next time I think I would throw some minced ginger in at the beginning. Once the veggies were cooked I cooled before making the packets.

The miso glaze I just did to taste until I got the right mix of savory, heat, and sweet, along with a good consistency for spreading on the filets. It was primarily miso with some Chinese mustard, honey, and a little Mirin. I sprinkled a little Ginger powder and just a bit of 5 spice because I have a super-taster in the group who I like to keep guessing.

Assembling the packets was super easy, and I passed it off to my lovely sous chefs after making the first couple as exemplars. I used precut parchment 15" x 12" parchment sheets which was the perfect size. I could see them possibly being a bit small if the packets were the entire meal instead of just one of several courses.

Lay down the parchment, healthy tongful of cooked and cooled veggies, and then laid either one larger or two smaller filets on top of the veggies, and then spread the glaze on the filet before folding packets around the veggies. Filled two cookie sheets with packets and stuck in fridge until ready to cook. We went for 15 minutes at 400 and I took a packet out to check and it was perfect.

Because you're steaming in the packets I think the timing would be pretty forgiving, and the fact that different size filets turned out well bears that out.

The savory/umami of the miso with the lightly sweet of the honey and slight heat of the mustard was a great combo while still being delicate enough to not overwhelm the snapper. Great finish to the meal and being able to prep in advance made it all so much easier to pull off. And the presentation is fun as well.

Thanks to all, and especially Fido, for the recommendations.
Duncan Idaho
I am proud of myself for not making the obvious General board jokes on this thread
DTP02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I am proud of myself for not making the obvious General board jokes on this thread

I don't think that particular euphemism is still much in use. Might be dating yourself a bit with that.
Duncan Idaho
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.