Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

NOLA first timer - places to eat

5,929 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MW03
GIF Reactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at travelling to New Orleans with wife + 2 kids (12 and 10). Please offer your recommendations on places we need to eat. Thanks in advance!
jwag
AG
Felix
Central Deli
Luvi
Cochon

Many more.
aggiespartan
AG
Cafe du Monde
ORAggieFan
Bayona
La Petite Grocerie
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Mother's
Central Grocery
Bruce Almighty
AG
There's many great restaurants, but I'm not sure how kid friendly they are. My favorites are Commanders Palace, JW Fins and Revolution, but there's no kid's menu on their website. Drago's is a good spot for lunch, their charbroiled oysters are my favorite single bite in the city. They also have a kids menu. I ate at Brennans when I was a kid and don't recall any issues.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Central Grocery followed by Cafe Du Monde is a must for lunch.
GIF Reactor
AG
Thanks! Sounds like Central Grocery is a must. We had Cafe du monde on the list for bignets.
JCA1
AG
Huge fan of Cochon.

Domilise's for po-boys over Mother's for me.

Camilla Grill for breakfast.
kithas
AG
What part of town are you staying?

Ye Olde College Inn
Boucherie
Jacques IMO's
Brigsten's
Clancy's
Patois

Brunch at Ruby Slipper or any other great local place

100s of options are available. I've been living here for 3 years, let me know a neighborhood or style of food you're interested and I'll try to refine that list.

Also, need to check out a snowball stand, like Hansen's or Sal's.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Cochon is awesome

Cafe Du Monde and Central are both good first time visit places, though I learn towards skipping central if I have to pick with someone new.

Really like Johnny's for po boys in the quarter.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
+1 for Camilla Grill for breakfast
The Gumbo Shop in the Quarter for lunch/dinner
GIF Reactor
AG
kithas said:

Ye Olde College Inn
Boucherie
Jacques IMO's
Brigsten's
Clancy's
Patois

100s of options are available. I've been living here for 3 years, let me know a neighborhood or style of food you're interested and I'll try to refine that list.

Not sure - looking for recs on that. With the 2 kids, we need somewhere that will be easy and safe to walk in the day and night. We'd probably want to walk down Bourbon Street to say we did, but that won't be the focus. Just wanting to enjoy the food and sights with the family. Find some kid/family friendly stuff to do.
GIF Reactor
AG
Definitely some seafood and cajun. I looked up the Central Grocery, and I'm not a huge fan of the muffuletta, but when in Rome...
aggielax48
AG
Johnny's
Port of Call
kithas
AG
The French quarter is easy to stay with tons of good food, some good museums and antique shops (M. S. Rau on Royal is practically a must-see, some of their stuff is unreal). The French Qtr is Maybe not the best for kids, but fine during the day. The aquarium, insect museum on Canal are great. Even though touristy, we enjoy the mule carriage rides that depart from Jackson Square.
Garden district is a nice area to have some walks / the zoo is fairly nice as well if the weather is nice.
GIF Reactor
AG
There are 10 Cafe du Monde locations on their website. All the same?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

First time go to the one across from the Cathedral and Jackson square
schwack schwack
AG
I'd stay in the French Quarter. How much will you be out & about at night anyway? I'd think kids your age would think it was cool.
TxSquarebody
I'm convinced one could eat at a different joint in NOLA every day for a few months and never have a bad meal. That said, I never miss an opportunity for oysters at Drago.
thisguy05
AG
Superior Seafood is excellent.

Not a food rec, but check out City Park. Lots to see.
GIF Reactor
AG
schwack schwack said:

I'd stay in the French Quarter. How much will you be out & about at night anyway? I'd think kids your age would think it was cool.

Just to go eat probably. I just don't want to be in a bad spot if we need to walk. I suppose Uber is an option, if those are back up and running.
GIF Reactor
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

First time go to the one across from the Cathedral and Jackson square

Will do
Bulldog73
AG
And I'll echo from my travel board post that I'm still a Cafe Beignet fan over Du Monde, but I recommend both. Johnny's po-boys was an A+ for us too. I think they may be cash only.
Bulldog73
AG
We've stayed a few places, but for the budget both Courtyard and Springhill Suites were good for us, both off Commerce Street. We don't mind walking though, and it is a hike to places on Bourbon or Jackson Square.
GIF Reactor
AG
Bulldog73 said:

And I'll echo from my travel board post that I'm still a Cafe Beignet fan over Du Monde, but I recommend both. Johnny's po-boys was an A+ for us too. I think they may be cash only.

I definitely want to try the po-boy.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Du Monde definitely isn't the best in town but I think the experience of the Jackson square location is worth being your first NOLA beignet, though I guess it's probably not quite the same right now.
GIF Reactor
AG
kithas said:

Ye Olde College Inn
Boucherie
Jacques IMO's
Brigsten's
Clancy's
Patois

Hotel Monteleone seems to be the most recommended, Place de Armes (sp?) Is right behind Jackson Square and seems easier to walk to a lot of the recommended spots. If we stayed @ monteleone, Uber seems to be the best option to get over to these spots - or is it not as far as it looks? 4 blocks over, 1 to 2 blocks up.
Sazerac
AG
Kids will like Ruby Slipper

Peche for lunch (or dinner) is one of the most underrated spots in town. Hush puppies, oysters, red drum, cocktails

Cochon butcher for lunch

La Boca is a great smaller place for dinner

Rendezvous for high end dinner, crab beignets appetizer

Commanders for brunch is quintessential

Carousel mid day and then late night with music

The ww2 museum is amazing and immersive. Can spend 4-8 hrs there. Kids should like it if into history or military.
Sazerac
AG
If you can stay at Montelone do. Put the kids to bed and enjoy the live music and Carousel bar with the wife.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Damn looks like John Besh doesn't manage the WWII museum restaurant anymore, it used to be outstanding especially for some place like that.

That is a great museum though
Stupid@17
AG
Stop by the French Quarter market. It's a tourist trap, but there are occasionally some good food and souvenir options.
beagle2009
AG
Ruby Slipper, Mothers, and Johnny's are all musts and all kid friendly.

I also cannot recommend the WWII museum enough. Your kids should be just old enough to really enjoy it.

I would also look into one of the guided swamp tours in the area. I can't recall which one we did, but was a highlight of our most recent trip. Our guide had live snakes, baby alligators, and other critters onboard for show and tell.
Hwy30East
Mr. B's Bistro in the quarter.
JCA1
AG
Not food related, but while you're wondering around the French quarter, pop in Michalopoulos' art gallery. He's one of NOLA's preeminent artists and his NOLA architectural paintings are really cool to see in person. Think it's on Bienville.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.