Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Yuengling Finally Coming to Texas

11,259 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AustinCountyAg
Boat Shoes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/2021/01/14/confirmed-yuengling-will-start-selling-beer-in-texas-stores-and-bars-in-fall-2021/
Ornlu
fav13andac1)c
AG
AggieBarstool
But... I've bought Yuengling in Texas before. How is this news?
FancyKetchup14
AG
Boat Shoes
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Really? Where?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Boat Shoes said:

AggieBarstool said:

Really? Where?
Yes, really excited to hear this answer and what distributor that retailer purchased it from.
HTownAg98
I'm willing to try it again, but I don't remember it being all that great.
expresswrittenconsent
HTownAg98 said:

It's not.
fav13andac1)c
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

HTownAg98 said:

It's not.
It certainly doesn't belong on the Beer Thread, but it definitely belongs in the beer fridge. It's better than the big 3 and is around the same price, which makes it appealing to some. There's a reason I compared it to Lone Star and not Pliny the Elder.
John Francis Donaghy
Yes! Yuengling doesn't compete with craft beer, it competes with Bud, MGD, and Coors (and Yuengling Light with Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light). And Yuengling beats them all by a mile without being any more expensive. No reason to ever buy any other cheap beer once Yuengling is on the shelves.
AggieOO
meh.
Duncan Idaho
expresswrittenconsent said:

HTownAg98 said:

It's not.

I put it in the same category as Pearl before they went contract with Miller in the late 90s.
Just a great "drinking to get drunk/need a keg for a party" beer.
jh0400
AG
I'll probably pick some up occasionally, but if I'm looking to drink cheap beer it's hard to beat High Life.
Duncan Idaho
High Life is the champagne of beers after all.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
After the recent influx of California people, I kinda miss the days when we hated yankees coming down here. Maybe bringing in their mediocre yankee beer will swing the tide back their way. I don't think there is any way for both groups to stop moving here, and if they did some other group would fill their void and probably be worse than both.
wspagg
AG
Yuengling is horrible.
jetch17
AG
beach beer.
Post removed:
by user
John Francis Donaghy
jayelbee said:

East coast Shiner

Shiner wants like $10 for a 6-pack these days. Yuengling wants $6. Less when it's on sale.

Yuengling is what Shiner should be.
GAC06
AG
Yuengling is a lot better than Shiner
Matsui
AG
jayelbee said:

East coast Shiner

Agreed
Ornlu
AG
Do you just enjoy being wrong, or is it painful for you?
TexAgs1992
Yuengling is not a great taste, less filling so why is this news?
GAC06
AG
Ornlu said:

Of all the things Texans are irrationally proud of, shiner is near the top of the list.
sanitariex
AG
GAC06 said:

Ornlu said:

Of all the things Texans are irrationally proud of, shiner is near the top of the list.

THIS
AggieOO
Don't forget blue bell. While it is good and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, there's much better ice cream out there.
Chipotlemonger
AG
AggieOO said:

Don't forget blue bell. While it is good and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, there's much better ice cream out there.

Good point. At least a differentiator with Shiner's main offering is that it's a Bock, and not just another domestic lager.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I like it. Lived in Philly for a short while and got hooked on it. I'm not a beer officionado but I find it more robust and flavorful than most cheap beers like Bud and Coors, but pretty light and easy drinking compared to most dark beers, even Shiner. It's like a nice "medium" beer that plenty of people will turn their nose up to, but if you like it, don't be ashamed.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

AggieOO said:

Good point. At least a differentiator with Shiner's main offering is that it's a Bock, and not just another domestic lager.
Sorry to be that guy, but it is a domestic lager and not a bock, despite their clever marketing. Besides, bock is technically a lager anyway. Shiner and Yuengling are not too terribly different.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The more you know! I figured 'technically' it's not a Bock like you would brew at home or get traditionally. Just a way to signal to people that it's going to be a little...darker? Or caramely? than most domestic lagers.

That being said, I much prefer Yeungling to Shiner.
YouBet
AG
This is like anything else that is scarce. If it's hard to get, it becomes desirable regardless of quality.

One of the better comedies out there was made based on this very topic.
Duncan Idaho
I remember having to sit between cases of Coors on our summer roadtrip to visit family.. it was like our own mini Smokey and the bandit
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I remember having to sit between cases of Coors on our summer roadtrip to visit family.. it was like our own mini Smokey and the bandit
My uncle used to make runs to CO back in the day to get it. Also, we just watched Smokey and the Bandit not too long ago and it's still fantastic. It has aged well.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
YouBet said:

This is like anything else that is scarce. If it's hard to get, it becomes desirable regardless of quality.

One of the better comedies out there was made based on this very topic.
Funny, I texted the story to a buddy of mine (who is far more of a beer aficionado that I am, but who is a fan of Yuengling), and his response was "I don't know, if I don't have to bootleg it in, I'm not sure I'll like it as much."

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.