Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Does anyone cook on a Salt Block?

1,889 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bam02
aggivedave16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was gifted one recently, but don't have any experience in cooking (or eating) on salt blocks. I'll likely give it a shot in the next few weeks, but if there are any recommended recipes and/or tips, I'm all ears!
Duncan Idaho
Use mine more for serving than cooking
Mark Fairchild
AG
Howdy aggivedave16, I did the salt block thing some years back. Did not find it to be significantly better than just plain grilling. Plus you have to be sure and super heat the thing in over prior to use to insure it has no moisture. Then be very careful you do not break the darn block. All in all was more a PITA than a big boon to my grilling. Just my humble opinion.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
True Anomaly
AG
Agreed- I think it's a gimmick more than anything. If you season well, I don't think it adds anything to your cooking
Girlhowdy
AG
I cook salmon on mine. I heat it in the oven. Delicious results!
matt97
AG
I have a salt egg for inserting in a whole chicken, works ok if you forget to brine, but brining is way better.
bam02
AG
I got one for Christmas from my brother. He was so excited to give them out. I've used it a few times grilling in my Traeger. Just chicken and burgers so far. I'm not going to baby it so if it breaks it breaks. I actually think it adds a little to the final product but it's nothing earth shattering (except when I tell my brother about it).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.