Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Quesadilla question

1,921 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to make quesadillas tomorrow on the Blackstone, but not sure what is the best cheese to use. Any particular kind you guys like? Kids are going to be eating it as well, so nothing abnormal that's going to burn going in and out.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I like Colby jack fresh shredded off a block.
Gabster43213
I agree with Fancy.
Max Power
AG
Monterrey Jack is my go to when making quesadillas, other options would be Oaxaca and cheddar. The key to making awesome quesadillas is having enough fat on the surface of the griddle so that it basically fries the tortilla and gets nice and crunchy.
JAG03
AG
I also like to lightly cook/toast the inside portion of the tortilla before filling and cooking the quesadilla.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Chihuahua, Monterey Jack or Muenster
FIDO*98*
AG
HEB Mi Comida Quesadilla. If you aren't near an HEB, regular Monterrey Jack
aTm2004
AG
Appreciate the responses. I'll take a look and see which one I'm going to try.
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

HEB Mi Comida Quesadilla. If you aren't near an HEB, regular Monterrey Jack

Good recs

aTm2004 - you're in Kingwood right? HEB at WLHP and KW drive has the mi comida in the case along the back wall of the deli. Walk past the cheese cases and round the corner... back there.
aTm2004
AG
Thanks. Going to grab some of that to use today. We've used cheddar in the past, but they've also been cooked in the microwave. With new toys come new adventures. Movin on up...
DiskoTroop
Another good tip...

Butter the tortilla. Thank me later
Texker
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Another good tip...

Butter the tortilla. Thank me later
Yep. I use La Abuela tortillas. Perfect every time!
Bruce Almighty
AG
My favorite quesadillas have chicken, bacon, Monterrey Jack and muenster cheese, sliced jalapenos and cilantro. One thing many people don't do is to cook both sides of the tortilla. Cook two tortillas in butter, flip, add toppings to one and top with second tortilla and brown on both sides.
Monywolf
Whatever cheese you use, shred it yourself. The pre-shredded is coated with potato starch to keep it from clumping. It doesn't melt as well.
cc10106
My go-to for quesadillas is HEB's Mi Comida brand shredded cheese. They have several different types for $2 per package, and they won't go bad in under a week like others do.
aTm2004
AG
Not too bad. Got the Mi Comida from HEB and went to the La Michocana in New Caney and got some beef and chicken. All-in-all, not too bad. Will cook again.

Fancied it up with the paper plates.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.