Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Your Bourbon wait-list

4,028 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by harleyds2
TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a whiskey drinker myself, but like to be a good host. I have some Maker's Mark, some high-rye Redemption for Old Fashioneds, and a little Weller 12 year left as a top-shelf selection, which is almost gone. I know it'll be hard to replace, and will probably call my nearest Spec's and Total Wine to get on waiting lists. I'll ask to be put on several lists. What should they be?

Name your top 5 or so Bourbons. No Pappy or other absolute unicorns... something you'd reasonably expect to actually get, and nothing too outrageously priced.
John Francis Donaghy
If you really want to stock a top shelf option, grab an Old Forester 1920. Should be able to buy it without wait lists.

Otherwise, I'd say just get a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch. It's just a great all around bourbon and on shelves everywhere for about $30. Honestly, I don't know of any bourbon fan that would turn their nose up at Elijah Craig. And honestly, if they do, they probably care a lot more about the label than the bourbon.
lazuras_dc
AG
Top 5 that I could go buy right now:
OF 1920
Makers Private Label
Blade and Bow
4roses single barrel/sm batch select
Woodford

Top5 you'd be put on a waitlist for and maybe possibly get
EH Taylor single barrel
Stagg jr
Blantons
Eagle rare
Old Weller antique. (The only reason id want a w12 for us to make poor man pappy with my owa)

TX AG 88
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. I do want "good" but if I can get one I'd also like "good+interesting" better, from the "you don't see one of those every day" perspective.

Appreciate suggestions of both types... keep 'em coming.
Sazerac
AG
Don't bother on specs waitlists.

For your top shelf you can usually find in stores;
Rare Breed
OF 1920
Belle Meade cask
Knob Creek 120
Elijah Craig for more affordable
Matsui
TX AG 88
AG
Not Specs? Too many people already signed up? Better to try smaller mom & pop stores?
Max Power
AG
I don't drink often enough to have many recommendations but I do have a bottle of Jeffersons's Presidential Select that I bust out on special occasions. It's under $200 and it can be found if you head to a decent liquor store.
AggieChemist
AG
Just look for anything that says "bottled in bond". It will be surprisingly good at the price point. And there are many you can walk up and buy today.
ThatOneGuy
AG
Belle Meade cask strength is great but isn't being made any more. They dropped the proof to 108.3 and it is labeled as reserve. I haven't seen the cask strength on any shelves in months. Fortunately I was able to grab a couple bottles once I heard the word and they all got bought up.
Ornithopter
AG
The Belle Meade Reserve is great though! Don't reject it without giving it a try.
SpiderDude
AG
ThatOneGuy said:

Belle Meade cask strength is great but isn't being made any more. They dropped the proof to 108.3 and it is labeled as reserve. I haven't seen the cask strength on any shelves in months. Fortunately I was able to grab a couple bottles once I heard the word and they all got bought up.

Really regretting I didn't do the same.
SpiderDude
AG
I know you asked for Bourbons but I'd always stock a good Rye as well. I'd recommend any of:
-Rare Breed Rye
-KC Cask Strength or SiB Ryes
-Pikesville
-Rossville Union
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Man at one time I had a half case of Eagle Rare can't believe it's so "rare" now
AggieBarstool
AggieChemist said:

Just look for anything that says "bottled in bond". It will be surprisingly good at the price point. And there are many you can walk up and buy today.
Yeah, OP should definitely pick up a bottle of Mellow Corn to impress the guests. /s

Latrobe
AG
I think any bourbon drinker would appreciate the following (and all are available)

OF 1920
Woodford Reserve double oaked
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (Rye is incredible as well)
Russels Reserve Single Barrel
Four Roses Single Barrel

Every single one of those is around $50, relatively easy to find, and just as good as any bottle (<$100)......even the ones that are hard to find (Blantons, Eagle Rare, OWA, Weller 12,........ect.)

my opinion,.... and I currently have an opened bottle of every whiskey listed above
country
AG
Everything listed is great whiskey. I have never had any whiskey distilled at Buffalo Trace that wasn't a great drink. Everything from the namesake label to Pappy is awesome out of that place. Aside from that and all listed, I'd throw Michters into the mix. Both the bourbon and the rye is really good IMO.
Naveronski
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Top 5 that I could go buy right now:
OF 1920
Makers Private Label
Blade and Bow
4roses single barrel/sm batch select
Woodford

Top5 you'd be put on a waitlist for and maybe possibly get
EH Taylor single barrel
Stagg jr
Blantons
Eagle rare
Old Weller antique. (The only reason id want a w12 for us to make poor man pappy with my owa)

Fall92
AG
And Evan Williams Single Barrel.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
SpiderDude
AG
AggieBarstool said:

AggieChemist said:

Yeah, OP should definitely pick up a bottle of Mellow Corn to impress the guests. /s

It's actually not bad. Unique in its own way. I wouldn't knock it.
AggieBarstool
SpiderDude said:

AggieBarstool said:

AggieChemist said:

It's actually not bad. Unique in its own way. I wouldn't knock it.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I very much enjoy this, and other, BiB offerings (they make up about half my bourbon collection at the moment).
TX AG 88
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have a good list to go off of now!
Matsui
AG
Bought old forester 120 and four roses small batch bc of this thread. Got it at total
Wine
harleyds2
AG
Get some taos lightning for a conversation piece
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.