Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas/Cowboy caviar

2,443 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gilligan
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife does not like the variations of standard black eyed peas recipes that I always force her to eat for New Years. However she does like Texas caviar, but I've never made it myself. Are there any secret ingredients y'all use?

What about the dressing? Anything more than oil, garlic, honey, and lime?
jwag
AG
I use salad vinegar in mine.
FIDO*98*
AG
FIdo's famous New Years Day Black Eyed Pea recipe:

Open a can of Black Eyed Peas
Eat one for good luck
Discard remainder of can
Goodest Poster
AG
I do BEP and Purple Hulls the same.

Sautee onion, dice up some bacon, add a little chicken stock and season it like chili. Add the beans, fill with water. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer about 2 hours.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If 2020 doesn't convince you that eating black eyed peas for good luck is dumb, I guess nothing will.
jc1402
AG
I make a dip that I call Texas Caviar that I like and most people who try it like. Its great with tortilla chips. All the ingredients below you can mix and add however you want since its all pretty basic.

Pre-made Pico de Gallo from HEB. I use the hot version.
Can of black beans
Can of black eyed peas
Red wine vinegar (add to taste)
A little olive oil
Seasoning - I usually use Tony's, but you can mix in lemon pepper or just go salt and pepper, or whatever you like.
Shredded cheese (again, if you want)

Also, I'll get the jalapeno or lime or whatever versions of the black beans and black eyed peas to mix it up every once in a while. Just remember to drain the cans before you add.
Absolute
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If 2020 doesn't convince you that eating black eyed peas for good luck is dumb, I guess nothing will.

Well, I survived and had a pretty good year as did my family. Maybe that BEP was the reason? Besides, I kind of like them.
HTownAg98
I hate Texas Caviar. I try it every time it shows up at a potluck, hoping my opinion will change, but I'm always disappointed because it usually fails because of one of these, if not both:
1. It uses canned black eyed peas, and they're always mushy.
2. The seasoning/dressing is bland, because people forget that properly seasoned + bland = bland.

If I were to make this, I'd start with fresh black eyed or purple hull peas (grocery stores will have them this week), or use dried peas and soak them overnight. I'd cook them with some smoked ham hocks, onion, and garlic, with plenty of salt, and cook them until they are just barely done. And make sure whatever dressing you are using has enough salt and acid in it.
Martin Cash
AG
Creole Blackeye Peas

In 2 TBD melted butter, sautee one chopped onion and I small chopped green pepper.

Add 2 packages or 2 cans blackeye peas, 1can Rotel tomatoes, 1- 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, 2 TBS chopped parsley, 1 bay leaf, 2 cubes chicken bouillon, 1/2 tsp celery seed, 1 clove chopped garlic, Salt and pepper.

Simmer covered for 20 minutes.

Add 1 cup cooked rice and one pound sliced sausage. Simmer 15 minutes.

We took thermos bottles full of this to eat before the '88 Cotton Bowl vs. ND. They brought us good luck.
Seven Costanza
AG
The name "Texas Caviar" annoys me for some reason.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Best way to get you helping of BEP. Great dip for games too:

http://sarahsprague.com/2011/12/21/new-years-day-lucky-black-eyed-peas-dip-with-chorizo/
Tumble Weed
The farm patch often has fresh peas this time of year. They also have frozen in the deep freezer next to the counter.

They don't even remotely taste the same as canned.

We grow our own and hand shell them and freeze them. Eating a double portion this year with a couple of slices of corn bread.
Tailgate88
AG
Take your favorite red beans & rice recipe.
Sub black black beans and black-eyed peas. (soak overnight and boil yourself, not out of a can.)
Profit.
Gilligan
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Fido's famous New Years Day Black Eyed Pea recipe:

Open a can of Black Eyed Peas
Eat one for good luck
Discard remainder of can
Best post of every New Years Day!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.