Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite ice cream recipes

11,010 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right now, we've got passion fruit, mint chip, and 2 different vanillas in the freezer. I may have an ice cream making problem.
schmendeler
AG
the problem is that you don't have enough eaters, to me.
htxag09
AG
This thread.....

Bought the containers mentioned above. Have vanilla, mint chip, and chocolate layered with Oreos (again, thanks for the above). Have enough cream, half and half, and eggs for another batch. Plus have another container. What's everyone favorite?
schmendeler
AG
Cinnamon is really good. You can crush up graham crackers and layer them in, it tastes a bit like an apple pie.

I also made a fresh ginger ice cream that was good and very different, if you want something to really mix things up.

Both recipes I made were from the perfect scoop.
aggiespartan
AG
Mango habanero sorbet has been requested and is my project for this week. I'll probably figure out 2 more flavors to serve after a crawfish boil on Saturday.
bigtruckguy3500
Are the ice cream makers that take ice and rock salt better, or the ones that do the frozen bowl better? I feel like the frozen bowl ones just don't get cold enough long enough to get icecream. You end up with something more inbetween softserv and a milkshake in consistency.

But I haven't made icecream in years either.
aggiespartan
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Are the ice cream makers that take ice and rock salt better, or the ones that do the frozen bowl better? I feel like the frozen bowl ones just don't get cold enough long enough to get icecream. You end up with something more inbetween softserv and a milkshake in consistency.

But I haven't made icecream in years either.
My ice cream maker has a self refrigerating compressor. All of the recipes that I have seen say to churn to soft serve consistency and let it harden more in the freezer for better texture, although I have not looked up the science on why this is better. I'm sure someone else can chime in. I do know that if you over churn it, you can get a fatty mouth feel.
htxag09
AG
I got one with the frozen canister for Christmas and haven't looked back. Honestly, comes out about the same for me. And the canister is always still plenty cold when I'm done, it'll still freeze water when I put it in the sink. And it's about 1000x more convenient than my old ice and salt machine
schmendeler
AG
If the texture is less firm than soft serve, you've got a problem. Either not letting it go long enough or the freezer bowl isn't cold enough.

All homemade ice cream that I've ever had is less firm than what you get out of your freezer when it's done churning. You just let it firm up in the freezer after and you get that hard, scoopable texture.
Bulldog73
AG
I've never had homemade ice cream I love, and I think it's because we try eating right after it's through churning so it's always super soupy.
schmendeler
AG
"Soupy" is not a great outcome
aggiespartan
AG
Yea......shouldn't be soupy. My machine will churn it to a harder consistency if I set it to, for eating immediately. Maybe you just haven't used a decent machine or method.
Bulldog73
AG
No doubt that I haven't. I know it can be good, just haven't experienced it yet.
aggiespartan
AG
Vanilla ice cream with Indonesian vanilla beans. I thought it was pretty good, but husband says he still prefers madagascar beans, followed by Tahitian, then Indonesian.

RooAg
AG
Got an ice cream maker and have tried their vanilla recipe twice. It is 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. It isn't bad but tastes too much like Cool Whip. Any suggestions on how to make it more Ice cream tasting and less whip cream tasting? Or just try a new recipe?
schmendeler
AG
RooAg said:

Got an ice cream maker and have tried their vanilla recipe twice. It is 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 1 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. It isn't bad but tastes too much like Cool Whip. Any suggestions on how to make it more Ice cream tasting and less whip cream tasting? Or just try a new recipe?

Try one that uses egg yolks and see if you like that more.
aggiespartan
AG
What kind of vanilla extract did you us?
RooAg
AG
Adam's Extract Pure Vanilla Extract. The vanilla taste was ok I think. Just the overall ice cream was cool whippy. That vanilla bean looks good if I can find the recipe.

I'm trying to keep it somewhat simple because my young kids like to help. Eggs and sous vide seems messy for them!
htxag09
AG
You can do egg without sous vide. I just did the recipe for vanilla from the perfect scoop book. After heating up the cream you steep the vanilla in it for 30 min. Makes tempering the yolks even easier as the cream mixture is substantially cooled.
schmendeler
AG
My wife invested in my ice cream making habit for Father's day. Got me the highly recommended "Hello, My Name Is Ice Cream" and a second freezer bowl and then some more tubs!

Looks like I've got some work to do.

Bulldog73
AG
I'm happy to report that we've worked at it and made much better ice cream this year. I didn't love the taste of the banana, chocolate chip, peanut butter, but the buttered pecan was top notch. We've got a few more to try out this summer.
Max Power
AG
Bought The Perfect Scoop and my daughter and I made the Philadelphia style chocolate for national ice cream day, and it was pretty tasty. There were definitely some other recipes I wanted to do instead but I let her pick. Reminded me of the Dutch chocolate from Blue Bell from back in the day. Didn't want to go with the custard style since she couldn't really help with tempering egg yolks. Next time I'll do the picking.
htxag09
AG
I've been wanting to do a Philadelphia style to compare to our normal custard style.
aggiespartan
AG
We've cleared some room in the freezer, so it's time for me to make some more ice cream this week. I think I might keep it simple and do some vanilla bean with chocolate flecks. I guess I need to make some more plain vanilla too because I saw my husband put some root beer in the fridge last night.
BurnetAggie99
Homemade Frozen Peach Custard

Texas Grown Peaches
9 medium sized fresh peaches (peeled, pitted and chopped - 2 cups)
0.75 cup sugar

Custard
6 cups heavy cream highest butterfat content
3 cups of whole milk(A2 Whole Milk Preferred higher butterfat content)
2.25 cups sugar
0.75 teaspoon salt
12 egg yolks
3 teaspoon pure real Mexican vanilla

Peaches

Place chopped peaches in a bowl. Add cup sugar and stir. Cover and let sit for at least 1 hour. Once peaches have released a lot of juice, place peaches and juice in a food processor. Pulse 3-4 times just until peaches are broken up into small pieces.

Custard
In a saucepan, heat heavy cream, milk and cup sugar and salt. Warm over medium heat, stirring often until the sugar has dissolved around 3 to 4 minutes.

In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with a wire whisk or an electric mixer. Take cup of heated cream mixture and pour slowly into egg yolks. Whisk steadily while pouring in mixture. Pour egg mixture back into remaining cream mixture. Reheat over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes stirring often.

You do not want this mixture to boil. Mixture will begin to thicken slightly. You want it to be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. An instant read thermometer should read 175 degrees.

Place a fine strainer over the top of a bowl. Pour custard mixture into strainer to strain off any small bits of egg or lumps. Stir in vanilla and peaches with juices. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Place custard into an automatic ice cream maker and churn for 20-25 minutes. Remove ice cream and place in 0 degree freezer for min of 2 hours before serving.
Max Power
AG
If making Philadelphia style you'll want to add something to keep it from freezing rock hard. A couple of different ingredients can help, alcohol is one, nonfat powdered milk is another. If using alcohol you can use anything from vodka which has no taste, to rum, bourbon, or brandy (or use all 3, like Alton Brown's eggnog) which you can use to enhance the flavor. I've had good results adding a couple of tablespoons of nonfat powdered milk to the base. Also if you run the base through a blender for a bit, it can incorporate a ton of air which also helps keep it from turning rock hard in the freezer.
HTownAg98
That looks damn good. I wonder what caramelizing some of the peaches would do to the recipe.

Does anyone have a good Tin Roof Sundae ice cream recipe that they like? It's one of my favorites, and is almost impossible to find.
AustinAgChef
Made this two days ago and churned yesterday. Fantastic recipe. Rich, smooth and creamy.

This would make an awesome vanilla custard base to add whatever flavors you would like.
Max Power
AG
Got a batch of orange sherbet chilling in the fridge to churn this afternoon. Using Alton browns recipe but subbed the milk for half and half.
htxag09
AG
Bump

Anyone have any good holiday recipes? Going to make egg nog and possible sweet potato w/ maple glazed pecans, both from the perfect scoop.

Would love to try a peppermint bark type recipe
htxag09
AG
I'm case anyone was on the edge of their seats….I'm making this peppermint ice cream:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019105-peppermint-stick-ice-cream

Will report on all 3 later

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.