Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite ice cream recipes

11,009 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm churning the mint ice cream out of The Perfect Scoop right now. I don't really like how it smells, but maybe it will taste better than it smells to me.
schmendeler
AG
What's the deal with the smell?
schmendeler
AG
I made the honey Roquefort (actually my HEB only had Gorgonzola) and whew that was funky! Something that you can only eat a very small scoop of at one time, but really interesting. I put the smaller amount of honey and I would up it next time. It wasn't sweet enough and was fairly salty.

schmendeler
AG
Also, I made the malted milk ice cream and added some cocoa to it to make chocolate malt ice cream. It's pretty tasty.

aggiespartan
AG
Smelled like eggs. Somehow when I started baking a lot of meringue a few years ago, I got really sensitive to the smell of eggs.
aggiespartan
AG
Do you always eat your ice cream in ramekin sized portions?
Max Power
AG
schmendeler said:

Also, I made the malted milk ice cream and added some cocoa to it to make chocolate malt ice cream. It's pretty tasty.
That sounds markedly better than Gorgonzola.
schmendeler
AG
With the homemade, stuff, usually. I'll make a huge bowl of Bluebell but for some reason I get miserly with myself when it comes to eating homemade.

Although that scoop of blue cheese ice cream was more than enough.
schmendeler
AG
I imagine that will be reduced when it's frozen.
schmendeler
AG
Hahaha no question
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

With the homemade, stuff, usually. I'll make a huge bowl of Bluebell but for some reason I get miserly with myself when it comes to eating homemade.

Although that scoop of blue cheese ice cream was more than enough.
That's kind of how I felt about the olive oil ice cream. Although, I think it would be really good with some lemon.
schmendeler
AG
I like the idea of olive oil ice cream a lot. I've also seen ATK's Olive oil cake and it sounds really good and simple.
BigN--00
AG
I don't know which recipe she used, but my wife made some with peaches and graham crackers that tasted like peach cobbler.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm not sure how much vanilla you make, but we did a taste test last night. The top is with Madagascar (about $15/ounce) vanilla beans and the bottom is Tahiti ($11/ounce). There was a definite difference, and honestly, I could prefer either any given day. The Madagascar was the deep vanilla flavor that you're probably used to in a lot of stuff, and the Tahiti was a lighter, more floral flavor. The Tahiti reminded me a little bit of bluebell French vanilla. I think a mix of the beans could be pretty good to get the notes from both. I ordered the beans from the vanilla bean co op online and was happy with the product I received.

Bobcat-Ag
Since these all sound delicious, and I don't have an Ice Cream maker, what are you using to make this amazing ice cream?

I don't need a top of the line, would prefer spending less than $100 on it.
hbc07
AG
We use the Breville Smart Scoop which is just a bit outside of those requirements.
aggiespartan
AG
I think Cuisinart probably has some machines within what you're looking for. There are some homemade ice cream groups on facebook and a lot of people seem to use them.
Bobcat-Ag
hbc07 said:

We use the Breville Smart Scoop which is just a bit outside of those requirements.
Wow! It sure does look nice though.
aggiespartan
AG
It's super nice! It only took asking for it for Christmas/birthdays for like 3 years.
htxag09
AG
Just made a batch of this. Going in the fridge and will churn it tomorrow. We'll see how it turns out.

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
aggiespartan
AG
I have a mint chip in the freezer that I churned yesterday along with a passion fruit ice cream. I used chocolate flecks instead of chips/candies though.
htxag09
AG
We bought some bakers chocolate and will do a rough chop of it instead of the mint chocolate recommended. Or I guess will. Haven't added them yet
htxag09
AG
Spartan, for those vanilla recipes how much vanilla do you add? I usually make altons recipe but don't use the vanilla sugar. I use the recommended 2 tsp of extract but think it could use more.....
aggiespartan
AG
htxag09 said:

Spartan, for those vanilla recipes how much vanilla do you add? I usually make altons recipe but don't use the vanilla sugar. I use the recommended 2 tsp of extract but think it could use more.....
For my "chip" recipes, I've been melting 1oz of chocolate with 1T of coconut or vegetable oil and pour it in when it's time to add mixins. It gets chopped up as it churns.

So for about 3 cups of milk/cream, I've been doing 3 beans. My ice cream maker can handle about 1 quart of ice cream. I used a recipe that made about 2 - 1.5 quart batches that called for 5 beans.

I also add 2 espresso beans to my vanilla ice cream to steep/mature. They get sifted out when I sieve out the vanilla pods. It really brings out some of the vanilla flavor.

I will also say that different types of vanilla tastes a lot different than others, so the number of beans I use might become dependent on which vanilla it is.

Edit to add that I don't really like vanilla extract in ice cream. I think it has a much cleaner flavor with actual beans.
schmendeler
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Since these all sound delicious, and I don't have an Ice Cream maker, what are you using to make this amazing ice cream?

I don't need a top of the line, would prefer spending less than $100 on it.
this is the one i have. i like it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/dp/B0006ONQOC/

i'm looking to get a second bowl so i can either make more of one flavor at the same time, or do a variant.
schmendeler
AG
My new favorite for now is this combo. Chocolate (this stuff is good) with banana and Oreo.

I mash up some very ripe banana and add it towards the very end, then when transferring to the container to set up in the freezer, I layer in crushed Oreo as I fill it.
schmendeler
AG
also, i think these are pretty good for freezer storage. the lids stay flexible even when at freezer temps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5BHYL8

aggiespartan
AG
We like these better. They are easier to scoop out of.
Ice cream containers
schmendeler
AG
i looked at those and liked the shape (and capacity), but some of the reviews said that the lid doesn't actually seal; it just sits kind of sits on top?
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

i looked at those and liked the shape (and capacity), but some of the reviews said that the lid doesn't actually seal; it just sits kind of sits on top?
It sort of pops on, but I always push down some Saran Wrap or parchment paper on top to make sure air doesn't get in. I do that for the containers you posted too, though.
schmendeler
AG
interesting. might have to try those out, too. thanks!
aggiespartan
AG
FWIW, the husband prefers the oblong ones too, and he doesn't make it, he just eats it.
schmendeler
AG
that's a very important audience.
Bobcat-Ag
I bought that exact one and will be delivered today! Now I have to figure out what to make first.
schmendeler
AG
it's hard to beat a classic homemade vanilla. but chocolate is pretty great, too.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.